Note to New Members ×

Board repair question

tex1230

I have finally found binders to mount my old lib-tech inner-course!

problem - I last had it mounted with some old 5-hole pattern bindings and t-nutted a 5th insert through the board. I am planning to cut out the t-nut so these new bindings will fit, but that will leave a hole in the board. (pretty small) - what should I use to fill the hole? I'm guessing some kind of epoxy...

Anyone done a similar repair? WHere do I get epoxy? and is there something like a p-tex patch I can buy or should I just use a candle and hope for the best?

Are you speaking of those ptex candles? They have to be the easiest. I know you can get actual patches, but that would take a fair amount of work and I believe they're more expensive. A ptex gun would just be awesome and mess free, but they're pretty pricy. I think for the size of the hole you are putting in there the ptex candle would be perfectly fine.

You can purchase base repair material in sheet form, I did when I inserted my last split. It isn't ptex, though, just basic black extruded plastic. I have had mostly good luck with the repairs made staying put. Lost one on the base grind, it had to be epoxied back in. Might have better luck with marine grade 2 part epoxy like the stuff used for board repairs by the pro's, I had used 2 part 2 ton epoxy before I found out about the other stuff.

I am not sure if you are really fussy, but you can carefully cut the same diameter piece of some old base from another board with an exacto knife and epoxy it into place with saran wrap between the base and your clamping boards so it doesnt stick.

Or you can do what I have done to fill holes is just pour the epoxy into the hole and let it flow until it is flush with the existing base then just scrape it flat and leave it there. Unless you are racing, I am sure you wont feel the 2 spots with no p tex or wax.

Or send it to a shop and have it done by them. I am a major proponent of doing things yourself until it doesnt work anymore then get someone in to help. It is a good way to learn repairs and how things work.

Got mine at a local shop. If you have no luck finding it, pm me w/a mailing address, and I'll cut you a piece and send it to you.

I've got base "plugs" before from my board shop. They were the same size as the t nut head slightly countersunk and epoxied them in just real nice.

I'll look around too.

You can purchase base repair material in sheet form, I did when I inserted my last split. It isn't ptex, though, just basic black extruded plastic. I have had mostly good luck with the repairs made staying put. Lost one on the base grind, it had to be epoxied back in. Might have better luck with marine grade 2 part epoxy like the stuff used for board repairs by the pro's, I had used 2 part 2 ton epoxy before I found out about the other stuff.

It was probably what we know as ptex. Ptex is a brand name of UHMWPE (a kind of plastic). Two ways of getting UHMWPE are sintered and extruded. Extruding UHMW is basically melting it down and pushing it through an orifice and maybe a series of rollers and such.. It ends up in a big sheet. It's cheaper, but the drawback is you get less wax absorbtion. It also might be a little more resistant to baseburn and stuff like that. Sintered UHMWPE is basically a bunch of little balls (I mean, teeny...) of UHMWPE that they press together with some heat and in the process they get stuck together and form a sheet or block or whatever form they want it in. This will suck the wax in alot better and is generally faster and is probably what is on most alpine boards (especially the ones that people around here pick up).

The repair sheets that you buy are probably uhmwpe of some brand, but they are most likely extruded. All in all, two circles of an inch in diameter would be un-noticable, as far as I know, except for the fact that they may run out of wax a little before the original base does.

A great place for just about all things repairable is tognar toolworks, www.tognar.com.

Actual base repair tools/supplies are at

http://www.tognar.com/base_repair_tools_iron_ptex_gouges_damage.html

Also, you might check out www.grafsnowboards.com cause that place is awesome and I've learned alot about ptex and junk.

You should only need wax on the outside inch of your board anyways... If you need more you're not getting into your turns as much as you should. :D

Good luck with the repairs.

Used this to cover the insert countersinks when I drilled a board for Sims SnowStix (precursor to Tinkler's adjustable camber rods).

Just mixed up enough talcum powder to turn the gray paste white, filled holes, scraped em, and fine sanded when cured. Worked great.

If your base is black, you could probably use graphite powder rather than talc.

cheers

p.s. 104 deg F in shade in Piedmont NC right now