Note to New Members ×

Any car enthusiasts here? Looking for somethin...

Justin A.

I did see guys ripping the blacks with them 20 years ago, particularily Dave Achenbach. Do you personally ride vintage equipment on the slopes? Cause if not, I'll have to label you a yuppie investment banker.

If I had vintage snowboarding equipment, I'd probably ride it and wish I was on newer stuff. That doesn't happen in a vintage car. The new technology doesn't add to the experience for me. Hell, I don't even have a working stereo in my car. I don't need air-conditioned, GPS-guided, heated-seat comfort in my sports car. I want to feel the road and the car. I can't be the only one or '73 911 RS's wouldn't be going for half a mil at Barrett-Jackson.

If I had vintage snowboarding equipment, I'd probably ride it and wish I was on newer stuff. That doesn't happen in a vintage car. The new technology doesn't add to the experience for me. Hell, I don't even have a working stereo in my car. I don't need air-conditioned, GPS-guided, heated-seat comfort in my sports car. I want to feel the road and the car. I can't be the only one or '73 911 RS's wouldn't be going for half a mil at Barrett-Jackson.

I am with you a bit on this one...but maybe not to your extreme. I enjoy a good audio in a sports car but leave the gps, heated seat, tilt telescopic , headsup display type items out. I don't think I have ever had the air cond on in my corvette but then I live in Seattle where aircond is usually not needed. I was looking at the new C6 corvette the other day and the top level trims which is the way most of the instock Corvettes are on the lot, way too many luxury items. the guy could'nt undertand why I want a plain jane basic sports car. - I'd have to order it.

You gotta' love the vintage sports! I have a Triumph Spitfire that I am working on fuel injecting... just as an experiment, I'll keep the twins in the garage too. But we have a Honda S2000 and she is a BLAST to drive also. Neither have the comfort package and a sports car should not. Toys...Toys...Toys, why else go to work everyday!

Paul

You gotta' love the vintage sports! I have a Triumph Spitfire that I am working on fuel injecting... just as an experiment, I'll keep the twins in the garage too. But we have a Honda S2000 and she is a BLAST to drive also. Neither have the comfort package and a sports car should not. Toys...Toys...Toys, why else go to work everyday!

Paul

My father had a Triumph Spitfire in the early 70s, but he prefered the MGB he got afterwards.

Then just acknowledge the hypocrisy of your position. It's a personal choice, not some sort of character flaw.

Geez Neil, I know investment bankers aren't usually nice people but really, it was meant in jest. I know you are a Camry driving engineer or something like that. And just to cover my bases, I like Camrys and my brother's an engineer.

And to backtrack to your snowboard example, I thought of a good analogy. The Sims Burner. Think of a classic sports car as a Sims Burner. A Barfoot would be more like a Model T.

Gawd, I wish I had as cool a car as a Camry. We've got two minivans, and I've got no justification or budget for a sports car. The last cool car I had was my 84 1/2 Mustang SVO. I'd frankly love a vintage Porsche or any other car that actually knew what to do with a corner.

I'm slowly working my way towards getting a bike, but it's uphill slugging with my wife. She's quite scared of them or more specifically of me cracking myself up on one.

I'm slowly working my way towards getting a bike, but it's uphill slugging with my wife. She's quite scared of them or more specifically of me cracking myself up on one.

You're not the only one in this situation, but I don't think it will work for me.

I went through the bike thing when I was 20. Got over it after I laid down my bike in the rain and got knocked down by a car twice in two weeks. The final time, it was actually a guy I knew who hit me. I see neighbours with nice bikes and I think I'd like to get one and then I remember how helpless I felt sliding across the road on my back. I side with your wife on this one. You can be as careful and skilled as you possible but you can never account for bad luck.

get a bike and go to school to learn how to ride it, especially if it is something that you haven't done regularly. no different than ski school.What I have learned about street bikes is learn the bike, ride defensively and have the knowledge to ride aggressively

It may be different in the east coast megalopolis, but it works out here.

get a bike and go to school to learn how to ride it, especially if it is something that you haven't done regularly. no different than ski school.What I have learned about street bikes is learn the bike, ride defensively and have the knowledge to ride aggressively

It may be different in the east coast megalopolis, but it works out here.

Ya, that's exactly the problem. I tried to ride a bike every day in Toronto. Too much traffic and most of the drivers are oblivious to anything on two wheels. In the wilds of Colorado or Saskatchewan, it'd be a different and much more enjoyable experience.

Ya, that's exactly the problem. I tried to ride a bike every day in Toronto. Too much traffic and most of the drivers are oblivious to anything on two wheels. In the wilds of Colorado or Saskatchewan, it'd be a different and much more enjoyable experience.

Not that Im rubbing it in your face, but man, I just got here to Angel Fire ski resort out in New Mexico. We're having Hare Scrambles motorcycle race as of tomorrow. woo hoo! wish me luck, mon.

--Regular rider of Vail area single track OHV motorcycle designation.

Traffic's pretty light here. I can get to work travelling about 90% on 2-lane residential streets, nothing with a speed limit over 60 kph. I'd be concerned driving a car in TO traffic, much less a bike.

When I am on the bike in Denver, i find that as long as I am overtaking traffic I am able to reasonably predict what the other drivers are going to do. I find it similar to skiing and snowboarding when I am overtaking others on the slope. There are the occasional people that are going faster than I am, but it is rare. The extra 5-10 MPH really helps to reduce the need of looking behind you as much.

Overall though, I agree with Lee. The dirt is where it is at.