Note to New Members ×

How good is Buttermilk in mid-December?

Fastskiguy

Opening day will be Dec 8th. Conditions usually vary that time of year for Buttermilk. Due to its lower elevation than the other mtns it can be either good or just okay. It really depends on the snow farming year. I've been there opening day so far every year and the front side quad is usually good with the backside quad (upper section) the better of the conditions. Tiehack usually isn't that good yet. The better conditions usually start rolling in late Dec or early Jan. If you are spending a lot of money to come out then you are taking a gamble on getting above fair conditions. If it's not costing much then you'll still have fun BUT the price of tickets alone usually isn't worth it yet. If you have a season pass then it's just fine.

On a side note though Highlands is usually better earlier above mid way due to the extra elevation. But the lower half is fairly sketchy still.

JoelP

Opening day will be Dec 8th. Conditions usually vary that time of year for Buttermilk. Due to its lower elevation than the other mtns it can be either good or just okay. It really depends on the snow farming year. I've been there opening day so far every year and the front side quad is usually good with the backside quad (upper section) the better of the conditions. Tiehack usually isn't that good yet. The better conditions usually start rolling in late Dec or early Jan. If you are spending a lot of money to come out then you are taking a gamble on getting above fair conditions. If it's not costing much then you'll still have fun BUT the price of tickets alone usually isn't worth it yet. If you have a season pass then it's just fine.

On a side note though Highlands is usually better earlier above mid way due to the extra elevation. But the lower half is fairly sketchy still.

JoelP

Well good frontside and upper backside quad would be just fine with us, we really dig it. So thought of another couple of questions

Crowds? I'm betting none but let me know....mid December this is

And that season pass thing....is there a deal with aspen or pretty much everybody pays rack rate?

Seriously dude, I lived there for years: do NOT go to buttermilk early season. There will be no snow, and what little snow there is will suck. Go to snowmass, go to ajax, do NOT go to buttermilk or highlands that early, unless something crazy has happened snow-wise.

And if you do decide to go to buttermilk, take a few runs then head to snowmass and see how much better it is.

Seriously dude, I lived there for years: do NOT go to buttermilk early season. There will be no snow, and what little snow there is will suck. Go to snowmass, go to ajax, do NOT go to buttermilk or highlands that early, unless something crazy has happened snow-wise.

And if you do decide to go to buttermilk, take a few runs then head to snowmass and see how much better it is.

Awe man, I had my heart set on it! But you sound pretty sure it's better to wait....maybe February or something....