Note to New Members ×

Riding hard boots on a freeride board

Ernie00

On a side note, Bordy, when did you serve in NWTC?

I spent two summer seasons up in Fort Wainwright in AK ('95 & '96), on a Parks Canada exchange on Denali, where I worked a lot with the ANG.... good times, and I really appreciated the racoon eye tans from being on glaciers for a summer.

I was in from 90-96, stationed in VT from 92-96 Was up that way in 93.

Great time Good school, lots of talented people who had seen the top of the highest peaks just living humbly in the ranks just amazing!!!

Racoon eyes are the true mark of a mountainner!!! Glaceier Glasses are so ugly but practicle!! Nothing like sunburn on the bottom of your chin!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bordy,

When you were in, were you issued white rockets with the old Silvretta rat-trap cable bindings and bunny boots, or were you the beneficiary of skiing on white rockets with Silvretta 404 AT bindings and Koflach double boots?

Pulling an Ahkio sled up Heartbreak Hill on white rockets was one of my more painful memories of AK.

George

I have had the joy of both set ups I had several pairs or Rockets from 175 to 210. I have skiied in the cables with chippawas and koflachs. But most of the time we rocked the AT binder plastic lace up combo. I still have a set of the 210s (dont tell uncle sam) I love the Sled on the flats and down hill, But with the 10man tent in it its a bear up any grade. Plus as you know the harnesses are top notch :barf: . There is how ever nothing funnier then watching 5 students try to ski for the first time with it! Of course snow shoeing up smugglers notch was never a joy. I always tryed to hitch a ride on the Track then! Havent talked army in years, man I almost miss my overwhites......

Does any one have access to the old Burton 3.5 degree cant plates? They are black plastic circular discs, with an aluminum center, with black ribs radiating out from the center. About 8 inches around (perfect circle).

I may have some kicking around. Email me to remind. I just spent three days at an art fair selling my photography in the 95 + heat, and I feel like an old piece of beef jerkey. Best to post in the equipment section in the classifieds needed. And Welcome to Bomber.