Note to New Members ×

Another kiter death.

dano

re:Dano, fear the kite for it is all that is evil........ ok by evil I really mean awsome and some day you may be hogtied by willy and forced to try. then where will you be, all hooked on the kite but still telling your friends how unsafe it is but still runny down to the beach when noone is looking to go kite!!!! It like freackin heroin!!!!

I don't fear kiting or even think it's particularly dangerous. I started this thread to hopefully get someone to avoid being drowned in seemingly tranquil conditions and scaring beachgoers with your dead body.

I do maintain that kiting just looks silly to me personally and I really just love to windsurf.

As for getting passed by a kite-bum when the wind was shutting down on my 95 liter sinker and a 5 meter sail, that's about as much of a feat as passing a motorist that is out of gas on the highway.

I could have stayed kept planing on bigger gear, but I promised my little girl I would go to her ( aurgh! ) soccer game.

edit: Man that's some wind graph...It SURE DID drop off at 3!!! Wish I got there earlier! Well at least I got some good wind on my last time there, well at least until the no kiting rules come back next summer.

I do maintain that kiting just looks silly to me personally and I really just love to windsurf.

until the no kiting rules come back next summer.

it's so silly- kiters wear shorts OVER thier wetsuits for no logical/functional reason.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Fashion-Police

Windsurfing was never this silly, obtuse or counter intuitive :smashfrea

I'm sure it feels great, but it does look pretty silly. It's hard to explain.

I think this video looks exactly like somebody kiting and captures what I mean.

Get it now? That's how goofy it looks to me! Like an adult on a swingset.

(I also think that vehicles loaded 10 feet high with windsurfing gear look silly.

If there are no children along I try to keep my stuff inside the rig for this reason. Schlogging on a sinker is also very silly looking.)

Bjorn was at the US open (althought to film at skyline not to compete) I hung out with him a bunch, great cat, super sick powered front loop to switch just fast and even with the kite. Alex peterson was kite looping up to glide Boscos hill at skyline when one of the local guys Kenny comes gliding down on a Flysurfer speed 19 Kenny was about 50-60 feet off the hill and could have gone as far as he wanted to but he put it down before the road. Alex was just shocked, he has really been the only glider in the US then My friend Jake smaked the whole hill and then so did Chasta, then Bjorn and his friend Claus went higher then everyone just pumping their kites for height every one just stopped and watched in awe, so sick. Chasta said his friend J.J. switches the bar and flys foward. When I twisted my knee this winter it was from a loop out of a glide but I was still to close to the hill and I swung into the base of the hill.

what Bordy is getting at is that you can flick the kite back and forth to maintain loft in a head wind, flicking and pumping it.

Damien Leroy is a master at it, plus he's a small, super strong guy.

bonus footage:

I met his big brother,Ray, on the Cape this summer. Super nice guy, ex ski racer from Vail, pimping Eclipse kites and Skywalker boards with Dimitri

http://www.eclipsekites.com/

the wind died that day we hung out boosheeting for hours-

gave ray my extra pump since his crapped out-

Look forward to seeing him again, prob in DR, said he'd buy all the Presidentes I could drink( that's ALOT of brews )

post-123-141842235878_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842235881_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are there ever any slalom races? I would think jump-passing and the tangled wrecks around markers would be highly entertaining.

Kite Jousting would be sweet!

BTW, Is kiting still banned at Lac Bay for hitting snorkelers? We're thinking about a Bonaire trip this winter...

kitercross can get pretty hairy. The course has a few "obstacles" to clear like a giant speedbump. Way nastier than course racing sailboards.

Snow kiting has some boardercross races. Bordy would know.

BX on the water

Montana snowcross

Brasilians snowkiting in Chile

As expected, no tight racing is possible, too dangerous to pass with the general lack of control and comically huge 200 foot long rigs.

Much more comparable to figure skating as you just watch one person spin around and jump.

How's the leg willy?

post-182-141842236319_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...