Aisling

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the ice cream headaches from duck diving in december is always a treat :freak3:

I wore a Drysuit so everything except my head was always warm and toasty but even with a really thick hood slush is painful...December never bothered me it was Jan/Feb when the waves actually developed some power that was unpleasant....man I can't believe I'm actually missing Blacks Beach, that was a deceptively powerful wave

lol, um... i'd have no idea what length is appropriate for me? i dunno!

longer is always better, you gals know that. :rolleyes:

much easier to get up when you ride the longer sticks :p

serously, getting a sponge board for cheap is the way to go if ya really want to learn to surf

mid 7' (7'6'' or so) to 8' makes a good funboard, your weight is an important factor though.

your athleticism ? is also a factor, if you're a strong swimmer/paddler, you can go shorter.

longboards catch the waves easier, but are not as easy to turn, and harder to get out through the waves with.

so, weight/height/athletic ability/goals all are important.. have any input here?

mid 7' (7'6'' or so) to 8' makes a good funboard, your weight is an important factor though.

your athleticism ? is also a factor, if you're a strong swimmer/paddler, you can go shorter.

longboards catch the waves easier, but are not as easy to turn, and harder to get out through the waves with.

so, weight/height/athletic ability/goals all are important.. have any input here?

dude do you think any woman is going to post her weight, no matter how skinny she may be, on an open forum!? LOL

athletic ability, i am a dancer so i have strong core and leg muscles but my upper body does need some strength conditioning which i have been doing some weights to try to increase. i'm tall-ish for a woman , around 5'8"

goals... to have fun! :)

as far as my guy... he is tall and lean... i dont know his weight but he is about 6'2". pretty good shape he does kickbox and stuff. don't know what his goals are but i know he's had 3 lessons.

dude do you think any woman is going to post her weight, no matter how skinny she may be, on an open forum!? LOL

athletic ability, i am a dancer so i have strong core and leg muscles but my upper body does need some strength conditioning which i have been doing some weights to try to increase. i'm tall-ish for a woman , around 5'8"

goals... to have fun! :)

as far as my guy... he is tall and lean... i dont know his weight but he is about 6'2". pretty good shape he does kickbox and stuff. don't know what his goals are but i know he's had 3 lessons.[/QUOTE]

haha, girls :rolleyes:

anyway, something in the 7'6'' to 8'6'' (plus or minus a few inches) range would probably work for either/both of you. size down if you weigh less than average, up if more, size down if you're better than average in paddling ability and general athletic ability.

Upper body strength and stamina matters more than lower, but general condition deffinetly helps.

when beginners get tired, its generally from paddling and trying to pop up.

if you just want to have fun & surf in a relaxed manner, go longer- catches waves easier & is more stable.

shorter boards weigh less, and turn quicker (highly generalized statement)

to give you some ideas:

I'm 5'11'' plus or minus, 160#, and used to be a competative swimmer.

i learned on the 7'6'',about 4 years ago. and it got me by just fine.. standing, making a turn, and riding across the wave.

my next board was a 6'2'' swallowtail, got it either begining of last summer, or the end of the one before. i couldnt ride it in a way i found to be fun until this summer- i'd catch the wave, pop up, ride for a second then sink through the wave, it required skill in actively riding i didnt have till now. i wound up riding the 7'6'' more instead.

next, a 9' performance longboard- got it maybe the middle of last summer, and could ride it immediately, caught lots of waves, had fun, and it made me go out on days that i'd have skipped otherwise, 2 foot waves are fun on a longboard.

riding a lot got me to the point that i could make the constant turns and drop into waves as the 6'2'' required, and its a lot of fun on the right days now.

I recently picked up a 7' semi-gun for the big winter swell days, tried it out once already- nice board, paddles fast, catches waves easier than the 6'2'' but nothing like the 9'... probably similar to the 7'6'' except with much more nose rocker, which makes for a less stable but more active board. The pintail on it sits low in the water, but lets you hold lots of speed & has a lot of pop- i was almost chop-hopping in thigh high waves while pumping allong.

.....maybe theres something useful in those ramblings, i lost sight of my initial goal though i think.

Surf's coming your way! Gabrielle

Aisling, bigger is better for a beginner board. It is the opposite of snowboards. The smaller the surf board, the more speed it requires to be stable. One of the important things you need to learn in surfing is how to get speed from the wave and the larger board will provide the stable platform you need at slow speeds while you are learning (you will have more fun). A nine foot board is certainly not too large and will always be good to have when the swell is small and weak.

Enjoy, Buell

Surf's coming your way! Gabrielle

Aisling, bigger is better for a beginner board. It is the opposite of snowboards. The smaller the surf board, the more speed it requires to be stable. One of the important things you need to learn in surfing is how to get speed from the wave and the larger board will provide the stable platform you need at slow speeds while you are learning (you will have more fun). A nine foot board is certainly not too large and will always be good to have when the swell is small and weak.

Enjoy, Buell

Gabby Gabby HEY ! :eplus2:

Summary: On Monday small S wind waves and growing swell is expected. By Tuesday expect waist to chest Gabrielle swell as well as ENE trace swell and wind slop. On Wednesday S swell will fade with the trace E swell. NNW winds are expected. On Thursday winds turn brisk ENE with slop growing rapidly. Onshore leftovers are expected on Saturday.

Tropics: TS Gabrielle's current track has her briefly travel over Delmarva before accelerating to the ENE passing well south of New England sometime Monday.

Monday: Small S wind slop. Light S winds.

N of the Cape - Flat to knee.

Cape - Trace to knee E swell.

S of the Cape - Knee to thigh S wind slop/swell by late.

Tuesday: Small ENE slop. Trace E swell. Small S swell. Light NE winds turning E.

N of the Cape - Trace E swell ruined by the E winds.

Cape - Trace E swell ruined by the E winds.

S of the Cape - Waist to chest S wind swell.

Wednesday: NNW winds (turning light SE on the Cape and the Islands in the afternoon)

N of the Cape - Clean trace E swell.

Cape - Knee to thigh E swell sets possible. Sideshore winds though.

S of the Cape - Thigh to waist S swell possible early.

Thursday: Developing ENE wind slop. ENE winds.

N of the Cape - See above.

Cape - See above.

S of the Cape - See above.

Friday: ENE wind waves. Light E winds.

Cape - See above.

Saturday: Small ENE wind waves. Light ENE winds.

Cape - See above.

post-123-141842234914_thumb.jpg

Any swell from Gabrielle... ?

take a gander

http://www.morebeach.com/Surf_Forecasts/massachusetts/Cape_Cod_Surf_Forecast.html

pretty lame

http://www.morebeach.com/Cape_Cod_Beach_Cam.html

yesterday looked decent:

urf Spot Coast Guard Beach, Eastham, MA

Entered 09/10/2007 8:01:02 PM by Ando88

Wave Waist to Shoulder

Comments Super clean waist to shoulder high sets at CG Beach today before and after low-tide. Lottsa fun !!

Overall Fun

(5 stars=Perfect)

Surf Spot Wellfleet, MA

Entered 09/09/2007 9:33:21 PM by Ando88

Wave Waist High

Comments Waist high and somewhat clean around lowtide at Whitecrest. I didn't get to check any of the other spots.

Overall Fun

(5 stars=Perfect)