Note to New Members ×

Cypress, new runs, new lifts!

BlueB

Holy smokes, they are really moving this summer!

Here's a pic of new runs cut through forest on Black Mountain side of the hill (to the East of Panorama / Eagle Chair). It is all Black / Blue runs! A new high speed chair is going to service these.

There's also a new high speed quad to replace the old slow one on the Sunrise.

New lodge is under construction, apparently, as well as snow making system...

More info at: www.cypressmountain.com

I'll have to drive up and check for myself.

post-1678-141842233838_thumb.jpg

wow...just looked at that site...its only 30 min from downtown van?

that sure is a beautiful city...can't imagine the snow's any good most of the time? or?

small hill, but hell...that short a drive/ride from such a happenin city...thats pretty cool!

Yep,

It looks like I'll have to eat humble pie and go back to my old stomping grounds.

When I hiked the Cypress traverse last weekend ( a gut check that climbs up Hollyburn, then down the North side, up Collins to the top of Sky Chair and back down the avalanche chute, then back to the parking lot through the bottom part of Top Gun), it was a hub of construction, the new cat tracks, and lifts were really starting to take shape.

I used to tree run those "new" slopes back in the day and hike back through the cat track that's now being expanded to be the funnel back to the new lift.

Look forward to seeing Boris, Dave S., Ruwi and Kev back on the lift lines this winter.... now back to my skateboard and wakeboard for the remainder of the summer.

wow...just looked at that site...its only 30 min from downtown van?

that sure is a beautiful city...can't imagine the snow's any good most of the time? or?

small hill, but hell...that short a drive/ride from such a happenin city...thats pretty cool!

Beutifull city indeed!

Besides Cypress there are 2 other mountains at the same driving distance from the centre - Grouse and Mt Seymore. Cypress is bigger than the other 2 combined. Grouse has a gondola starting from the northern suburbs, and night skiing views to die for - very cool.

Well, size of the hill is relative. Compared to the close by Whistler, it is small. But, if you were to magically transport this to the eastern Canada it would count as A Big Mountain... What you see on that pic will comprise only about 40% of the runs! With 4 quads and 2 double chairs it is not exactely small.

Snow conditions are unpredictable due to low elevaion and proximity of the sea. You could have 2' of fresh overnight than monsoon next day. Still, more than decent snowfall.

Dave* ofthen moans for Whistler when he's at Cypress. As for me, I have better fun at Cypress, but this is material for another tread, almost.

Yap, bummer about the trees. Almost every human activity harms the nature...

It's easy to get the blues in Van. I guess all this rain affects the brain (malatonin, etc.). Especially of the people who previously lived in sunny climate, 12 years in S.Africa in my case...

Over the years I figured out that in the winter one had to be up in the mountains, above the clouds or at least where it's snowing instead of raining, as much as possible, to avoid getting depressed. ;) :D

Summers are just fine if you are not into steeming hot... Mind you, we had 43C record breaking 2 weeks ago...