Note to New Members ×

SG VS. Kessler

Vandalrob08

Either way you're talking about the top two boards in the race industry right now.

The choice comes down to price/performance. If you can throw money away buy a Kessler. No one talks badly about them and you can't argue with wins. The trade-off is performance vs longevity. I've heard of more than a few dynamic breaks.

Talked with Sigi the other day and they had less than 1% warranty issues and those were all delams. I've not carried any of the titanal boards yet because of that issue. Seems like Sigi has it dialed.

Everyone's buzzin about his new SG models so I'm bringing in a few.

Well I figure I will be dumping $1300 USD for a brand new Kessler without the Hangl plate. I can get one of Sigi's boards decked out with a Hangl plate already drilled for $1300 and SG boards have been winning some races or been on the podium as well. I guess if we are talking about the two top boards they can only take you so far before it really becomes a question of riding ability also. I am thinking I will go with the new SG board so I can compare and then go off of that comparison for the next year. I will be a senior in high school next year so If I can get a Definite choice made by Senior graduation I should be alright. One SG board, One Kessler, Two Hangl Plates, I shouldnt be able to blame anything on Technology right... I think That should be a Good Thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only yet ridden SG Snowboards. SG Snowboards are really top-notch finish and quality and quite a lot of (former) Kessler riders that attended the SG Invitational in Ischgl last April considered switching to SG because of performance of the boards and durability concerns with their old Kesslers. Money wasn't a factor to decide for either board for them. I assume SG with Elan is able to use the same production knowledge that exists for titanal race skis (the norm since many many years) and thereby durability concerns about SG boards are out of question. I don't think SG boards are any slower than Kessler, more about personal preference.

Furthermore since this season (or about April last year), you can get all SG Race for 3 weight ranges (soft/medium/hard). I believe the upcoming seasons SG Race have been a good step forward compared to the season before (it's right now only the second season they are available - as the Speed is no competition raceboard).

Either way you decide, its a top decision. Too bad you're in the States, I believe testing is out of question.

Either way you decide, its a top decision. Too bad you're in the States, I believe testing is out of question.

The Hardbooter crew had an SG with Hangl plate on it during WTC. Never had a chance to turn it since it was always under someone's feet or on its way out of the tent. I did get to briefly pick it up and flex it though.

That's OK 'cause I was having so much fun on those shiny Priors that day anyway :biggthump

• 1 year later...
So I just got my 07 Kessler with KST and the hangl plate for slalom. I am going to get a GS board either A Kessler or An SG. Does anybody have some advice for me on which way to go?

Hi Guys,

It's been almost 2 seasons since the subject was opened. There's been new boards launched by SG and K, and new experiences gained by the riders.

I'm in a simmilar situation now, riding 07 Kessler 161 and considering 09 SG Race T 163 & 185.

Any new opninions? Advices?

RaceBoder7, what was your choice/feedback?

piciu

I've ridden about 4 or 5 different SGs over the past year, including 2 prototypes... just gonna say that they're beautiful boards. I also have some friends and teammates that are on the 09 Race T with vist plates. one of them said, and i quote, "best board ever made". As long as you have the skill to ride it, it will perform marvelously. At this point I don't think there is all that much difference between kessler and SG, except that the SG will last you 2-3 years of racing, whereas the kessler will only perform at that level for it's rated 40 days... then it will die.

+1 Bola - that was kinda pointless...when I raced 20 years ago, I was lucky to have a board last half a season...and from my friends who still race skis and boards that hasn't changed. I can't imagine that durability has improved that much when you are at the bleeding edge of technology.

Bola:

since you look to be experienced in riding K and SG, how would you compare? based on high racing skills of a rider, how does SG perform vs. K?

i believe i got the skills, i got Kessler 161, i rode Kessler 185, love them both, but i have no experience with any other metal pure race board.

regardless the life expectancy, i'm only asking about the riding performance in racing conditions.

i got a special deal on SC Full Race T from the distributor back home, but must decide soon, without a test ride.

Piciu

The performance of SG is definitley top-notch. Triple-Podium at the last worldcup race in Arosa mens' should speak for the speed of the boards (even though Benjamin Karl, last year worldcup winner on SGSnowboards, is injured for the moment - hopes to get back on track for the world championships).

Build Quality is top notch anyway. So it's probabely mostly up to your personal preferences. If you can't testride, you will have to buy cold.....

I personally would go for SG, because of Sigis engagement for young local racers, and actually developping kids raceboards in really good quality too. Also with SG you know tat you get the full deal, I heard rumors about Kessler giving better boards to Swiss racers, but don't know whether that was ever true, or is still true.

In my opinion Kessler is the way to go especially if your ordering it from him. It will be customized to your riding style, and not need a lot of effort to ride. The SG's only come in 2 flex's (correct me if im wrong), if your heavy then the stiff one works, if your light the soft one works, but what if your a medium weight.

Yeah you can go stiffer but then your doing a lot of work to make a turn, you can go softer but then you fold the board when you try and recover.

just my 2 cents

SGs come in 3 flexes if I am not wrong. Maybe the newer models with flat nose only come in pro team (stiff) and full race (medium)?

I'ld rather think it's difficult to get a 185cm board if your 60kg only, because that's more the weight of women racers. But then maybe you'ld better choose the women version after all anyhow. I don't think there is a minimum GS length restriction in FIS races for snowboarders of 185cm for men, or is there? After all were not skiers who need restrictions for everything starting from boot height, ski height, binding height over to minimum radius/length.....

Send Sigi a mail (either he or Elisabeth should answer your questions) about flexes.

SGs come in 3 flexes if I am not wrong. Maybe the newer models with flat nose only come in pro team (stiff) and full race (medium)?

I'ld rather think it's difficult to get a 185cm board if your 60kg only, because that's more the weight of women racers. But then maybe you'ld better choose the women version after all anyhow. I don't think there is a minimum GS length restriction in FIS races for snowboarders of 185cm for men, or is there? After all were not skiers who need restrictions for everything starting from boot height, ski height, binding height over to minimum radius/length.....

Send Sigi a mail (either he or Elisabeth should answer your questions) about flexes.

There is no minimum restrictions on GS lenght. Seen Noram winners ridding 181 Prior in the past. There is a lot of young boys racing Noram with "women" version. In March '07, François Boivin, SBX WC racer, finished 13th ( out of 51 ) at the Noram finals...with his SBX softboots setup...

I actually would suggest a SG for you. First it is a production board. Many would not want this, but here is my thinking. You are NOT at a level where you need a custom board. If you were you would have the option to ride both and make a decision based on that. This means you have much less wait time to get the board, AND when you need another one you can get another stock one. You don't have to wait a year to get one made and hope it comes out the same.

The new SG's are on par with Kesslers, they tend to last a bit longer (NOT 2-3 seasons though). They are stock, which I think is a good thing for many. And Bola and Pat Gaudet have them ready to go.

I heard rumors about Kessler giving better boards to Swiss racers, but don't know whether that was ever true, or is still true.

Kind of like how atomic would never give their "best" skis to the Austrian ski team, or rossignol, dynastar, or salomon their "best" skis to the French ski team and elan to the Slovenian team.

later,

Dave R.

that's my point, you've cleared better than i :)

i got the skills, the experience (15+ yrs of carving, raced at FIS, EC and some WC long time ago, CASI/CSF level 2 race coach cert+experience) but quit 4 years ago and now looking for the highest perfomance available gear to do gate training every once in a while, for fun, hobby like but hard... i have time and can afford it nowadays.

riding 4 weeks per season vs. 20-30 weeks in the past, did not change my gear since 4 years since felt did not need to, but my expectation have exploded after 2 weeks of PSL traning on 07 of shelf Kessler 161 + VIST (a litlle too short)

i got the choice: of shelf Kessler vs. SG, dont want to wait for custom Kessler (however that's doable as well trough a retail in Austria but takes long), price is not an issue

I'm new to custom, metal and plates. That's a reason why looking for suggestion from you guys.

of shelf Kessler or SG ??? i'm counting votes:)

34yrs/6 feet/211 lbs low fat :)

Kind of like how atomic would never give their "best" skis to the Austrian ski team, or rossignol, dynastar, or salomon their "best" skis to the French ski team and elan to the Slovenian team.

later,

Dave R.

No not that bland. It was a former Austrian Team A member (the training group in OESV for the "best") who told me that he by that time (3 1/2 years ago) went for Tomahawk instead of Kessler because he felt that he didn't get the same boards as the Schoch brothers from Kessler.

Sorry Felix, I think sometimes a computer translation program cannot translate the sarcasm in my words. (I think you used a program because some of the words and phrases don't make any sense in common English) I fully agree that a Swiss board builder will give his countrymen (Swiss) the best boards he has.

later,

Dave R.