Note to New Members ×

Any car enthusiasts here? Looking for somethin...

Justin A.

Anybody here know where I can find a 1984-1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2? Ebay has a bunch of good leads, but...it's ebay :argue: ...I've got a few local leads as well, but I figure most of those will be flops. So, does anyone know where to look for one? Black on black would be nice, but we have an EXCELLENT auto painter in the family, so it's not that big of a deal. Thanks guys!

Your Champagne is gonna have to wait awhile guys :) .

If you're gonna buy a sports car, you've picked the right one.

The most reliable Porsche ever made is the 3.2 Carrera. Second most reliable is the SC, made from 1978 to 1983. I would also look at the SCs since there are lots of good ones around.

Depreciation curve has flattened out so all you really pay for is maintenance. When you want to get rid of it, you pretty much get what you paid. Maintenance is not expensive if you do most of it yourself. I've owned my '89 Carrera since 1999 and it's been in the shop maybe 5 times. I do all the routine maintenance myself and it's a breeze. The car was hand-built by German craftsmen not by robots and unionized lackeys. Parts are designed so you can actually get at them and remove them. Everything is robust and over-engineered.

Best piece of advice I can give you - be patient. You'll see a car, think "that's the one" and worry about losing the deal. But another one will come along. There are lots of those cars around because owners tend to be mature, well financed and care about their cars.

Buy a car based on the owner as much as the car. Make sure the owner knows the car intimately. Don't buy from a kid. Don't buy from the corner used car lot and don't buy over the Internet or otherwise, based on description and photos. There is so much you can't see in photos. Almost everyone who does this gets burned.

So where do you look? Join the Porsche Club of America as a prospective owner. Then search their classifieds. Post an ad - Car Wanted. Join the local PCA chapter and talk to members. Let them know you're looking. A lot of guys have Porsches squirreled away that they never drive or drive only occasionally. They can't be bothered to put it up for sale (too many tire kickers and hassle) but if they meet a nice guy who is looking, they will sell.

Make sure you really, really know the car. There are tons of great books and websites out there. Avoid rust like the plague. Mechanical issues can be fixed. Body problems, especially rust can burn a whole in your pocket.

edit: You're not thinking of driving this thing in the winter are you? Cause, A) you'll kill yourself B) it'll dissolve in a puddle of rust.

duh. I'd rather spend a bit of money on an old car to commute than spend a $hitload on overmileage at the end of my lease....

I don't condone leasing in any way unless absolutely necessary. I just don't really see any porsche as old... It's a classic. A nice car...

And yeah, what skategoat said. I'd hate to see a car like that get all rusty and stuff. I've seen it way too many times..

Do you have a garage by any chance?

there's usually more than a few lised in CT - try the Bargain News...

you could always go to a local porsche dealer and let him know what you're looking for...I've done that looking for a specific car (not porsche) and been pretty successful. but you have to be willing to make it worthwhile for the dealer

Porsche dealers won't even take a '84-'89 in trade let alone sell them. They might try to connect you with a long-time customer who is looking to sell a classic. But, since there's no money in it for them, your chances are close to nil.

Go with the Porsche Clubs. Here's a list of clubs in the Northeast:

http://www.pca.org/regions/regions.asp?Zone=1

Oh and I forgot to say - if you can avoid it, don't repaint. If you have to repaint, don't paint a different colour. Your resale value plummets since a prospective buyer assumes you had an accident or are hiding some body damage. It's better to have an original paint car with a few dents and scratches.

Having grown up in NH and now living in CA, I'd buy one out here and take a week to drive it home (or trailer it). Cars here don't rust - at all. I see people driving old ****-box chevy novas with no rust as their daily drivers. Plus there are boatloads of Porsches out here.

Having grown up in NH and now living in CA, I'd buy one out here and take a week to drive it home (or trailer it). Cars here don't rust - at all. I see people driving old ****-box chevy novas with no rust as their daily drivers. Plus there are boatloads of Porsches out here.

Northeast cars don't rust if they are kept in a garage for 6 months of the year. Plus, they have no sun damage and low mileage. For the same reasons, Canada is a great place to buy a motorbike.

But I hear ya, CA is full of cars that have rusted away long ago in the Northeast.

strange, i was thinking of the bumping into a buddy who acquired 88 porsche (forgot which model it was but this was few years ago), and he was racing it at the PIR near Seattle. Wow, that car's flying as I stood in the grand stand watching 'em go thru!!! hmm, its definitly a food for thought on this particular model via 3.2. may i ask why it is exactly a good auto? ill be researching on this, myself, as well. doesnt hurt to be eduKated by other hardbooters familiar with this particular model.

strange, i was thinking of the bumping into a buddy who acquired 88 porsche (forgot which model it was but this was few years ago), and he was racing it at the PIR near Seattle. Wow, that car's flying as I stood in the grand stand watching 'em go thru!!! hmm, its definitly a food for thought on this particular model via 3.2. may i ask why it is exactly a good auto? ill be researching on this, myself, as well. doesnt hurt to be eduKated by other hardbooters familiar with this particular model.

It was the last of the pure Porsches with direct lineage to Porsches built for racing. After 1989, the 911 got soft. Body work and interior trim was added for comfort and cosmetics as opposed to performance. My '88 is a lean, mean, fightin' machine. You remove the floormat and there's the steel floorpan right there. No insulation that just adds weight.

After 20 years, the proof is in the pudding. It's not unusual for a 3.2 Carrera to go 300,000kms without a rebuild. My car has 133,000kms and I have the original shocks and original exhaust. The engines are bulletproof.

What are deemed to be consumable items on other vehicles seem to last forever on these cars. My neighbour has a '80 SC with 200,000kms and the thing looks like it rolled out of the showroom. No repaint, no rebuild. Just normal maintenance. Last year, his fanbelt broke and he drove 10kms home without a fan. The temp gauge was high but the car did not overheat. He just replaced the belt (took 2 minutes), changed the oil and the car was none the worse for the wear. Try that in a Chevy.

It all ended in 1998 when Porsche dropped the traditional air/oil cooled engine for a water pumper. A sad day but it was necessary for emissions and in order to drive all the electronics that are on cars these days. The Porsche is a luxury car now, not a sports car.

Neil:

Never figured you as a yuppie investment banker. Anyone can buy themselves a trophy car. You just walk into a dealership and plunk down your money. But bagging a vintage sports car takes knowledge, research, hard work. Far more satisfying.

Plus, speed is all relative. You can go 140km/h in a new 911 and you don't even feel it. Try it in an old Healy or Jag and your adrenaline will be pumping.

HK

By that argument, you should dump all your race boards and get an old Barfoot plywood banana. Anyone can email Prior and get themselves a brand new Titanal race board, just takes money. It takes time, effort and skill to track down an old Barfoot, and even more skill to get it down the hill. Bet bombing the double diamonds with those shaky old soft plastic highbacks and some sorels will get your heart rate up.

There is a place up in Sunapee just past the Mt that has a bunch of old 911 I can stop in this weekend or if you are crusin' around it is on Brook road, left at One Mile West and it is next door. I can't think of the name but they restore and race. If EZE is around I'll bet he Knows them.

Paul

By that argument, you should dump all your race boards and get an old Barfoot plywood banana. Anyone can email Prior and get themselves a brand new Titanal race board, just takes money. It takes time, effort and skill to track down an old Barfoot, and even more skill to get it down the hill. Bet bombing the double diamonds with those shaky old soft plastic highbacks and some sorels will get your heart rate up.

A lot of guys would rather own an old, mint Barfoot than a brand new Prior. And ya, I would be impressed as hell to see a guy rip a black diamond with it.

But bagging a vintage sports car takes knowledge, research, hard work.

so, earning the money to plunk down on a new one doesnt take knowledge, research or hardwork?

it seems like you value one way more than the other? why?

back on topic, when i think of a commuter car i sure dont think porsche. i think they call that throwing good money after bad.

A lot of guys would rather own an old, mint Barfoot than a brand new Prior. And ya, I would be impressed as hell to see a guy rip a black diamond with it.
I did see guys ripping the blacks with them 20 years ago, particularily Dave Achenbach. Do you personally ride vintage equipment on the slopes? Cause if not, I'll have to label you a yuppie investment banker.