Note to New Members ×

Input on Simms Burner 188

SEJ

I just told Thor I'd take his burner, and I don't know anything about them! Any input would be appreciated. I currently ride a Nidecker 177 and a 184 Prior with a custom shape. (18.4 waist, 15.4 sidecut) I am at the edge of my ability with the Prior, but liking it more every day.

you step up to metal

the biggest tip on burners I can give you is ride them up front, work that nose like a springboard and mount the bindings up front, this is what worked for me and what seems to work for other riders that put in allot of time on the burners.

be careful if you get air, don't lean back if you're coming into a flat landing!

Thank's for the input. How far forward from the "Index position" or the center of the binding inserts would you mount the bindings? Is the reason for the split tail to make it finish fast if you need it? I've heard that the tail is fragile. It just seems so cool, even if I don't ride it much I thought I'd pick it up. Actually I'm trying to not buy any more boards till the whole metal thing calms down and they get the technology down on them. I think that metal will be the way to go, and make everything else old school, but I think they still have a little work to do to make them durable.

Thank's for the input. How far forward from the "Index position" or the center of the binding inserts would you mount the bindings? Is the reason for the split tail to make it finish fast if you need it? I've heard that the tail is fragile. It just seems so cool, even if I don't ride it much I thought I'd pick it up. Actually I'm trying to not buy any more boards till the whole metal thing calms down and they get the technology down on them. I think that metal will be the way to go, and make everything else old school, but I think they still have a little work to do to make them durable.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=2020&highlight=sims+burner+split+tail

Scroll down to Bordy's post - I think he articulated this topic quite well. They are a unique ride and a TON of fun! Wasn't that 188 originally Jason's (Mellow Yellow - AKA: "dancing poop")?

yeah, I'm guessing that if you tend to ride the nose you'll probably like that board allot. I liked them every bit as much as any non-metal prior I've been on

those 188s can be cranked into a tiny turn for a board that big with such a big SCR

I broke a couple, one I tore out the inserts, at the time Sims told me to cut the **** and stop riding trench diggers but still gave a a replacement after a bunch of crap and I broke a tail in a crash on a different one. overall though they are alright as far as durability goes

I have had some of my best days on my 88. I'm a average rider but it is a hooot to ride. I'm still figuring out the 97. (had good days and bad on that one)

No question there is better technology out there today but I still think Burners are some of the coolest boards ever made.

Got my first borad in 83 (Slicker baby!) so i've seen quite a few. Even if you never ride it I still think it's a great board to have in a collection.

Take it for what it's worth. my $0.02.

k

Got it new from Chuck at Freewheelin skateboards in Calgary. Pretty sure I got the 140 cm and my bud got the 150 cm. Big old blue surf leash, wood base, steel "rails". I could turn it not to bad at all. Only 300 made? Doh!!!

I had one just like the one on the thread.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane B.

k

Yep, Steve Cathey, legendary flat land trick skateboarder from the 70s built them. Connected with a local skateboard factory to manufacture them. Tahoe area rider. Very cool rubber on the bindings and the leash, sort of like "Gummy Bears" very high quality board. He also was the inovator of "Lift Skis" , spawned from a period of time when Tahoe ski areas would not let you on the lift with a snowboard on. The skis allowed you to get on and off the lift , then snowboard down! Photos in the link above or here.

post-198-141842234513_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842234515_thumb.jpg

I just told Thor I'd take his burner, and I don't know anything about them! Any input would be appreciated. I currently ride a Nidecker 177 and a 184 Prior with a custom shape. (18.4 waist, 15.4 sidecut) I am at the edge of my ability with the Prior, but liking it more every day.

Have three split tails and for my style ( or lack of) they are awesome. I ride very forward and weigh aheehhhmmm 245 plus.

I have one of the 188s and two 197s. One of my clients after going out carving with me gave me his 188 to ride for the rest of the year and it's kind of hard to go back after that.

I ride the 188 on "crowded" days and they sure are fun. I also ride pow and bumps occasionally on the splits. (Don't try this at home kids).

Off piste is a great tune up for carving and racing and I never felt like I came close to damaging the tail. And when I screw up I can usually hear it in the board - like that demo Oxygen I put away and when I break the occasional bail.

Definitely not reccommended though since they quite making these.

I :1luvu: my Burners.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=2020&highlight=sims+burner+split+tail

Scroll down to Bordy's post - I think he articulated this topic quite well. They are a unique ride and a TON of fun! Wasn't that 188 originally Jason's (Mellow Yellow - AKA: "dancing poop")?

Yes, it was my board originally - sold it to make room for a few more boards. Fun board to ride, just did not ride it as often as I would have liked to (I live in NC now)...... not sure how much Thor rode it, board was in overall good condition aside from some cosmetic damage on the top sheet - my guess is thor took good care of it - go for it!

Plus she's fairly rare..... at least in the states...