Note to New Members ×

razor ripstik at sports authority looks like T-board

Guest needanswer

Guest needanswer

I went by sports authority yesterday to get some swim googles and saw they had a t-board-like thing called "Rip Stik" for $99 from the maker of razor scooters. any body ride one?

how much is the t-board these days?

$99 seems like a good price even if it's more dedicated to down hill (even if it's difficult to push on flat like the t-board)

Guest needanswer

Sinecure, yes, that's the one. I don't mean longboard DH speed, I mean an incline terrain (driveway, gargage,etc). now that you mentioned that it articulates you can probably pump on flat, which the t-board can't do.

Gecko,

I like to know, why you don't like it? what you think of the t-board.

I just thought , since it articulates in the middle, it's actually a closer simulacrum of a snowboard than the t-board. just like snowboard, you can pressure the front foot differently from the rear during the start and end of carve.

I found a review of the t-board on about.com and it's actually "endorsed by Canadian and US Olympic Snowboarding Teams" The t-board does seem to have better wheels , perhaps trucks and the wheel base seems wider but is more than $200.

In truth I'm not a fan of any of the Hybrid Skateboards. IMO they are all trying to fix a problem with regular skateboards that doesn't exist. Mind you I'm not referring to mountain boards and the like (which are really just oversized skateboards) but rather the Tboard Flowlab, Loaded Hammerhead, Quadlines that thing with bicycle wheels, etc. Yes I am a purist, I got my first skateboard 35years ago and though I am nowhere near as skilled now as I was 20 years ago I still prefer what is commonly thought of as a normal skateboard, a plank 2 trucks and 4 wheels preferably urethane. At present I have 6 completes, I'm awaiting the pressing of another custom and will be resetting up my HyperCarve when I find the trucks and wheels that I want for it (thinking Paris and Hotspots). As for the T-board I found a well setup DH board more comfortable at speed than I did the Tierney though admittedly I'm a novice over 30 but I'm eager to learn...on 4 wheels

Guest needanswer

Gecko,

okay , gotcha. I can respect that.

However, I dont' think hybrids are trying to fix skateboards. If anything, none of the hybrids are better skateboards as an actual skateboard. I think hybrids are just trying to make something w/ a different feel.

my son has one. It is capable of some truly astounding things it will turn around in about a 20 inch circle and go the other way, it will go straight sideways, it will power itself uphill(if you shake your ASS fast enough) etc. it is great on a gentle incline but totally and completely unsafe on a hill. lots of fun but not really a skateboard:biggthump

Guest needanswer
it will turn around in about a 20 inch circle and go the other way, it will go straight sideways

Sounds like the caster wheels can go in all 360 directions just depending on the direction of the person on top. That's too much freedom for my liking.

I was hoping that it can hold a mellow radius carve and be able to drift a bit, but I don't think the ripstick is capable of that if it can go straight sideways and do 20" circles. Seems like it's fit for doing short tight carves at low speed.

any body know if the t-board has similar caster wheels (i.e. shopping cart wheels that can spin in 360) thanks.

The tierney is a wide wheel on a limited castor. It will only go 5 or 10 degrees off center and it compresses a bushing when it does. the bushing rebound pushes it back to center when you come out of the corner. It kinda feels like the pop in a snowboard. Additionally the newer models have the rear truck pinned so it doesn't flex at all. only the front truck moves so it feels like a snowboard hooking up when you lay it over.

I have a 42 inch used one if you are interested in giving it a try. I would let it go pretty cheap.

the ripstick is just like a shopping cart castor with the exception that it isn't level they are canted at about 30 degrees down in front. they prefer to go forward but can go anywhere. they won't carve unless you can control your feet that well. and they get mad speed wobble quickly.

the tboard is more of a downhill carver. very difficult to push on flatground and you have to have it up to speed to balance it. In my opinion its strictly for downhill it will sort of pump depending on your weight class:ices_ange

that's called board flex not pump :freak3: and I qualify for the UFC Light Heavy Weight class so I know what I speak about :eplus2:

:lol: actually I was refering to the bushings they come in 3 different hardnesses but none that would rebound enuf for my big behind to call it pumping:lol:

the decks are super stiff.

Pebu, if you are looking for a board to skate essentially flatland pushing and pumping, there are a number of folks who make good pumping boards. Roe and Chicago Longboards are two plus there are a number of custom builder who are quite competitive

the wave board knockoffs like this are fun toys- but thats what they are.

honestly, they're more fun than any skateboard in a hallway/ classroom :ices_ange

however, i'd never take one down a serious hill, or carry much of anything while riding one, or go above about 12 mph on 'em.

you can *probably* find one for under 100 if you want to try it out.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went out and got the "wave" board. Played around in the basement. This is gonna sound funny... It's really difficult, yet fairly easy to pick up. After about 10 minutes of actual riding, I was easily able to go from one end of the basement and back, over and over without touching anything but the board. Gonna take it to the trails today after work.. I kinda feel like a kid again - I'm all excited and stuff...

I know it's not snowboarding and I know that certain longboards would probably be closer to snowboarding than this thing is, but I have a feeling that it'll still be fun...

Yeah, I was planning on wearing my boardin helmet without all the warm stuff inside and vents wide open... Just in case... Our trail is a slight grade. I have no intentions of taking it on a real hill.

I just have to see if I can get good enough to let the dog pull me around.

once you master that there are two more products out there which are basically the same thing without the center connecting piece:eek: kinda like roller blades mounted sideways with floppy wheels and no connection to your feet. what'll they think of next?