Note to New Members ×

Surfing in New England

Aisling

what andrew doesn't admit to is that when its double overhead in the middle of the winter, the water temperature is also 29degress....yes new england surfers are a bit touched in the head :freak3:

haha yeah, thats a fair half of why friends look at me like i'm crazy.

..and other surfers look at me like i'm crazy for using a 3/2 with taped seams through most of the winter (plus booties and mittens), while most others are out in 4 or 5 something suits.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surfers are by definition insane. Spending untold $$, mountains of time, and thousands of travel miles - all in a vain search for... the perrrrfect wave.

Ya gotta be nuts!

or you just move to Oahu, where on a really really really rare day there are no waves anyplace on the island. Normal progression is Town in the summer and Country in the winter (hence the logo T&C) which depending on where you live might involve a couple of hundreds of miles a year at most :1luvu: and if you really can't find any waves theres hills and skateparks a plenty to skate

Surfers are by definition insane. Spending untold $$, mountains of time, and thousands of travel miles - all in a vain search for... the perrrrfect wave.

Ya gotta be nuts!

Not sure if "untold money" is quite fair.. I've got 4 boards, I suppose I could add a fish shape, but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with no more.

at the prices I've gotten, this works out to ~1200-1500.. including wax, leashes, bags, etc. probably even my wetsuits fall under 1500

personally, my favorite beaches to surf are both inside of 10 miles from home.

now, i'm going to compare to hardbooting :biggthump

I'm guessing most on here own two boards on average.

call it $800? that ought to be pretty kind, considering some pairs of boards could be 1200+

TD2s are $350, lets say $200 for bindings.

we'll call boots another $200, knowing that it could be double that.

From RI, Its a 4 hour drive or so to VT, NH, ME etc..

extra gear? pants, jackets, gloves/mittens, goggles.. not going to add it up.

so, they're roughly on par with each other right now...

difference comes in for a seasonal cost. ignoring gas costs, a day of riding costs >>$50, and a day of surfing might cost $1.. if you manage to wear all the wax off your board

so, who's crazy now?:D

...either way, its me. just the same, i thought i might put it in perspective!

do NE surfers really have a rep as being insane?

Not to change coasts or top any claims, but a surfer friend just moved to WV after spending two years surfing alone at first light in an area known as the "Red Triangle." He called me yesterday to talk about a shark. I assumed he read the shark attack story (21 mi from my coastline)( like the first scene in Jaws) on surfline.com. Instead he asked me if I still had a picture of him pulling an off the top at a spot we regularly surfed on the North Coast. He told me that a marine biologist verified that the shadow underneath him was not kelp, but a 12' Great White...with it's mouth open about 24" wide. The water was a tepid 56*. FWIW

Not to change coasts or top any claims, but a surfer friend just moved to WV after spending two years surfing alone at first light in an area known as the "Red Triangle." He called me yesterday to talk about a shark. I assumed he read the shark attack story (21 mi from my coastline)( like the first scene in Jaws) on surfline.com. Instead he asked me if I still had a picture of him pulling an off the top at a spot we regularly surfed on the North Coast. He told me that a marine biologist verified that the shadow underneath him was not kelp, but a 12' Great White...with it's mouth open about 24" wide. The water was a tepid 56*. FWIW

Mr. Too Farr,

Thread: Surfing in New England :lurk:

Not to change coasts or top any claims, but...

For the record: You did change coasts and you did TOP with a bigger scary shark story with "like the first scene in Jaws", "marine biologist verified", "12' Great White...with it's mouth open about 24" wide". All of which I am sure that is true. The only detail that I wonder about is the 56*...are you sure it wasn't a couple of degrees colder?

I love to tease a good friend,

Hughmon :AR15firin

p.s. WTF is FWIW?

I'm impressed by the nice off the lip. Cool that the surfer was doing his thing without knowing there was danger below.

Crunchy snow coming soon... ;)

Pat would arrive at 4Mile before light and surf maybe 30 minutes alone until I would show up. I warned him about that every session. We seldom surfed with anyone until 45 minutes after dawn.

Let It Snow :biggthump

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim,

Check my new avitar. The surfboard under my arm looks like Keenan's 8'6" Fergie, the mustache is fake and the tequila is for you :AR15firin and my dried skull looks like death warmed over...

Ha Ha Hell :flamethro

Go Padres! :biggthump

--Hugh :lol:

It has the classic Baja look.

Man, I saw that last year! Those South African GW's are insanely bold compared to the West Coast Gw's. Seriously, I have surfed with 7 or so other surfers knowing that the shark outside the lineup was too shy to bite with more than two guys in the lineup. We were on edge for sure, but the waves were killer too. I also jumped off a point that a GW was spotted minutes before by a fisherman. He was freaking, but there were at least 8 surfers around the corner. No wonder the sealions were so quiet. Plenty of sharks stories here.

Like my ex-coworker had a boyfriend who was testing sonar gear on both sides of his scuba tanks near Monterey when a GW chomped him. All the GW got was gear in his mouth. I'll bet that guy still dreams about that one. :freak3: Hugh...What was her name?

there's a nice swell out by the boat channel in shallow water. You get the SW wind swell and the bigger boats throw a wake that breaks.

Kiting waves is a blast.

My 9' Bear surfboard is ready to go for some fall swell.

it likes 1st and 2nd beach when the big swell rolls through.

edit:

XX, here's a great example of surfing with a kite in OBX

hurricane gabby footage

post-123-141842235439_thumb.jpg

post-123-14184223544_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842235442_thumb.jpg

nope, not 2nd.

picture is from down here in westerly, at "fenway" the first beach on the weekapaug end of misquamicut.

plenty more pics, that was the best.. my friend only took pictures after she was too tired to surf more!

heres a few.

n14316186_32649080_2056.jpg

n14316186_32649082_5898.jpg

doubt he made it down that one.

n14316186_32649083_6383.jpg

even on the big days, longboarders are good at stealing all of 'em.. oh well, i do the same sometimes.

n14316186_32649092_9164.jpg

n14316186_32649095_28.jpg

me trying to pump down a wave that was just too weak.

n14316186_32649100_1537.jpg

shot of the lineup & the swell we were all chasing.

.. that oughta satisfy you:biggthump

if all goes well, there will be similar pictures from mid-week & also monday.

need..more..big..waves

drops like those are addictive, as is having a solid wave to make turns on.

JUICY !

that's the kinda NE windless waist/chest I love.

FYI;)

http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/

Rip Curl Core Fireskin 4/3 Steamer Wetsuit - Men's

$102.95

55% off

Reg. $229.95

same wetsuit I scored last time they had them :biggthump

Perrrrfect for getting in the fall NE water into November with some decent booties on.

act fast, operators are standing by

great pics, got me stoked to surf my Bear 9'2" again soon