Note to New Members ×

Cleat adaptors for bike shoes...user-moddable?

Dan

So I have a new pair of Nike cycling shoes and my old Speedplay road pedals. The shoes come with an adaptor to screw the cleats to (the adaptor is then screwed to the shoes). The adaptor does accommodate my Speedplay cleats, but I don't have enough play in the adaptor to put the cleats where I'd like them - I wind up about 1 cm short of getting it under the ball of my foot.

Any suggestions from the cyclists out there? I assume if I could cut sheet metal, I could make something that would work, but I lack the tools/ability to do that kind of fix. If I were to start looking for someone with a machine shop to do it for me, it would probably be quicker/easier to buy new shoes...any other ideas?

By the way, snowboarding has made my left foot much bigger than my right foot (I ride regular). I notice this a lot when cycling as my cleat setup for right and left feet is pretty different. Does anyone else have this?

Thanks C5, I'll give them a shot!

I stopped by my bike shop (Veloce in Portland), and the owner suggested that about 1 cm shouldn't make a difference and that it could be the shoe needs an insole, or my position needs help or something. We scheduled a fitting for next week...which won't help me with my one-day STP this weekend, but will be good to get out of the way for the future.

1 CM is huge for anyone who is used to a certain fit or position. That can be the difference between pressure where it is needed and pointing the toes or heel down too much at the bottom of the stroke even with a different insole. If is that far off, I would consider a different shoe even if I was also investing in insoles. I just want more people loving to ride bikes more of the time,so I hope whatever you choose works well.

If I'm not mistaken, Speedplay makes an adaptor for moving the cleat further back or forward on the shoe (if that's the issue). I've read about it numerous times in the Fitness Q&A section of www.cyclingnews.com

Here is a link

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.merchandise&promoid=Aluminum%20Fore-Aft%20Extender%20Base%20Plate%20Kit

carveitup

Whoah, thanks Carveitup!! That's just the kind of thing I was hoping to find. Too bad I won't be able to get it in time for my double century on Saturday... but I'm sure it will be helpful the rest of the summer.

-Dan