Note to New Members ×

FYI ... these guys/gals want to get snowboarding into the Paralympics

Cindy Kleh

Hello Shredders,

This concert is a benefit to help send physically disabled snowboarders to Windells Camp in Oregon this summer. Please come and rock out! If you can not come to the show and would like to donate then please go to our website. www.adaptiveactionsports.org

Sincerely,

Lucas Grossi

Winter Program Director

Adaptive Action Sports

(406) 425-2278

Here's a little more info, and I swear, they race GS, SL and BX, too, not just a bunch of rail monkeys:

This 2006-07 winter Tim Windell, the owner of Windells Snowboard Camp, an avid supporter of AAS offered an almost half price rate per AAS athlete to attend a riding session from February 19-25th.

Windells is a world class snowboard camp that is located in Mt. Hood, Oregon. The World's top athletes that compete at Olympic and X Games levels train at Windells. Windells is also the official camp of the U.S Snowboard team! Check it out at www.windells.com

Through the hardwork of our AAS staff and donations from our supporters we were able to send 8 adaptive snowboarders and 2 staff members to the camp including double leg amputee co-founder Amy Purdy and our single leg amputee Winter Program Director Lucas Grossi to help coordinate the camp.

A few of the riders who attended were Keith Deutch, who lost his leg to an RPG in Iraq. Thomas Wolf, an incredible rider who happens to be partially blind, Nicole Roundy who lost her leg to cancer, and Kevin McHugh, paralyzed from the waist down, who has developed the first ever "sit- snowboard". Plus the rest of the amazing adaptive athletes who got the chance to ride together and learn jibs and tricks from world class coaches.These riders can attribute much of their weeks accomplishments to the outstanding coaching provided by Jason "Chief" Rocca and volunteer coach Shane Stalling.

Every athlete, whether they were an above knee amputee, below the knee amputee, double leg amputee or blind walked away with a handful of new tricks. Almost every rider can now stomp a backside 180 boardslide. These riders are doing more then they thought they even wanted to do! Chris Slavin, who has atrophied muscles in her legs due to a genetic disease she was born with, originally told AAS she wanted to learn how to go off a small jump and land it. Well that was something she learned the first day of camp, and by the end of camp she was stomping boardslides and hitting kickers and tabletops!

One thing I personally took away from this camp was the idea that, a person can do absolutly anything they put their minds into, maybe it's a bit different then everyone else, but it can be done. I realized that I had put myself into a box of "little progression" with snowboading because I thought "Well I used to be able to do that, but now I have prosthetic legs so I should just be grateful that I can ride at all". After landing a 180 off of a tabletop and stomping backslide 180 boardslides, I realized I that I have been mentally enabling myself, and after this camp I know I can do anything, legs or no legs! - Amy Purdy

On behalf of AAS and all of the athletes that attended this camp we would like to say a huge THANK YOU to Tim Windell and all of the staff and coaches that worked with us during the camp!

The benefit show is taking place at the Badlander, a bar in Missoula, MT on July, 25. It is a local sort of fundraiser. We would love to have support even if your friends can not make it to the concert. They can make a donation that will go directly to the Adaptive Action Sports Freestyle Session at Windells, August 5 - 11. Go to www.adaptiveactionsports.org and click "support us".

Thanks for helping my campers shred!

Lucas Grossi

Winter Program Director

Adaptive Action Sports

(406) 425-2278