Note to New Members ×

Buttermilk

Recon

“Buttermilk!”

As I Look back to 2002 & my first exposer to Aspen/ I remember saying to myself Buttermilk what a goofy name for a ski resort! Little did I know how addictive & fond of that place I would become. Another trip to Aspen SES in 2006 & again in 2007 closed the deal!

“Its now a permanent fixture etched into my mind! Its July/ I find myself fantasying carving up the sweet awesome groom of Buttermilk’s gentle slopes.

The comradity of fellow carvers is outstanding! A special group for sure.

Although I ride a all-mountain board also/My heart belongs to Carving!

If only the masses knew what they were missing?

But then again/ if the masses carved/ would it take away from our felling unique?

Im so confused now/ I had it all figured out/ when I died I wanted to be cremated & my ashes sprinkled in a women’s mud wrestling pit! :eplus2: Now I wonder???????????

On my trip to Aspen this past season my wife and I went to Buttermilk, Aspen Highlands and Snowmass, and we had the best time by far at Buttermilk, thanks to the easy parking close to the lifts and lodge, and the terrain was just what we wanted. It was about 1/3 the hassle of going to Highlands, and 1/100th the hassle of getting in/out of Snowmass. I'll never forget what a pain it was navigating around snowmass's streets and condos, dealing with the gondola, etc. and what a relief it was going back to Buttermilk.

If the masses carved, I'd be a lot more nervous on the hill!

I was up at Buttermilk also this past winter with our local resident JoelP. It was an amazing trip, couldn't have asked for a more perfect week... we carved and carved and carved... sun and very mild / warm weather. I wanted to do all 4 mountains (ASPEN, Highlands, snowmass and Buttermilk) We ended up spending most of our time at Buttermilk and Highlands. Highlands can be a lot of fun also carving.. that huge Thunderbowl and some of the upper trails were amazing, I loved Highlands too. Going from Top to bottom carving every single turn you can make is quite a challenge. I did spend a day at Aspen (AJAX) I wanted to see the montain but definitaly Buttermilk and Highlands were much better. That 2 seater chair at buttermilk is very slow but it gives you a chance to relax :)

Park at Buttermilk and Then take the free shuttles where you want to go.. snowmass, Aspen and Highlands... makes your life very easy.

Definitaly considering going back again for the 2008 season !

I had the pleasure of riding with my friend "Recon" in Buttermilk last season at SES. We had a hoot! He later came for a visit to my neck of the woods where he anounced his plans to move to Colorado this summer. If anyone sees him (likely somewhere on the east coast), point him toward the snowy state of Colorado. Apparently he has lost his way.

By the way, it has snowed every month so far this year

Funny Thor!

Just detained that's all! 20 yrs accumulation worth of STUFF to sort through/ sale/ etc.

Before moving across the country!

Receive two new Custom Coilers in Sept! So I will be there & ready when the snow drops.

Look forward to ridding with all the Colorado Desperado's again. :biggthump

OK Cj

If you can show me away to sale 7 boats/ 6 cars & trucks/ 2 campers & a 40 x60 building jammed to the roof with stuff a little faster/ plus work every day I'm all ears & open to suggestions! And speaking of work/not to be confused with Banking! :freak3: it took 2 months to get a building permit for my last project!!! crazy!!!!

Lets Ride! :ices_ange

I dunno, I lived in Aspen for years, and I think Buttermilk was quite boring. I never went there besides the SES. It's flat, and the only good terrain for carving is serviced by a 20 minute lift. There are so many other better trails on Ajax or Snowmass to hit up.

Highly overrated, IMO.

Well/ with my limited experience/ low hrs on the snow!/ and I'm sure age effects it a-little/ Buttermilk is all I need! Steep pitch is exciting/ maybe I will get there someday & ride with the big boys! I started this sport late in life. But im addicted!

I agree/ the tie-hack lift is ridiculously slow!

But here again/ its July/ I'm thinking of it! Works for me!

It's flat, and the only good terrain for carving is serviced by a 20 minute lift.
I think it depends on what you want. I like the terrain off of the main high-speed lift, but I can see where someone who is a better carver might be bored with it. It does have a lot of flat sections.

That doesn't make it a bad resort, or even a bad carving resort. It's just not for everyone. But for guys like me that don't get in 30+ days a season, and don't mind shallowing out the turns in between the steep(er) sections, it might be just the thing.

• 2 weeks later...

the highlands I like better, some challenge there not really for the carving though.

I group buttermilk into the same group as I put stratton, steamboat and keystone, great place to learn to carve or just learn to ride or ski period but they grow old after awhile. Just not the most challenging places to ride.

Buttermilk is a surfers style mtn not a racers mtn. Surfing is my style so that is why, while I live here (Aspen), I prefer it over the other mtns. Now let me explain. If your into down the fall line fast turning left, right, left right and having it steep then you are right that the Milk can be boring although the last pitch of Racers Edge is always a puzzle for anyone. It has a steep off camber in both directions pitch that always makes it a challenge. Personally I’m more into top turns and bottom turns like surfing. I want to smash the top lip and compress at the bottom and head back up the lip again and then do it over and over and over. Buttermilk offers that style a bit more than the other hills. The Milk has the pitch and terrain changes to play and challenge yourself if you work it. Thunderbowl over at Highlands is fun but not as enjoyable overall for myself. Yes it is still a challenge in places but it’s a right turn followed by a left turn all the way down the fall line. No major terrain changes to mix things up but admittedly has it's glory moments too. Aspen mtn offers a great challenge and mixes things up on Spar and Copper gulch but beware of skiers (sometimes real aholes) climbing down your back, both yes they are top runs. But for me anyways the Milk offers a non-stop surfing experience top to bottom without the stress of being hit from behind, without having to stop my flow due to traffic. It holds many little puzzles to be solved. I’ve met many carvers over time there and surprise a lot of them by just telling them to ride behind me so I can show them a really fun line. Even guys I know that have ridden there for years follow me and then go “Wow, haven’t hooked up those rollers like that before, awesome”. Yes the lift is slow but we’ve asked that it STAY that way. It’s the one thing that has given us some privacy over there and at times makes it feel like a private ski resort :lol:. I’ve written before about days I’ve done many runs and not had a track to cross or another to see. People don’t like the slow lift and I’m honestly glad they don’t. At the end of the day I bet I still have the same vert in that they did on the high speed quad and I’m running solo while they ride in traffic. I’ll take the solitude any day. So please never ask the Ski Co to change that lift!!!!!!. To each there own, that’s why it’s called Expression Session, but the Milk has some of the best surfing there is and I’ll show anyone anytime how to change it up there, to not make it boring, but to make it a surf experience you’ll not forget. And for those that just want to go fast down the fall line…well I’ll take out the 196 any day too :angryfire

Joel

Joel--------Well Put

Interesting/ My interest is carving long/carving deep/holding on to the carve as long as I can/heading up hill & raping it around the other way/ just as riding a wave (surfing)

Mixing it up with a few GS turns & ricocheting of as much couture as I can find.

I'm in no hurry to find the bottom of the run/ I have yet received a prize for getting there first!

I'm not a racer/ just a extreme carver wanna "B" :eplus2:

In other words Free & unpredictable! Although difficult for those above me/ I want them guessing what I might do next!!!!! Variety is the spice of life! Nothing against laying down one identical dig after another/ But I would rather mix it up.

Joel/ Next SES You lay down some lines I will try to follow. Always ready to learn something.

Like I said: Addicted to Buttermilk.

Joel P, don´t wright stuff like that in the middle of summer. I´m sick for some turns down Ptarmigan or laying it over in the Pipeline.. :D . And def there is NO place in the word like Buttermilk if youre in to surfcarving. I have aprox 12 weeks of carving in Milk since 2003 and I´m not bored a bit. This winter I spent 3 weeks in Aspen and left Milkland for three or for days cause of POW in Snowass and Highlands. The terrain is awesome (if you don´t wanna get down as quickly as possible; ie skiing with your snowboard). I still find new ways to play with the terrain. And please don´t ask for a highspeed in Tiehack. It will just attract skiers. Or as Iggy Pop said when they tore down the Berlin wall: "Keep it up! Keep it up! It will never be the same city."