Note to New Members ×

Boot comparison?

big canuck

I currently have Head Stratus Pros (intec) with a couple different thermo liners {Deelux and one I can't remember w/ thermo foot beds) and have been happy with them for the most part but I'm curious about Deelux Track 325 boots.

I have relativley wide feet, size 29, with bigger calves. I tried UPZ's and was relativley disappointed with the quality compared to the Head buckles and overall quality. I'm a heavier, average ability alpine rider. I generally ride 15 ish day's per year.

I'm hoping for some input from BOL members who have tried the 325's. durabilty, buckle quality, width etc. Thanks in advance for the input.

BC

I got some mp 28s for the track 325s. I had suzukas in 29s, but my foot shrank a little bit when I had my surefoot insoles made.

Anyway, by comparison, I really liked the track 325s. I got about 10 days on them and 11-12 days on the suzukas by comparison this season. The buckles were really nice, but not too friendly to small calves. I ended up filling in all the extra space and play with those sticky foam pads. After that, everything worked out great for me, so they should be fine with larger calves.

The other thing that i really loved about the 325s compared to the suzukas is the heel cup. It's much tighter fitting than the suzukas and really kept my heel planted and down in place. The toe box is a little bit smaller than the suzukas, but that wasn't really much of a problem. I use thin smartwool (sp?) socks (my feet are about an E in width). As for durability, no problems so far with my 10 days. I can't comment on the lean adjuster mechanism since I put BTS with yellow springs on mine (I weigh 150#).

As for pushing the limits of the boot, I'm not at that level yet. I'd say where hardboots are concerned, I'm an above average beginner on the verge of an intermediate break through. I do however ride aggressively, if not slightly reckless, which my broken 4wd and leg can support (two separate trips and accidents) - I averaged about 18-20 days the last 2 seasons.

As an all-mtn boot, they seemed great. I rode them everywhere, powder, cord, moguls, and even on a freeride board. Overall, I liked them better than the Suzukas in every way (i have no other hard boot to compare them to). As far as stiffness was concerned, they seemed about the same, I couldn't tell the difference. I know one area that some people didn't/don't like is the cant mechanism, which I haven't had a problem with yet.

you're a big boy as am I and SB/lemans/track series boots are dangerous for us due to the way the cuff alignment works, or better said, explodes mid turn when you're hauling ass through some chop. you would be better off with the suzuka or indy, both benefit from the bomber BTS if you have a extra $60.

the suzuka and indy have a different system that does not explode and they a little more supportive in the right areas.

the indys are higher than the head/blax stuff to which I like as well.

IMHO just about everything out there is higher quality than the UPZ boots. the UPZ liner is useless and the buckles break as fast as you can put them on not to mention a few other things I hate about those boots.

IMHO just about everything out there is higher quality than the UPZ boots. the UPZ liner is useless and the buckles break as fast as you can put them on not to mention a few other things I hate about those boots.

Hmm, Ive been using UPZ boots for 3 season, as well as race trainin' with team copper in 'em. So far, no problem. -knock on wood!- Yeah, I swapped out the UPZ liner for the Thermo, thanks to Michelle of Bomber.

Buckles, it hasn't busted out on me, yet. I use 'em for skiing quite often, too.

What kind of signs should I looking for when the buckles are about to break ?

they bend a little and also jam up making them hard to buckle and unbuckle

put some high quality ski boot buckles on em' and you're good.

with some tuning and replacement parts the UPZ can be great but out of the box it's got some real issues IMHO

Hey Bob, If I have A 29 Stratos figger a 29 mondo in the Indy? I'll probably need to punch the toe box area?

I ride in walk mode too on the Heads so I assume the BTS is the way to go with softer than harder springs? Any calf issues with bigger volume? My Deeluxe liners gave me pretty good fit in the Heads after I cooked them.

What's your take on the Strap buckles? Thanks for the input.

KC

for the first season of riding the AFs but in the long run I've had the same pair for seven years and only broken one strap where I've broken tons of buckles on just about everything else.

the buckles from head ski boots are great though not sure if they are the same as they put on stratos but there were the most durable buckles that I put on my burtons

the straps are annoying until you learn deal with them then they are fine, as for calf size I have no issues with the boot even with the "spoilers" in

I like the blue springs in the AF700 with standard tongues. hell of a boot this way, I use allot less tension now with a metal board under me, I'm almost thinking I could use the suzuka with a BTS in it(a little softer all around) since I have no plans to ride anything but titanal from here on out unless something better comes along.