Note to New Members ×

replace car or play more???

bjvircks

Although your daily driver is not usually an investment, collectible cars have outperformed every other investment option over the last ten years or so, if you believe the hype. With some cars going over 1 mil. regularly ( think several Ferraris and the early Shelby Cobras, certain Porsches and I heard that a couple of 426 hemi Belvederes went in the 350k to 500k range.

So actually cars are a great investment.

I don't believe it for a minute. The people who quote those great investment numbers are usually biased - auction houses like Barrett-Jackson or car collector mags like Sports Car Market. What they always ignore are the extraneous costs of buying, maintaining and selling those cars. Buyer's premiums, seller's commissions, storage, shipping, maintenance and god forbid, restoration.

Most guys I know who are into collector cars do it for fun. It's a relatively low-risk investment - your asset isn't going to go poof one day through accounting fraud. Plus, you get to enjoy your asset by driving it. The goal at the end of the day is to come out even.

To make money at this game, you have to do it in volume. Buy multiple cars so that economies of scale are on your side. Or, you have to be damned lucky - eg. your Aunt Sadie leaves you a time capsule, Superbird.

To jump in on the original topic - consider a early 2000s Toyota 4Runner. Economical V6, great resale, super reliable.