Note to New Members ×

Golf Tournament - Bend, Oregon - anyone playing?

C5 Golfer

Wish we lived closer. That looks like a great tournament.

I'd need a putting lesson first. The ball striking is going well and lag putts are okay but I'm pulling the four footers. I missed three consecutive makeable birdie putts this afternoon (Arghhhh!)

Wrist breakdown has been my problem. I've tried the claw grip with mixed results and even a split grip. For some reason I can't feel comfortable with the left hand low.

I hit six of nine greens in regulation from the back tees yesterday and used 14 putts on those six holes. Pathetic! On the other three holes, all my chips left me around four feet and I missed two of those.

I haven't resorted to the long putter yet but it's under consideration :(

I've always had a long sweeping backstroke (ala Crenshaw). Maybe it's time to shorten it.

Putting is definitely affected by confidence and it's sadly lacking these days. My ball striking is as good as ever but that's only half the equation. Somedays I manage to scrape it in the hole but on others I'm just glad I don't do this for a living. See GHIN number 860431

Wrist breakdown has been my problem. I've tried the claw grip with mixed results and even a split grip. For some reason I can't feel comfortable with the left hand low.

I hit six of nine greens in regulation from the back tees yesterday and used 14 putts on those six holes. Pathetic! On the other three holes, all my chips left me around four feet and I missed two of those.

I haven't resorted to the long putter yet but it's under consideration :(

I've always had a long sweeping backstroke (ala Crenshaw). Maybe it's time to shorten it.

Putting is definitely affected by confidence and it's sadly lacking these days. My ball striking is as good as ever but that's only half the equation. Somedays I manage to scrape it in the hole but on others I'm just glad I don't do this for a living. See GHIN number 860431

Looks like we'd be well matched if we played together - I am up to a 9.0 handicap, had it 8 or so but lost my mid game for a while.

I hae been putting pretty well lately. I just practiced in my living room day after day with a pedalum swing and it seem to have helped.

Your story above seems to describe why golf is such a frustrating but sometimes rewarding sport. Plus you can't blame anyone but yourself for poor performance and or good performance. Greatest game in the world.

I did not start playing until I was 50 - thought the game was kinda dumb. then I met this beautiful tall woman who loved to golf. She said " either learn to play or you'll only see me when it is dark out" I learned and we played well together for a while. Then I found out she was a nut case with terrible case of the bipolar personality. I dumped her and kept the golf. :biggthump

I see you have no tournament scores in GHIN- do you not play competitively?

CYA

AL

I see you have no tournament scores in GHIN- do you not play competitively?

CYA

AL

I'm not a member at Okemo - just what they call a "preferred player" and not eligible for tournaments. I played in a lot of tournaments in the nineties (took up golf at 40) and won back to back club championships in 96-97. I got divorced in 1993 and played a lot during the 8 years I had off for "good behavior". Lowest I got was a 5.8. I remarried in 2001 and immediately shot up to an 11. Five years into the marriage, she took up the game. In fact she's on the course now while I'm here at the computer.

I sometimes sub in a nine hole league on Thursdays. We play match play but I don't bother posting nine hole rounds.