Note to New Members ×

Comparative cuff height?

Mr.E

Just wondering if the relative cuff height between Lemans and Sezuka's are the same. I struggle with anything even remotly shorter then my 425's, but they are in need of either a full overhaul or replacment (actually, this is the third year I've said that).

Thanks,

E

They are very close with some differance depending on boot size since one size upper fits several size lowers. But the shape of the cuff is a bit different also. When I plced two of the same size side by side the look almost the same. A power strap or a higher after market bladder could solve your cuff issues in any boot.

Thanks guys- I think there is a pair of Suzukas I can try on in the near future.

I run my SB's with a Booster and a tall thermo. I had to buy Crispi AT boots because even the tallish Scarpas (with Boosters) were still to low. Either way my foot is really low volume, so maybe SB's anyway.

Having screws in my shin this year may really make things interesting. :D

On the upside, I'm totally content with ratchet straps, so I can cruise old shells (as long as they are in better shape then mine). Is a 200 day life span asking for trouble with a 170lb rider?

E, 200 days on a pair, I would expect the hinges and straps to be getting loose.

I retired a pair last year with quite a few days on them. However , the shell were fine (short of lots of scratches) by replacing all the hinge points and putting new toe and heels on them, they will probably last the new owner another hundred days.

I found the Suzuka to be somewhere in between the AF600 and 500. I like the 600 for perfect condition , firm , calky and I am riding strong. I prefer the 500s most of the time. I will likely sell the nearly new Suzukas this winter. My new 500s are actually a year older model than my wore out pair, however , they were NOS and I like the tongue not getting jambed up when putting them on.

Tried a couple others last year. Think I will stay with this again this year.

Unfortunately mine are 29 M

"Loose" isn't the word anymore. I think its pure gumption thats holding them together. I've worn out a set of stock and a set of intec heels (used because they were stiff). The buckle rivets are all separating, and I'll be drilling them ALL out to put in new t-nuts and bolts. I'm going to try a set of the Urethane heels and toe pads I think. Worth rebuilding them just as a back up I guess, especially since the plastic seems ok.

"Loose" isn't the word anymore. I think its pure gumption thats holding them together.

Worth rebuilding them just as a back up I guess, especially since the plastic seems ok.

Sounds like you know the boots are sketchy. Just some friendly advise, I have never come across hard boots that cost more then one small injury, let alone the ratio to a big injury...( 500 dollar boots to 20,000 dollar broke leg. Plastics break down and fail I see so many boots fail due to UV breakdown and age its silly.

I've never been a big gear breaker (1 cap board that I ripped apart between the bindings). The plastic looks good to me, but the rivets are shot. I'm sketched with the rivets, but not the shell. From those that have seen failure (including you, Bordy), what are some pre-fail signs? Again, everything still looks solid, no cracking or weak spots, deformation, etc. I have only personally seen a few broken shells, and under folks who stressed gear to a higher level then me. In 11 seasons, this is only my second set of shells.

There really arn't any pre-fail signs. Although all the things you mention are great checks any obvious damage should be cause for replacement.

I have had 70 year old cats who probably aren't hard on gear come into the shop with raichle ski boots with the whole sole ripped off. Not saaying your boots are in the same class I don't know I haven't seen them...

If you are considering rebuilting a old set off boots for back up that sound great, but if your not hard on gear why would you consider back up gear if your not worried about the possibility of breaking the frount line pair? and if so you accept the fact boots may break would you trust a pair off Semi retired rebuilt boots?

Good luck be safe!