Note to New Members ×

4th of July

patmoore

My wife suggested that we attend an outdoor concert in Simsbury, CT tonight. We're still here and I'm typing this on my smartphone during intermission. A short time ago the band played tributes to veterans of all branches of the armed forces. When music was played for each branch, respective veterans were asked to stand. Among the thousands of concertgoers a surprisingly small number of us stood.

I have to admit that I got a little choked up. It's been 37 years since my discharge but it was nice to be recognized by a very appreciative audience.

Pat Moore

Sgt USAF 1966-70

There are veterans and then there are Veterans. I'm a vet (US Army Security Agency) 1970-1974, but all of my overseas duty was in Germany programming computers in air conditioned comfort. Most of the time it was a 9 to 5 job with weekends free for skiing (snowboarding not invented yet) in the Alps. The closest I came to harm was when the Baader Meinhoff gang bombed the IG Farben building in Frankfurt. I was running late that day - if I had been on time I would have been going through the front doors when the bomb went off.

I had a pretty easy time of it, so I feel a bit sheepish standing up with the real Veterans who were in harms way.

Dave, it takes a team to make it all work and I appreciate every last one on that team.

Thank You Vets

now, i'm going to go and play for the next four days, this makes me even more appreciative that I have the opprotunity to do this.

Pat,

I totally agree with you. It is great when folks recognize Vets. I was in 1976-79 and served with the Army Rangers my full tour. I remember how we were ordered NOT to wear our uniform when we flew from the air base we were living on because people at the time were so negative toward the military. So any sign of respect, from my perspective is a great thing.

Dave, as one of those guys who spent a lot of time in the swamps, jungles, etc., I agree with Blue Bird, "it takes a team to make it all work." Clearly, the guys who pounded ground, and took part in things where sickness or life was more on the line, placed more on the table, but without support folks, there would be no modern ground pounders. We spent a lot of time jumping out of jets, planes, choppers... I never really thought too much about the guys flying them, but greatly appreciated their service. The same goes for the truck drivers, cooks... So in my book, as long as you put in your time in an "honorable" manner, from my perspective, your service counts as much as anyone's. Point: Continue to respect the greater effort other put in, but enjoy your piece of the pie--you earned it!

Spent two years as an activated Naval Reserve Radioman - most of the time on a 170' Korea-vintage, wood-hulled minesweeper. Crossed the Pacific on that thing, hurling most of the way, and pulled into CamRanh (sp?) Bay only to see a LtJG who'd left us in Long Beach limp down to the dock. He'd taken it in the leg on a swiftboat.

Yesterday attended a Chapel Hill (NC) celebration and stood up, as requested, when the village band played Anchors Aweigh. Felt kind of hypocritical, since I, too, spent most of my time in an air conditioned (rolling) radio shack. But, like you say, I did go.

Whole thing seems like a very distant, surreal dream now.

Hope the current crop are back home with us next year.

Just got back from 3 days supporting our Boy Scout troop at summer camp. After meals, the dining hall staff dismiss diners in a controlled manner usually in the form of "If you did xxxxxx, you may leave the dining hall". On the evening of the 4th, veterans were thanked by being the first group dismissed. Only a handful of us left at that time. Of course, the vast majority of diners were boys under age 18, but there were many adult leaders in the hall as well.

I had a lovely time at scout camp.

Regards,

Dave