Note to New Members ×

Madd 159 Freeride WC

eastcoasticerider

Just got my Madd Freeride WC for the next season atthe demo sale online.It look sand feelsl like great equipment and has the butterfly stuff on the front(sunflower and Michaeleangelo script),,My question is it sort of feels soft.Softer than my K2 Zeppelin even..Will i really appreciate this board on ice or should I unload it and get something else before I ride it on our stiff hardpack here in Western New York..It is in great shape and doesnt even look like it got demoed.It came from out west.I ride Catek Freerides and Solomon boots(stiff)Malamutes......thoughts..... :confused:

I went small because if you ride on these little mom and pop places we have around here you ave to be able to turn on a dime and quickly.I had longer carve boards but i usually cant even open them up around here .Picture a crowded friday or saturday nite witht he parking lot full of school busses full of adrenilyn,testosterone soaked teen agers just jumping and flying off everything in sight.........Ive been taken out more times than I can count.I actually enjoy short boards with my soft setup.....Im into cruising and staying alive now in my upper 50's...I can take daytrips on weekends to places liek Holimont or Holiday valley . I need to move to northern Oregon or something.5 years to semi-retiremnt.......yay..Portland here I come............

i agree with you there 100%.spend alot of time in the trees (tight ,steep stuff) and prefer a smaller board when my friends and i are flying through that stuff its like a video game .the reaction time is nill and you need the short board for that. same goes for low brain cell park monkeys that pop out when you least expect it

LAST year our local hill. was bought and the new owner did upgrade the snow making..unfortunately now there are rails and jumps and elevated platforms all over the place.The kids cant resist it. No place to rent helmets though.One kids head turned to mush when he did a backflip off the twin jump/rail thing. They are in court as we speak over why his organs were harvested so quickly.....sounds grisly?.....thats reality folks. Ive been taken out from behind many times.mostly at night though as day passes for the weekend have gone skyhigh.it sort of reminds me of when we were kids flying down some of those big hills in Pittsburgh because we didnt know any better.Still have cinders from the steel mills in my forearms. Permanent road rash.......Thats why I liek shorties......Its like the differrence between hotdogging and big gun surfing almost. You can usually maneuver out of a hairy situation before the tube monster gets you.

Don't be fooled by the living-room flex test, it may feel softish but there is a lot of board there. That 159 will amaze you with its ability on ice/hardpack and all-mountain versatility, you won't be dissappointed.
I've ridden the Madd TT158SS and TT158CFB and the Madd Alpine 170 F2 and agree that the softish flex belies the incredible edgehold on ice/hardpack. Somehow Madd is able to give you virtually unparallelled edgehold on firm conditions without forcing the board to be super stiff... actually, Prior's Metal alpine boards are like that too (pretty soft flex, but better edgehold).

The 159 is a good all-around size for a versatile, freeriding in softboots unless you are a Sasquatch .