Note to New Members ×

razor ripstik at sports authority looks like T-board

Guest needanswer

once you master that there are two more products out there which are basically the same thing without the center connecting piece:eek: kinda like roller blades mounted sideways with floppy wheels and no connection to your feet. what'll they think of next?

you mean freeline skates?

yeah thats one of them. I forget the other ones name but they are quite similar.

i bought a pair of freelines. its a real workout for the groin. you'r perpetually trying to keep the legs together. when i reach the end of my street (about 200 yards) my muscles are near failure. haven't quite mastered the pumping up small hills.

So I forgot to report back about the wave...

First thing is first... If you have anywhere to be, this is not your ride... Maybe if I got alot better I could get up a little go, but so far it is terribly inefficient. On the trail that I usually ride my rollerblades all out (probably 15-20 mph, faster than the dog can run anyways) for the whole trail, my brother and his girlfriend (slow bladers) left me in the dust. It's a very slight uphill on the way there and I felt it. Goin up I probably had a top speed of 4-5 mph and I only made it about a third of the way to the end of the trail before I decided to turn around. My brother and girlfriend still blew by me. Going down I probably got up to about 6 mph I'd say because I was slowly gaining ground on the runner behind me... Until... I was getting comfortable on the thing and going in a straight line (well, curvy, but only to pump) was getting boring, so I decided to play around a bit. I started doing a wheely and was doing alright until my board decided to go on without me. My elbow got all scraped up, but my ego was hurt more than anything.

It's definately a fun ride. And in all actuality I would have prefered a steeper hill. On the way up it would actually feel like I was getting somewhere (I think that climbing hills might be fairly easy on this gadget). And on the way down I wouldn't have had to pump. And I have a feeling it might be pretty fun in a more parky environment (as it is fun in the basement, but it's a little small and the flat concrete gets boring...)

I'd also like to point out that the next day I had sore muscles that I didn't know existed... I think doing that for a whole summer might give you quite the workout so you could be a strong boarder in the winter.

So my review would say fun, but inefficient.

a lot of the feedback on the xlider site is from people owning both saying the xliders are easier. I assumed the wheels swiveled on both kinds. the swiveled ones would pump faster and easier for sure.

the freeline wheels don't move. there's a left and a right skate and they are marked as such. if you were to put the wheels of both skates in a straight line you see that the decks point outwards like as in a duck stance.

to turn you have to point your feet inwards to go toe-side, outwards to go heel-side.

i find its hard to get started on flats. haven't quite mastered it yet. fortunately my street has a slight grade.

casters are the way to go. if i had only known. it would be like having two mini t-boards on each foot.

i didn't buy them for offseason training, just looked fun.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been riding my waveboard quite a bit, so I thought I'd share some experiences.

I haven't been riding it on the trails, but only in my basement... It's suprisingly fun, even with the lack of room. The neat thing about it is you can drive with either, or both legs. By far the most powerful is using both legs and pumping. But what I've also done is use just my back leg, pushing toe then heel, over and over to drive and keep my front foot fairly level except to turn. The thing I really like about the board is what it's teaching me. If you need to learn how to be more dynamic on a snowboard, this is your summer tool, because if you're not dynamic, you're on the ground. A few times I've basically gone too dynamic and put my weight too far forward. The back end came right around, wheel skidding and all (hard to do on casters), but I paid the price when my board stopped and decided to go the other way. Live and learn. I'm gettin to the point where I can still get the back wheel to skid, but I stay on the board. I think by the time winter comes I'll be fairly warmed up for boardin.

ITs wild how short of a distance they will turn around in. my son rides his in the kitchen (drives his mother nuts) when he can't get outside.

As to learning things about your boarding, I have learned that my balance isn't near what I thought it was. All of my skateboarding experiece this summer will impact my snowboard season positively:biggthump