Note to New Members ×

Book: The Fundamentals of Snowboard Carving and Racing

Hollywood 90210

The pic is Nicholas Huet. I'd like to look like that too but I've never been able to take something I read on the internet or in a book and applt it to my riding. When I try, I overthink and blow up. My best progression has come from watching others in real life or on video and trying to mimic the moves I see.

leaving aside the "ATN"and "dirty sanchez will not be denied" for a minute. I'd honestly like to see this book. I got pretty good at translating picture and description to reality while I was in Japan...of course a day spent with a real instructor would be good too...note to self; need to find time/money to visit an instructor

Okay, I just ordered it. I did send a couple of questions to Marc because I wasn't interested if there was too much emphasis on softboot setups. He wrote back, "Lots of stuff for both hard and soft booting, with significant discussion of modern alpine race techniques, with photos and diagrams".

Incidentally, at 56 he's almost as old as I am.

"When someone does something (hopefully) positive for carving do you see that stealing is correct answer?"

you mean like cloning the Extremecarver? :rolleyes:

joke appart...agreed with you Pokkis... Marc has done a long work here, asked us if we could give him riding pics and use some infos that he was nice enough to consider usefull to his purpose.

Nils

The pic is Nicholas Huet. I'd like to look like that too but I've never been able to take something I read on the internet or in a book and applt it to my riding. When I try, I overthink and blow up. My best progression has come from watching others in real life or on video and trying to mimic the moves I see.

Sometimes I find myself gleaning some useful knowledge of how the physics of carving works from reading articles (or in this case a book), or find it useful just to see carving some another persons perspecive but I agree that I have learned the most by simply watching people that I think are impressive or have great style. I find that I learn the best from examining other people on the slope or sometimes looking at photo sequences and visualizing myself doing the same thing. Seems all wacky and zen but it really works for me. Sometimes the aforementioned physical knowledge comes in handy when thinking about this stuff and visualizing what it is that I want to do.

That said, I think I'll order this book if for no other reason than just to support the sport and maybe learn a thing or two.

I agree, i've been trying to learn myself from photo sequences windsurfing, slalom skating and carving several years. And sometimes it is great hepl, specially when timing of photos is correct. Same goes also when watching films in slow motion, then you really can get all out. Running carves of good rider on 1/8th speed yoy really can see what makes difference, on slope or on track. DVDs are great, i have ruined some many tapes in history doing this :mad: