Note to New Members ×

anyone see the new ipods?

bobdea

Heard about it. Not particularly interested. I'm not really an i-kinda guy. It's gotta piss some people off though, when they go buy an iphone for 600 bucks, then in a couple months they both come out with the new ipod touch and also drop the iphones price by 200 bucks. I'm not the kinda guy to dislike big businesses and all that, but I'm disliking apple more and more.

there were a few companies that looked into how much it actually cost to build the iPhone.... it's estimated to be somewhere around $200-250. if they increased the memory and kept the price at 400 i'd consider getting one. then again, might as well just get the ipod touch (it's got everything i wanted out of the iphone anyway).

It's gotta piss some people off though, when they go buy an iphone for 600 bucks, then in a couple months they both come out with the new ipod touch and also drop the iphones price by 200 bucks.

The naive would be surprised but the tech-head demographic always knows that will happen. I guess this market segment is known as Early Adopters. They pride themselves on getting the hottest technology soonest regardless of price or product maturity. In a sense, these people PAY to be Beta testers.

Me??? I still use 8 track. I'm so 70's

I don't like iPods much for a couple of reasons:

-Battery is not user replaceable

-Needs iTunes (I hate that software)

-Proprietary USB conector

-Overpriced

Here's my take on their offering:

-Nano: ugly format, copy of the Creative Zen V+

-Classic: old model repackaged with a bigger drive (160 GB is a LOT of space)

-Touch: copy of Cowon iAudio D2 (with a browser and Wi-Fi, but no memory card slot for expansion).

For info on other mp3 players: http://anythingbutipod.com/

...160GB iPod "classic". I can finally fit everything (and then some) I have on one iPod. And The battery life on that thing is amazing... 40hrs. of music and 7 hours of video. I could drive to Denver from where I live (Dallas) and back and not have to recharge! I'll probably pick one up this weekend.

What do you guys think of the new iPod Nano "fatty"? I saw the leaked shots and thought it was, well, a fatty. Engaget posted some pictures of it in someone's hand, and it looks really tiny, and not fat at all. I am also kind of worried about that 2 inch screen for watching videos, but I guess compared to the 2.5 inch on the iPod classic, it isn't that much smaller.

This really represents the end of the "white" era of apple. Now the only white product they have is the Macbook. Kind of bittersweet, getting rid of something that I (and probably many others) liked, but also more new, great designs to come!

I don't like iPods much for a couple of reasons:

-Battery is not user replaceable

-Needs iTunes (I hate that software)

-Proprietary USB conector

-Overpriced

Here's my take on their offering:

-Nano: ugly format, copy of the Creative Zen V+

-Classic: old model repackaged with a bigger drive (160 GB is a LOT of space)

-Touch: copy of Cowon iAudio D2 (with a browser and Wi-Fi, but no memory card slot for expansion).

have to disagree on your first point - I replaced the battery with a $10 kit I bought on ebay

I don't really understand the concept of all of this anti iPod stuff. Is it because people want to be "different", or to support other companies' mp3 players so a monopoly isn't made by apple, or is it to give fair, unbiased opinions on other, non-iPod mp3 players. To me, it seems like a truly unbiased site wouldn't blatantly uninclude a certain mp3 player/PMP.

About the iPod classic being a complete re-hash of the 5th gen. iPod with a bigger HDD, I completely agree with you. And that's why I want it.:biggthump

Steve Jobs posted an open letter today to all people who bought iPhones between the launch and yesterday. We'll be getting a $100 store credit. Details to follow next week. That works for me. I was a bit pissed yesterday, but I'd have gotten over it. I expect to see a price drop after a time, but two months seems too little time. I expected it either right before the holidays or in January.

Now I can go buy one of those slick new wireless keyboards with my $100. Actually I'll be getting $200 since my first iPhone was stolen after 3 days and I had to buy a new one at full price.

The new Nano looks a little weird, but I'm sure we'll get used to it. Its thin, that's for sure. Those screens are too small for me to watch video, but kids don't seem to mind. Video on my iPhone isn't half bad. I've watched it a few times when I knew I wouldn't need my battery or could recharge it. My only real beef with the iPhone (aside from the crappy EDGE network) is that I can't carry a spare battery around.

"Needs iTunes (I hate that software)"

don't necessarly agree with this.

depends what you're trying to do. you can listen to songs actually located on your ipod with other apps (such as real player). I recall reading SW other than itunes that could also be used to manage itunes.

for itunes alternatvies, view these results:

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?stquery=ipod&sort=group_ranking&sortdir=asc&offset=10&form_cat=99

out of curiousity, what specifically do you not like about itunes app?

I don't really understand the concept of all of this anti iPod stuff. Is it because people want to be "different", or to support other companies' mp3 players so a monopoly isn't made by apple, or is it to give fair, unbiased opinions on other, non-iPod mp3 players. To me, it seems like a truly unbiased site wouldn't blatantly uninclude a certain mp3 player/PMP.

Did you even go to the site? It's about every other player there is except iPods. It's not an iPod bashing site or some "fanboyism" about some brand, it's just a site where people can go get some info about other, better alternatives. In essence, what they say is that there are some other players than iPods and some have more features, better sound quality and so on. Some people think the iPod is the only mp3 player that exists or think that it's the best because it's the one that sells the most, which is not the case.

It's like everyone saying Burton are the best and only worthwhile boards because they sell the most, while Donek, Prior, Coiler and all are clearly better. In essence, Burton succeeds because of it's marketing, not because of their quality. Apple succeeds because of marketing (and user friendlyness) while there are better options for users with different needs or more technically inclined users.

So, to recapitulate: Apple = Burton

Did you even go to the site?

The funny thing is that I did visit the sight right after I posted that, and I actually liked it. It is a lot less biased then I thought it would be. Its just that the title is a little misleading. It is like if there was an animal rights group called "kill all dogs", but the purpose of the group was really to keep the dog population down by spaying and neutering pet dogs. Just a little misleading.