Note to New Members ×

My Board Sleeve Idea

Art

I have cleared this with Fin so bear with me. A few years ago, I had an idea for a padded board sleeve, hand made, custom one off if desired, for any length of board. I figured that since we spend so much on our custom boards, why not protect the investment. My idea involves a local manufacturer, and the product is 100% made in the U.S.A. You can store multiple decks with a padded seperator between each (the limiting factor is the binders, but leaving the second board kit in place is o.k.). These will fit in the wide version of the SportTube, will slide into your car (in the trunk, between the seats, in the roof box and even in the buttondowns). When you get to the hill, you can carry your extra decks to the skicheck and leave them there in a cozy little bag, protected from the elements. I you want, we can even make two single sleeves and put zippers on the piping so they can be attached and seperated as you like. I am including some pictures and the link to the retail site (click on review inventory and go to the bottom and click on the blue board sleeve logo). You can email me with questions, for prices and more pictures and if you are interested in a bag, leave me your number. Thanks, Art

http://phunnybaggs.com/

http://www.myspace.com/phunnybaggs

post-120-14184223495_thumb.jpg

post-120-141842234952_thumb.jpg

post-120-141842234954_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those look great, Art.

My favorite board bags have been flat cheap ski bags, where you just slide the board in and fold the flap over and connect a buckle. I like it a lot better than having to run a zipper all the way around the bag. Bindings (binders, whatever you want to call them) fit no problem. This looks like the same idea, but better at protecting the board. I like it.

How much are they going to cost, have you figured that out yet?

i want the same but made in china :) ;)

I have travelled a few with surfboards, and my experience is that the rails ( edges here are what is subject to suffer in airlines)...i am just wondering if a special airline traveler model with extra strong side protection could be available.

I remember my ProLite's had extra stiff foam about 5-6mm thick that was wider than the board ( for stitching) making like a taper on the sides that would be taking all the shocks ( prolite site ).

also nice would be able to fit a large swallowtail along with carving board ( aka wider and longer board ( 30 width and 200 length)...but its already a specialized stuff.

nice design :)

Nils

can't find pricing on the site, but I'd be interested in the triple!

could you add a pocket to the outside to hold bindings/tools?

Yeah, the tree sleeve version looks pretty sweet. I don't usually carry three boards with me, usually just two (Ride Kildy 159 and Donek FC II 175).

Having the option of a third is a good idea ... I want to get an access eventually to replace the Burton Alp I have ... its like riding on your garage door...

I think three boards is the perfect number. A bouncy, tight-turning SL board, a perfect carving machine, and a board for less-than-perfect snow and powder.

I agree that some kind of tool/junk pocket on the exterior would be cool.

Fellas, Thanks for the interest! Just a few things. With respect to BOL, I was asked not to list prices on the site. Fin has graciously allowed me to post this little plug so I respect his wishes. This enterprise is just getting off the ground, there are still a few wrinkles to iron out. Phunnybaggs is working on a pricing menu for his site so hopefully in a few days. While you could probably fly with these, I HIGHLY recommend that these go in a tube. It was designed more for home to hill type travel, but has done well in a tube. I sent one to the Session for the raffle last year but never found out who won it. If you know, I would like to hear from him/her. I would love to bring some to the '08 SES and hope to have a few more for the raffle. In the mean time, you can contact him directly with questions through the links on this post. Keep in mind this is sort of a two man show right now, but we wanted to see what kind of interest was out there. If you want to talk to me directly. shoot me an email and Ill give you a call. Thanks again, Art

Hey Art, have you tried selling any on ebay? I've had amazingly good luck selling a product I've been building for airplanes (Control locks). It's a good way to get an idea of what people are willing to pay. A detailed ad with lots of good pictures is the key. BTW I got your email, the prices aren't bad at all.

The idea was to try to keep it somewhat simple. In fact I have a Dakine Highroller, and I like the sleeve better, and if I were to fly, I would put the sleeve in the Highroller or tube and when I get to my destination, I use the sleeve as intended. I guess having "loose" boards in the High roller or tube sort of gave me the creeps. It may seem sort of redundant, but.....just thinking of another way to protect something we put so much thought into buying.

The idea was to try to keep it somewhat simple. In fact I have a Dakine Highroller, and I like the sleeve better, and if I were to fly, I would put the sleeve in the Highroller or tube and when I get to my destination, I use the sleeve as intended. I guess having "loose" boards in the High roller or tube sort of gave me the creeps. It may seem sort of redundant, but.....just thinking of another way to protect something we put so much thought into buying.

I also have a high roller from Atomic which I wil put this sleeve into it when I will go by plane for the first time this season (I hope). Otherwise I use it to lay my boards into my roofbox, with another two pair of skies and another five pair of boots. Just to make sure my boards won't hurt :biggthump

As Nils, I am searchin' for a bigger sleeve with a toughprotection for my Tinkler 202 and two more carveboards. PM sent.

Hans, I would like to see how this comes out!! :biggthump

Perhaps making 3 at a time might save a couple bucks?

I have a 202 and a 203 (maybe a 203.5 in the future)

Cool!!

I would like to make some simple "Socks" also, more like the BOL sleaves, but

longer and no sling handle (they always just catch on stuff and get torn off anyway! )