Note to New Members ×

Where to go snowboarding in Italy in Dec?

queequeg

Dolomites is not close to Rome. But Cervinia is not closer; I'd say just as far away. Both are on the northern border of Italy; and Rome is halfway down the "boot" of Italy.

I think gio was suggesting that the dolomites are closer with regards to convenience factor, (if not actual distance travelled), with regard to the an overnight train directly from Rome to Brunico (Bruneck)/Plan de Corones, which also provides access to the dolomites via 20 minute free bus ride. That said, I think my heart is set on Cervinia ...

I've never been to either one, but I'm pretty familiar with where Rome is :-) .

I think gio was suggesting that the dolomites are closer with regards to convenience factor, (if not actual distance travelled), with regard to the an overnight train directly from Rome to Brunico (Bruneck)/Plan de Corones, which also provides access to the dolomites via 20 minute free bus ride. That said, I think my heart is set on Cervinia ...

I've never been to either one, but I'm pretty familiar with where Rome is :-) .

Queequeg, you totally got the point! :biggthump

Ciao, Gio

Wow! I've been mentioned... am I not?!

;)

Unfortunately, I am not in the forum so often in this period... too busy with my job...

But... I'm here to give some information:

december is early in italy for winter season but... not too early.

I mean: skiarea usually open but the lack of snow is becoming a problem for that period in the last years.

If you come to Rome, the resorts close to Rome are not so wide (except for Roccaraso, 2 hours of driving, about 100Km of slopes).

The one where I go is about 1.30hours of driving but is smaller (about 40km): fortunately, it has got very wide course and A PERFECT PREPARATION (I'm a fan of their preparation, as you can see in the posted pictures)...

In december, I usually book in Cervinia:

http://www.riccardoriccardo.com/Galleria/VARIE/Cervinia%2812.2006%29/slides/O_M_Cervinihard02.jpg

http://www.riccardoriccardo.com/Galleria/VARIE/Cervinia%2812.2006%29/slides/O_Riccardo_AnHard02.jpg

http://www.riccardoriccardo.com/Galleria/VARIE/Cervinia%2812.2006%29/slides/O_Riccardo_Cervinia04%20004.jpg

Higher area (up to 3600-3800, I think) but... 700Km far from Rome. ;-)

You have to choose...

If the snow is fine near Rome, we could have together a session here! Otherwise... you should travel a lot to find the snow...

:)

Hope that helps,

Ciao!

Wow! I've been mentioned... am I not?!

;)

Yeah I have always been jealous. Guy lives in Rome one of the coolest cities in the world. Has enough time off to drive mid week to some ski resort within 45 minutes of the city, no one on it, perfect grooming for the trencher and he is the only one to track it up.

Sounds good to me.

:biggthump

Yeah I have always been jealous. Guy lives in Rome one of the coolest cities in the world. Has enough time off to drive mid week to some ski resort within 45 minutes of the city, no one on it, perfect grooming for the trencher and he is the only one to track it up.

Sounds good to me.

Ehm... 1.5 hours to go and another 1.5 to come back... ;)

Small resorts but... you're right... not so crowd during the week, epsecially in the early time. :)

Ovi.jpg

Unfortunately... last season has got almost NO snow...

A very uncommon case that I hope will not present anymore. :(

Wow... the game is getting tough!

Hi,

I didn't intend to start a picture-posting-war ;)

Anyway, another thing to consider: the weather.

When the weather is bad, it's better to go to a tree-lined resort. Like Kronplatz, for instance.

When there's bad weather at Cervinia, you don't see anything because there's no trees alongside the slopes.