Note to New Members ×

anybody got a room? (it's for a good cause)

bobdea

http://pilgrimforpeace.wordpress.com/about/

This charming woman is dedicated to her cause and is a really sweet girl, put her up for a night if you're on her route. She's really great company and super interesting to talk to as well.

if you can spare a room for a night, go here http://pilgrimforpeace.wordpress.com/host-pilgrim-for-peace/

That seems like a good cause. Her point about women not being able to walk alone, etc. is very true, IMHO. If there is some murderer/rapist/mugger/etc., it doesn't make any difference to him (88% chance its a guy) whether or not you are a big strong man or dainty small woman, because he probably has a gun, or atleast a pretty big knife. No matter what your gender, you are weaker than a bullet or knife. :AR15firin

And, hey, its also against the Iraq war, another plus.

if that helps

I didn't host her but I've been trying to find people to do so and I contributed copy machine services.

She's in new salem, MA today so anyone in western MA should offer a place if willing.....

feminazi.

harsh, jack...but somehow I got that vibe, too. Just all this "women are in so much danger!" stuff....

but then...she does acknowledge that rigid roles affect men negatively as well, but it still comes down to "those evil men."

women need to be afraid to go anywhere? only if they watch the news too much! Hell...if I watch the news I'm afraid to go anywhere, do anything, eat anything, talk to anybody.

I'll bet you agoraphobia came about after TV news did.

aww

Nah, we've talked extensively, it's not that at all, think what you want though

she's actually pretty well balanced, the truth is that I think the way men are raised is pretty ****ed and in some cases it contributes to violence.

D-sub, you're closer to the point, fear is pretty common place and that's the point. The bottom line is she's anti violence and usually it's men that are violent, think about how many cat fights you've seen and then how many fights you've seen men in.

If she was a "feminazi" I'd not be able to deal with her at all, trust me on that.

Rape, is one of the more common types of violence here(in the US) and it's something that's probably either affected you directly or someone you know, it ****s people up that are victims of it and this crime men certainly do have the market cornered on. I can't even remember hearing of a violent rape where a woman was the perp, I'm sure it happens but not as often.

When it comes down to it there has to be something wrong with how boys are raised OR there has to be some better way of prevention.

Don't say tougher laws either, that does not really solve the problem, it might help but it's more like having a huge fire department but no fire safety requirements what soever. Prevention would be a better route.

here's some numbers for you to chew on from wikipedia:

Even when rapes are reported to the police, the chance of a successful conviction is very small:

If the rape is reported to police, there is a 50.8% chance that an arrest will be made.

If an arrest is made, there is an 80% chance of prosecution.

If there is a prosecution, there is a 58% chance of a felony conviction.

If there is a felony conviction, there is a 69% chance the convict will spend time in jail.

So, even in the 39% of attacks that are reported to police, there is only a 16.3% chance the rapist will end up in prison.

Factoring in unreported rapes, about 6% of rapes — 1 out of 16 — will result in jail time for the rapist

that's from wikipedia and I'd wager that they are fairly accurate, most other numbers I've seen are quite close to that.

One good thing is, since the 70's there's been less rape cases per capita from what I've read, so we're going in a positive direction.

I kinda have to disagree about the women perpetrating the rape thing... I mean, yeah, men definately have the market cornered, but still, I have a feeling that there are alot more women raping men (whatever you'd call it) than what is reported, because, lets be honest, that'd be embarassing. I don't mean to say that men raping women isn't embarassing or anything, but there is alot more expected of men and in general men would probably report it in a much lesser percentage than women would.

I have a feeling that there are alot more women raping men (whatever you'd call it) than what is reported, because, lets be honest, that'd be embarassing.

And nearly physioligically impossible. Unless you practice a lot at getting an erection when you are being beaten, held down and terrified.

But maybe you are considering rape to be something else.???

there is alot more expected of men and in general men would probably report it in a much lesser percentage than women would.

That's actually what she (that woman walking) is talking about. On her website, she is not only feminist, etc., she is also aknowledging all the mascualine roles society forces upon men and that they are bad and promote violence.

It's amazing to me how broad sweeping generalizations and condemning stereotyping are A-OK as long as they're either a) propagated by liberals or b) slathered on white men.

Hmm, most crime is perpetrated by black men. I think I'll go on a march against them. Any wagers on how far I'll get? (that's extreme sarcasm and satire for the morons in the audience, or those of you in Rio Linda or West Palm Beach.)

LOL, Jack, you listen to Rush Limbaugh, you've used both of his catch phrases

You're misinterpreting what she's about and there's nothing I can say or do that will change that because you've made up your mind already.

What does this have to do with being liberal? I've heard some very conservative folk(some ****ing crazy ass bible thumping mormon republicans) say similar things saying that boys raised in the US need more religion because they're too violent and so on.

Even the Rush's buddies over at the eagle forum and focus on the family say the same sort of thing with a slightly different spin: usually directly religious or some sort thinly veiled religious idea but called family values.

So do you, apparently. You and I probably listen to Rush about the same amount, which in my case is rarely (most of the time he's on I'm too busy contributing to society). Don't you especially hate it when he talks about the environment? Or anything else he knows -zero- about? I do.

I quoted him for your benefit. Calling me a Rush listener is another example of when it's fashionable to pidgeon-hole and label people - thanks for playing along. Do not think for a second you've got me pegged because you don't. (psst - I'm not a conservative or even Republican, though the moonbat Democrat party and impotent third parties force me to vote that way.)

This girl is not too bright. "The vast majority of the women in this country order their daily lives around a fear of male violence". Umm, where is the footnote? I would have failed the class where I turned in that paper... in high school.

The juxtaposition she tries to make between her cause and the Iraq war is weak and irrelevant. Furthermore, marching across the country with a "walking for peace" t-shirt on is not serving her cause (which I actually admire in some ways) - anyone who does not read her website will think she is marching against the war. And many people who do read her website will still think that.

All in all, it's a "nice" idea, but incredibly naiive. It seems to me that she basically wants men to stop being men and start being something else. Sh!t I'd love it if women could learn how to operate a toilet seat, but I've come to accept it's just not in their nature.

And nearly physioligically impossible. Unless you practice a lot at getting an erection when you are being beaten, held down and terrified.

But maybe you are considering rape to be something else.???

Rape can also include foreign objects... There's rape of all types. Man/man, man/woman, woman/woman, woman/man...

Rape can also include foreign objects... There's rape of all types. Man/man, man/woman, woman/woman, woman/man...

I guess I am so narrow minded about what the heck rape is. I don't know squat about it actually.

"The vast majority of the women in this country order their daily lives around a fear of male violence"

While some do, this is grossly inaccurate.

Sh!t I'd love it if women could learn how to operate a toilet seat, but I've come to accept it's just not in their nature.

While we are on this subject my wife and I go round and round on this, basically I think women are lazy or think they should not have to do anything with the seat. I think the 50/50 thing works but it pisses her off.

My argument: When I pee I raise the seat, if I were to pee on the area where you raise/lower the seat I would be peeing all over the tank as well, which I have not done. There is only one time a day when there is a chance for me to contribute to coincidental spray into this area.

Her argument: The seat is a nasty, dirty area and she shouldn't even have to touch it even though whatever pee is there is about 4-5 times more likely to be hers than mine. ( based on the number of times average peeing while seated per day and my superior aiming and guiding mechanism)

My rebuttal: Even if I do forget to put the seat down we are both only touching it once per use the 50/50 thing.

Her rebuttal: That if I love her I will do this thing. Oh yeah she also slams the seat down in the middle of the night if I leave it up (I fear for our bowl and she knows what a light sleeper I am)

For now I try to remember to put the seat down. It's hard. :mad:

Sorry for the thread jack - I needed to vent. Done now.

People also don't realize that rape can be silent and non-violent. One of those programs sponsored by a rape prevention committee at school asked everyone to think about one word that they thought of when they thought of rape. Most girls said violence. They said that one of the actual more likely words for a victim to think of is silence.

And before you all go judging about this and saying how stupid that is, they should have spoken up, or faught back, etc. think about it for a second and consider that this comes from someone with personal experience who has been through it.

If you are in the moment with someone, or maybe even not, you feel secure and safe. When a line gets crossed while you are in that place of safety and trust, the only thing you may feel is shock and confusion. This is one of the reasons why men can be raped as well. A lot of it just has to do with breaching trust of boundaries. And before you think that this is trivial and serious, think about the psychological devastation that could put someone through. Yes, they weren't violently pushed against a wall while having their mouth covered and clawing to get away... but they were violated and betrayed by someone close to them. They have to live with the fact that they didn't do more (because they were in a state of shock and couldn't) to prevent that from happening. They learn to question their judgment in people, and fear that those close to them will betray them. You should not have to be afraid of the people you trust most and the people you spend the most intimate moments with.

And before you debate this or trivialize it, please recognize that I have put myself on the line by writing this and made myself vulnerable because I thought it was important to say and express. I have not talked about how men are raised or anything like that- I just wanted to educate you I guess, that rape is much more difficult to identify- and only those instances where violence was there does that "what happened?" question answer itself easily. It took me eight months to come up with the words and just admit to myself "what happened" and another two for me to get help because I realized my fear was leaving a path of destruction behind me consisting of hurt individuals who I pushed away and didn't know why.

I am sad to say that I am concerned about what has been written in this post and the attitudes that have been taken towards it and I am also sad that I am scared to post this for fear of how people may judge it or trivialize it even though I actually experienced this and am still working on minimizing its effects in my life but I felt a need to share this because I thought it might be valuable.

Jack, how did I pigeon hole you? YOU said feminazi and did the rio linda limbaughism. I listen to Rush, I laugh my ass off, same as I watch the colbert report.

You were quoting him to make your point, in another post YOU basically pidgeon-holed me by making comments where it's only fasionable for liberals to do that.

With those statements it makes easy to make a guess at how you see the world, maybe even a accurate guess.

Tonja, hope you didn't think I was trying to trivialize the larger message about rape here. Of course, it is a serious problem, and I really appreciate your first-hand input here. Thanks for posting. I just don't appreciate the "pilgrim"'s approach, which I think is misguided and ill-informed, and the implications in her message.

Jack, how did I pigeon hole you? YOU said feminazi and did the rio linda limbaughism.

By labelling me as a Rush listener, which I'm not even. I tried him out for a bit and then got bored. Yeah, I said feminazi, because that's how she rubs me. I take it this offended you. I just think it's funny that she gets to stereotype men (and women), and she gets a pass.

You were quoting him to make your point

I quoted him to make *a* point, probably not the one you think. It was bait, and I believe you took it.

in another post YOU basically pidgeon-holed me by making comments where it's only fasionable for liberals to do that.

That was not directed at you specifically, but yeah I believe it is.

With those statements it makes easy to make a guess at how you see the world, maybe even a accurate guess.

go right ahead. :lurk: