Note to New Members ×

Binding setup question

Guest gabriel

I just got a new board and bindings and was setting everything up when I noticed that the bindings seem a little large for the board. The bindings stick out past the sides of the board almost half an inch, toe and back. Have I got my bindings setup correctly? If so, is this going to effect the way I carve/turn/etc?

(I've got a Ride Control 158 with Ride Ex bindings (size L). )

I just got a new board and bindings and was setting everything up when I noticed that the bindings seem a little large for the board. The bindings stick out past the sides of the board almost half an inch, toe and back. Have I got my bindings setup correctly? If so, is this going to effect the way I carve/turn/etc?

Welcome to the alpineboard community:

set up your bindings

welcomecenter

At first you won't really notice it... But as you progress as a carver (if that is your intention) your toes and/or heels will start dragging in the snow... That's bad. It causes what we call toe-out, which is when your toes drag so much that it lifts your snowboard off of the snow.

Here's a site with some good illustrations and such which should make it easy to get started.

http://www.raceboarders.com/setup.htm

Also, I'm not sure if you've done it yet, but read through the bomber online welcome page (http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm) and other tech articles (http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/tech_articles.cfm) for some more good tips. I've read them all at least once... :D

Welcome to the world of carving. I hope you like it cause you're gonna be addicted to it in no time. :biggthump

Not sure if you guys realized judging from responses...if you did I mean no harm but Gabriel is on softboots and soft bindings.

Gabriel:

1/2" on either side isn't bad but I'd stay within 3/4" if you want to lay the board over and realy carve it. the key is not the binding overhang but your boot overhang with said bindings as well.

My experience on toe-side 1-1.25" overhang is ok but not ideal...less is better. 3/4"-1" toe overhang is good. Heelside is easier to power over and get the board more verticle plus most riders can pressure the edge more on a heel-side so less overhang here will help. Best is to make both overhang the same so turns are initiated more or less with the same pressure.

Anyway your 1/2" is a good startng point. What angles are the bindings set at now?

J

The bindings should not stick out at all. We can't really answer your question properly without knowing your boot size and the width of the board at the inserts. But here's a couple of ideas:

1. Try angling the toe end of the bindings more towards the front of the board until they don't overhang.

2. Buy some Palmer PLS to lift your bindings.

Hope this helps.

Yes, unless you have them cranked up at a real steep angle, soft boots will almost always hang over, depending on foot size of course. But having the bindings themselves hang over just seems like there's something wrong.

Maybe we can get a picture or something?