Note to New Members ×

Opinions?

Jrobb

SO I stepped into the light last year. Spent about 6 weekends on Sazukas and my A-Frame 170. I'm still getting the hang of railing that board and prior to that I'd been riding for 15 yrs the last few pretty aggresively.

Question is at 6'3" 195 (215 in gear) would a 162 Hot Shine run screaming in fear from my manly mass? Or would it be a decent stepping stone toward and illustrious carving career?:rolleyes: I think at 162, the Hot has a longer edge than the 170 so whadyall think?

J

Hmmm, a 173 Volkl Renntiger is a good step up, 11.7 sidecut, soaks up irregularities well, good carving machine. Probably any 170-180 ish board w/a 11.5-12.5ish sidecut will probably be where you want to go next, all specs depending on where you ride. If you have any riding buddies to demo boards off of, do it. That will help you more than any single recomendation recieved here. Though the Volkl is a good default to board....

You weigh just a tad more than I do. In retrospect I believe a nice damp board in the 11 - 12 meter sidecut range early on would have been the best tool for the job of practicing and growing my skills. Anything smaller (which is what I was on) and and turns were too much in rapid-fire succession. Bigger and too much speed was required to lay it into the 1st turn.

I've got a Donek FC 175 Olympic in awesome shape that I would sell if you're interested... it's not a cheap deck though. It's more "quiet" than "damp" (hello, quotation police!) but very easy to ride and would be a fantastic tool for skill-building.

Blue: Not sure. I saw a good deal on a barely used board. I had been steering for 168-175ish.

Jon: I'll keep my eyes peeled. No riding buds per se (mostly the "unclean"...skidders). I rode with Lonerider once or twice but due to pow conditions and slush the other I was the only one HB'ing. I ride Kirkwood and a few other Tahoe resorts.

Mike: Appreciate the offer but I'm not ready to plunk down more than about 150 on a learning experience just yet. Once the chain requirements get posted I will likely be singnig a different tune.

J

Low to mid 170's would be a better choice as stated above. LOL D-Sub?

I know that my friend in Santa Cruz (Holmes) is going to post a used 171cm Nidecker Tornado in great shape in the BOL classifieds (coming soon). That board or something very similar would be the best size range to start with :AR15firin

--Hugh

Dude, I live in Benicia and have a growing quivver form a 169 4WD to my just purchased 188 burner. 172, 177, and 184 in between. I normally ride Sierra/Northstar, (season pass) but I'm sure we could hook up some this season and you can play with the toys. I am always looking for carvers to ride with, it's just more fun and makes you better.

Dude, I live in Benicia and have a growing quivver form a 169 4WD to my just purchased 188 burner. 172, 177, and 184 in between. I normally ride Sierra/Northstar, (season pass) but I'm sure we could hook up some this season and you can play with the toys. I am always looking for carvers to ride with, it's just more fun and makes you better.

Sounds like a plan. I'm usually up there on weekends. Just secured a place to krash in South Lake whenever too so I'll be getting more days in this year. I like toys:biggthump

J

Cool! We have a time share on Pioneer that we can also rent really cheap when we go up. Americana Village. It's about a hundred yards before you hit 50 where the 7-11 is. They call the renting 'Bonus time'. Last time I looked at the price I think it was $39 for the studio. (They rent them out for 80-100) Once I check in I can ask for additional bonus time rooms at the same rate for friends. (I can usually call ahead and ask if they think they will have availability, but I can't book until I check in. It's a glorified motel, but, sauna, hot tub, and the pool is at 85F. They brag it's the warmest pool on south shore. They have 1 beds for 10 to 15 more that sleep 6 if you like fold outs, but have a full size fridge and stuff. It's busy on the weekends and if somebody leaves the blower on too long the spa isn't that hot, but overall pretty cheap at bonus time price and great pool/sauna/spa action. This is not a resort, pretty quiet place.

Not poking fun at you in particular - that quotes thread made me laugh and I had forgotten who had started or contributed to it.

twas me that started, and I did have a particular person in mind. funny rant that one, eh?

you can poke fun at me all you want. I'm fun-pokeable. Just don't actually poke me.

SO I stepped into the light last year. Spent about 6 weekends on Sazukas and my A-Frame 170. I'm still getting the hang of railing that board and prior to that I'd been riding for 15 yrs the last few pretty aggresively.

Question is at 6'3" 195 (215 in gear) would a 162 Hot Shine run screaming in fear from my manly mass? Or would it be a decent stepping stone toward and illustrious carving career?:rolleyes: I think at 162, the Hot has a longer edge than the 170 so whadyall think?

J

Hey Jrobb

IMHO that 162 Hot Shine is too short for your height and a medium flex may support 180# at best. Nice board though. Post up on tahoecarvers.com before heading for a session. I should be at Kirkwood and Mt Rose on weekdays. That 173 Nidecker Tornado worked well for Holmes as a new carver board. He is similar in height/weight as you.

Been thinking about this a little bit. My 172 is a well broken in F2 Speedster. I went from a 164FP to this board which was a decent length change and quite a SCR change. I hardly felt it. It was comfortable right away, just more edge. Might be just the thing for starters. Once you start ripping you will probably want something stiffer.

Hey Jrobb

IMHO that 162 Hot Shine is too short for your height and a medium flex may support 180# at best. Nice board though. Post up on tahoecarvers.com before heading for a session. I should be at Kirkwood and Mt Rose on weekdays. That 173 Nidecker Tornado worked well for Holmes as a new carver board. He is similar in height/weight as you.

Good to know Jim. I'll definitely post up once it starts to get fluffy.

SEJ: I look forward to trying the 172 if not maybe picking up the Tornado.

J