Note to New Members ×

NE1 do cross over / through / under on a longboard

Guest needanswer

Guest needanswer

I'm trying to do cross through, cross over, cross under on my vangurad.

Since I'm still new to it, I'm just wondering how others have adapted their snowboard moves on a longboard. It seems that I'm not using knees at all , mostly just ankle movement and leaning with a duck stance.

I'll try a more forward stance the next time out; hopefully, I can get it to be more like a snowboard. I think the fact that there're no bindings and boots may be a limitation on the techniques that could be used on a longboard.

On the other hand, the gumballs sure makes the board feel like it's on rails 24x7. I have yet to figure out how to check slide on them which is trivial on snow.

Guest needanswer

cool , I would like to see that.

Wish there was a site like Bomber for longboard carving.

silverfish has a lot of info but mostly about sliding or down hill.

I don't see any articles on carving technique at all. Bomber article's are still the best I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffrey1knee

Try moving your feet in a little closer together so that you can flex the board a little more.. if your in a wide stance it's tougher to get your knees going and to find a rhythm. Or, you can try just moving your back foot up toward the middle of the board a few inches and leaving your front foot up where it's more stable. This will allow you to get your knees into it and pump the board some with your back leg. Let the lack of bindings be your biggest asset and find your sweet spot.

Guest needanswer
Try moving your feet in a little closer together so that you can flex the board a little more.. if your in a wide stance it's tougher to get your knees going and to find a rhythm. Or, you can try just moving your back foot up toward the middle of the board a few inches and leaving your front foot up where it's more stable. This will allow you to get your knees into it and pump the board some with your back leg. Let the lack of bindings be your biggest asset and find your sweet spot.

that sounds like good advice. I normall have my feet about 3-4 inches in from the trucks and I did notice that whenever my back foot is more in towards the center, it becomes easier to surf/pump the back. I guess I try to get the front foot closer to the center and see if I can get the knees going more. however, this reminds me that the vanguard is not really that long (I mean compare to other long boards).

I'm trying to do cross through, cross over, cross under on my vangurad.

Since I'm still new to it, I'm just wondering how others have adapted their snowboard moves on a longboard. It seems that I'm not using knees at all , mostly just ankle movement and leaning with a duck stance.

I'll try a more forward stance the next time out; hopefully, I can get it to be more like a snowboard. I think the fact that there're no bindings and boots may be a limitation on the techniques that could be used on a longboard.

On the other hand, the gumballs sure makes the board feel like it's on rails 24x7. I have yet to figure out how to check slide on them which is trivial on snow.

As a long time skater, I would suggest a couple of things. First, don't try to adapt snowboard moves to a longboard. I think that is also Jeffrey's point in his last sentence. "Let the lack of bindings be your biggest asset and find your sweet spot." One of the great things about a skateboard is that you CAN move your feet while riding - as terrain, moves and gravity dictate!And don't overthink your riding - cross over/under etc. - just ride and do what feels right and works. Skate with others with more experience and watch a bunch of videos, then go after a style that appeals to you and feels good. Skating, especially free-riding, is all about personal style and expression. If you decide to race at some point then you can start breaking down technique. For now go out and flow and have fun. Gumballs, while a great speed carving wheel, aren't the best wheel to slide on - they tend to hop and bounce. Abec-11 Flashbacks or Retro Skwertz are great sliding wheels...The Flashbacks being better for carving with an occasional slide, Skwertz for all out sliding.