Note to New Members ×

Crazy Banana

pebu

What in the world kind of bolt pattern is THIS???

9558_1.JPG

Oldschool baby!! Lovin it!!

FYI, actually one of the more common bolt patterns prior to standardizing.

Crazy Banana made more topsheet designs than most companies. Same board dozens of topsheets. Not to mention all the other companies that either OEM'd from them or just plain copied the shape.

Pretty cool huh?:biggthump

I rode several boards back in the day with this mounting system. in fact I remember when the 4x4 pattern first came out. With the ski screw mounting system you had to have the board drilled and the bindings mounted by a shop and every time you wanted to change things it had to be redrilled. Back in those days I would have a board mounted and just ride it. 2 of my boards are in the Bomber mueseum-a Hooger Booger 164 asym and a Mistral 159 asym. the boards have an aluminum plate under the topsheet that the bindings were mounted to with ski screws. You had to have special tools and screws to mount the bindings to the board.I never tried to do this myself. Thank goodness this is no longer the way things are done!

I guess when I was born they were still drilling, but by the time I started snowboarding everything was 4x4 or 3d. Then again I didn't know anything about alpining back then, so I can't say EVERYTHING for sure. I realized that they were drilled, but that just seems like a strange bolt pattern.

I guess when I was born they were still drilling, but by the time I started snowboarding everything was 4x4 or 3d. Then again I didn't know anything about alpining back then, so I can't say EVERYTHING for sure. I realized that they were drilled, but that just seems like a strange bolt pattern.

PEBU. Nice job at cutting us old snowboarders off before we could say "I was BLANK before you were born" :biggthump

Keep in mind there was a number of different "Developing" methods and patterns going on between the "Drilled" time and the "Standard" time period. Many had "Inserts" going back into the early 80s. Just not the pattern you are familiar with. Many of those inserts were more like coils placed in the board after the construction of the board. Basically the 4 major companies had their own binding pattern and the majority of other companies used one of those. Time line was sort of like this : No bindings, straps, drilled, early inserts, modern drilled, modern inserts.

1991/1992 - SUPER-G -

01 Mike Jacoby (USA)

02 Shannon Melhuse (USA)

03 Mark Fawcett (CAN)

04 Andrea Matteoli (ITA)

05 Eric Rey (FRA)

06 Kevin Delaney (USA)

07 Gregory Race (USA)

08 Martin Freinademetz (AUT)

09 Dieter Happ (AUT)

10 Mario-Paolo Dabbeni (ITA)

I had the big purple Rossi VAS 173- Shannon Melhuse back then. Tore out an emery surf plate and had the burton bear traps T NUTTED to prevent another tear out.

inserts ? ya just drilled into the metal plate to mount binders. :eplus2:

first board I had burton air was with the 5 bolt pattern the very next year burton came out with the 3d pattern and I thought this is the best idea since sliced bread. i can change the angles to what I WANT!!! Never saw that binding pattern before.

I was talking with Harry Gunz (Rad-Air Snowboards Owner) the other day and mentioned a Crazy Banana board from back in the day.

He says, "That was my company."

Great conversation ensued about the history of Crazy Banana and then snowboarding in general from an "across the pond" perspective.

Anyway you can give him a yell about the boards or anything else for that matter at his website: www.rad-air.com either guestbook or contact will get you in touch.

He's a down to earth totally cool guy that just happens to produce boards that make all your snowy dreams come true.

jdgang, some of my greatest snowboarding memories were on my '91 Burton Air. Still have it in the shop.