Note to New Members ×

Wally World

bobble

feel the need to vent. up at breezy point.

a couple weeks ago i decided to take my seadoo in to get tuned up. we were planning on staying up in brainerd so i wanted my jetski ready. i got it into a place nearby. they tuned it up. i took it out on crystal and seemed to run fine.

two days before our departure i notice oil underneath the water intake grate. it was the jet pump oil. they had just replaced it but it looked like to me that it leaked out entirely.

i took it back in. i said, "hey, i just had this in and i'm going north. how quick can you turn this around?" the response was "we'll try by friday." i call friday and i'm told it won't be ready until next tuesday. i'm pissed because we were planning on leaving sunday. i accept fate. :angryfire

so, ms bobble and myself and a friend head up to breezy. tuesday i get the call that the jet pump had a problem and that it was fixed. we drive down tuesday evening, spend the night at home, pick up the seadoo, then drive back up wednesday.

i get out on the lake. i'm noticing that its a little lower in the water. after 5 minutes i'm starting to get a little wild when the engine alarm sounds and the engine dies. i see smoke coming out of the vents. i'm absofrickinglutely freaking out.

its windy and the waves are whitecapping. i can barely keep balanced. i fall off and struggle to get back on. i'm waving my lifejacket and whistling as loud as i can. it took 10 minutes before someone came over. i had drifted quite a ways. they tow me back. we pay them for their troubles.

i get the jetski out of the water. i pull the seat and there's water up and above battery. its completely flooded. i nearly had a stroke. i've now have a sore throat from yelling. my ears are ringing from whistling to try to get boaters to notice me.

i call that place service dept. i'm just barely able keep it cool. he tries to diagnose it over the phone. i find two melted hoses. then i find a hose that came completely loose out of the hull. the hose was the water intake. the hose and the fitting came loose and out of the hull. he tells me that in order to service the jetski that they need to remove the jet pump. i say, "thats funny because thats what you guys did when you fixed the jet pump leak." he said he hadn't talked to the technician. he said bring it in. i think when they repaired the leak that the hose got loose or pushed out when they remounted the jet pump.

anyone have any advice or dealings with that place? i have a feeling my engine is now blown. when water gets into the crank case, its farked. the fact that hoses melted is another reason to suspect a toasted engine.

i am a magnet for bad luck. :smashfrea

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffrey1knee
anyone have any advice or dealings with that place? i have a feeling my engine is now blown. when water gets into the crank case, its farked. the fact that hoses melted is another reason to suspect a toasted engine.

i am a magnet for bad luck. :smashfrea

So, what happened? Fixed, sold, given up, or out having a blast on it right now?

i brought it back to leo's. showed the service manager. he said he'd take care of it. they repaired the damage and lake tested it. i saw the work order, about $110 and maybe $10 in parts. they charge about $115 an hour for PWC's. i'm thinking it probably took them 3 hours to repair. if they lake tested it, thats probably an hour easy. anyways, they ate the entire bill. my biggest concern was engine damage but he assured me that older 2-cycle engines are more robust than the newer 4-cycle. he apologized for the trouble.

i just took it out today for the first time since i got it back. went on marion. ran okay but too many frick'n boats. usually boats run counter clockwise on the lake but not today. it was total mayhem.

• 4 weeks later...
... Two cycles engines are pretty tough though.

IT FEELS WEIRD TO BE BACK ON BOMBER

the service manager said the same thing but thats not saying much. i had problems when i first bought this thing in '96. the base gasket blew. it was under warranty. prior lake marine repaired it but the service manager was a total pr!ck. about 2 years later it happened again so i took it to hitching post in hopkins. i learned that the crank went bad so it was a total rebuild. water somehow got into the crank case. have no idea how. you're suppose to fog the engine with oil after every use in order to disperse any water in the engine. i didn't do that routinely.

there's a seadoosucks.com website. i read the posts. bombardier just doesn't make good marine engines. many dealers dropped them because they were losing money on warranties and dealing with upset customers. there are/were posts of people who took out loans to buy a seadoo only to have the engine blow after a couple hours... then it would take weeks or months to get the boat repaired while they were making payments.

the only saving grace is the ride when they work. the hull is much better then yamaha, polaris, tigershark.

lesson to learn... don't buy a used seadoo.

IT FEELS WEIRD TO BE BACK ON BOMBER

welcome back.