Note to New Members ×

Prior Swallowtail Question

Jim

Hey Jim,

I have the 07 176 Powstick and I have bought, but not ridden the 166 Spearhead. I do not know how the Nitro rides. Refried broke the nose on a newer Powstick in heavy powder, so, if he does not chime in, you might PM him. I do not know his weight or riding style, but he has a fine quiver of swallow tails and might provide some good info. His post is here.

The Powstick nose is soft. It provides great float at low speeds. I always end up in some trees and find the Powstick quick turning and agile, but probably not the best for blasting open powder bowls. I like lots of turns in the soft stuff and it works really well for me. I have not ridden it in heavy powder yet. I have ridden a Rossi Undertaker 185 and I felt like it needed a lot more speed to really run than the Powstick and wanted to make much bigger turns.

Hand flexing the Spearhead says that it is stiffer all around. It also has a shorter nose than the Powstick. I am looking very forward to trying it. I expect, obviously, it will ride somewhere between my 160 Khyber (which I enjoy very much) and the Powstick. Oh yeah, I am a light weight at 145.

Good luck, Buell

Hey Jim,

I have the 07 176 Powstick and I have bought, but not ridden the 166 Spearhead. I do not know how the Nitro rides. Refried broke the nose on a newer Powstick in heavy powder, so, if he does not chime in, you might PM him. I do not know his weight or riding style, but he has a fine quiver of swallow tails and might provide some good info. His post is here.

The Powstick nose is soft. It provides great float at low speeds. I always end up in some trees and find the Powstick quick turning and agile, but probably not the best for blasting open powder bowls. I like lots of turns in the soft stuff and it works really well for me. I have not ridden it in heavy powder yet. I have ridden a Rossi Undertaker 185 and I felt like it needed a lot more speed to really run than the Powstick and wanted to make much bigger turns.

Hand flexing the Spearhead says that it is stiffer all around. It also has a shorter nose than the Powstick. I am looking very forward to trying it. I expect, obviously, it will ride somewhere between my 160 Khyber (which I enjoy very much) and the Powstick. Oh yeah, I am a light weight at 145.

Good luck, Buell

Yeah, I think I'd like the stiffer 176 Prior Powstick compared to my soft 178 Nitro Powder Gun. The 178 seems to ride as short as my 156 HD Burton Fish, so a 176 Prior may be what I am looking for. I have a 165 Prior Khyber which feels a little long for trees. It is my go-to board for pow...but a SWT has great lift in the nose and flows rail-to-rail without feeling like it is all nose. I'll try refried and AL.

The Spearhead looks like the Dupraz. There is a lot of taper on the Spearhead too. Combine that with a narrow nose?...seems like it would ride short and loose. Kind of retro.

Yeah, I think I'd like the stiffer 176 Prior Powstick compared to my soft 178 Nitro Powder Gun. The 178 seems to ride as short as my 156 HD Burton Fish, so a 176 Prior may be what I am looking for. I have a 165 Prior Khyber which feels a little long for trees. It is my go-to board for pow...but a SWT has great lift in the nose and flows rail-to-rail without feeling like it is all nose. I'll try refried and AL.

The Spearhead looks like the Dupraz. There is a lot of taper on the Spearhead too. Combine that with a narrow nose?...seems like it would ride short and loose. Kind of retro.

I have ridden the 165 Khyber and felt it was too big for me, the 160 feels just right. The 176 Powstick rides sort of between the two and definitely bigger than the 05/06 Fish, but as you mention, has a much different feel. It might be just what you need. :biggthump

Check with Prior on my test review of the big stick. I lost my copy due to computer crash.

I strongly recommend the 181; in powder, it will predictably launch you into the next turn, turn after turn. Don't forget it is a rocket ship. If straight lining in the steeps is your thing, you will feel right at home on this rocket. Clearly, a big mountain board. Don't forget the APO RR Swallow, it is worth checking out.

Bola

www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

Thanks, I'll weigh the 181 vs 176 carefully. My 178 Nitro sometimes feels way too short. I'll check the Prior site.