Note to New Members ×

insight on new entertainment center

Gleb

If you do go and get a tv you will be better off with 1080p.

Come 2009 when analog is dropped the cable co will be able to offer more hd content and 1080p is coming. Analog channels use more than 50% of the cable co bandwidth so come 2009 they will have a lot of possibilities to offer new and better things.

Just so you know you will not need hd in 2009 just a cable box to convert the digital signal to analog so your tv can use the signal, and if you already have a box you are most likely getting all digital signal anyway.

also dlp offers a much better value

save your money and keep what you have, once you get into the credit circle, sometimes it is hard to get out.... sure it sounds sweet now to get all the cool stuff, but when it comes time to pay, watch out, the payments will be a real pain in the ass . Then you get more stuff, then more etc, pretty soon you will be using cards to pay off other cards.

this is the best advice in this thread.

get the 1080p, cause when your still paying this thing off in 4 years it will delay the point where technology passes you and you are still paying for a piece of junk.

Come 2009 when analog is dropped the cable co will be able to offer more hd content and 1080p is coming.

When I was between careers in 2000, I worked at a high end hi-fi and custom home theater installation company. The word back then was that FCC had mandated all carriers to go completely digital by 2006. Ayuh.

Gleb... don't do it man. The only way I see this remotely feasible is if you have -zero- student loans.

Start small and work up. When I was in college I bought a great 2-channel system for reasonable cash. (discrete 5-channel was brand new) I got a pair of open-box Boston Acoustics HD7's and a used Nakamichi stereo receiver. It sounded almost as good as the system I've worked up to today (sub-bass range notwithstanding). I hooked it up to my discman and a hi-fi 4-head VCR and I thought I was rockin'.

I had no debt when I graduated. I have friends who are still hobbled by college-era debt, 10 years later.

I guess my advice to you is to be frugal. Buy used, buy display models, etc, and pay with cash. You'll be happy.

neil, I really like that forum. I'm gonna look over it in detail tonight. Looks like its full of all sorts of good stuff. Thanks :biggthump Also, the few extra $ I save by going down in resolution would not even be noticed in 3 years of payments. Managerial approval...LOL!

KJL, cnet's advice was to do just that; more than 50'' def go for plasma. They said the burn in problem was almost completly gone, but you are still at risk.

cail, thats a good idea I've never thought of. I'm going to give myself more time and look more into that now. But I doubt spending $1000 on a processor than more $ on the tv will actually work out.

7stg, I decided to go with your advice and not go with a best buy card. I'll be applying for a lukoil card this weekend since they have the cheapest gas in boston by sometimes 10 cents. Its also where I dropped way over $1000 on gas last winter since its down the street.

Trailertrash, thats why I want to get the best thing avaliable now.

Jack, I decided to wait a bit till probably after winter. No need to put financial stress on myself with my favorite season approaching when I already have everything i need for next summer (3 kiteboards and 4 kites-I got a sweet package deal from a friend) and my Loaded Dervish (thank you bomer)

Maybe if there are some sweet christmas deals, I may bite. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone for your help. You all have given me something to think about.

anyone know anything about the Vizio L42 HDTV?

link: http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/188805/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I preffer best buy's plan with the 3 years no interest so the westinghouse 42'' looks more favorable.

dude...

if you want vizio, try tigerdirect.com.... they do some financing, and i picked mine up at the outlet in my city for less than $1000 with extended warranty

42in plasma, schweet pix, great brightness

granted, i put mine on my rewards card, got my free gas, and paid it off the next month

http://www.secondact.com/

Might be worth consideration.

I recently purchased a Marantz receiver and it is working just fine. Saved about 30% compared to brand new.

Here's their deal of the day (Sept 16th):

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 4px" vAlign=top>

m9268llarb.jpg

Pricing

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=gray>MSRP:</TD><TD class=gray align=right>$399.99 </TD></TR><TR><TD class="orange twelve">Our Price:</TD><TD class="orange twelve" align=right>$179.99 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=gray>You Save:</TD><TD class=gray align=right><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!-- var y = (1 - (179.99 / 399.99)) * 100;document.write (Math.round(y));//--></SCRIPT>55 %</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD vAlign=top>secondact_theme_tellafriend.gif

<!-- rating --><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px dotted; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 1px dotted; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 1px dotted; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>btn_reviews-257x19.gif</TD><TD align=left>0.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- /rating -->Product Details

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=gray>Brand:</TD><TD class=blue align=right>Apple</TD></TR><TR><TD class=gray>Model:</TD><TD class=blue align=right>M9268LLA</TD></TR><TR><TD class=gray>Condition:</TD><TD class=blue align=right>Refurbished by Third Party</TD></TR><TR><TD class=gray>Warranty:</TD><TD class=blue align=right>60 Days Parts/Labor </TD></TR><TR><TD class=gray>In Stock Status:</TD><TD class=blue align=right>Normally ships in 1 - 2 days<!-- quantity: 30 --> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%">Shipping Options - select in cart

<TBODY><TR><TD class=gray>Ground</TD><TD class=orange align=right>$0.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=gray>Second Day Air</TD><TD class=orange align=right>$109.99</TD></TR><TR><TD class=gray>Next Day Air</TD><TD class=orange align=right>$199.99</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

• 1 year later...

Gleb,

are you ready to " go digital " ?

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/sHvYdduH4i5nXRdHvmWJVA"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/sHvYdduH4i5nXRdHvmWJVA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

you could have a WCR metal

Do they sell Priors at Best Buy now?

I do not like discover or American express because they charge a higher fee to merchants.

FYI - any "rewards" card will cost the merchant more than Amex. Don't know about discover.

Just realized this is an old fashioned thread revival. Oh well padding the post count. :biggthump