Note to New Members ×

AK-MA Road Trip

AKBoarder

OK I am doing a cross country road trip next month and would like to get alittle info from locals where I will be going. I will start my mission when I get off the ferry in Bellingham, WA on the 10th of July then I will be traveling to Ogden, UT for a few days then on to CO where I think i would like to stop @.........yes Bomber, I have to check out the shop. Then off across WY, IA, IN, OH, NY, RI then my final rest stop will be in Cape Cod, MA.

My question is:

Is there anything I should see in these states? I will be in UT for about 3-4 days and then in the rest for about 2 days ea.

Sounds like a great trip. So between Bellingham and UT, you have seen it ,right?

Otherwise stop and say hi in Portland, check out Mt Hood / Timberline, fun ride. Then the Gorge, Eastern Oregon (dry, warm) Sun Valley, UT.

Ride safe and have a blast!!

This would be a good use of one of the mapping services, plot your trip, blog? Give folks a chance to visit with you along the way. Nothing like having a local hook you up on a road trip.

Enjoy!! Bryan

Sweet I think I will travel down your way. Its only a 5 or so hr trip from Bellingham. also, its right near I-84 which is what i need to be on to get to UT.:biggthump

Is there any good Campgrounds in that area or in the area of the Gorge? I am tenting it so just thought I would ask.

my opinion is to do everything possible to stay off of the interstates. there is so much to see once you get off of the high speed routes. Interstates are only for getting from point a to point b as quickly as possible.

one of my favorite trips is from Winter Park back to the Black Hills. I can do a six hour drive with only 10 miles on the interstate. I get to go through mountain passes, national grasslands, Deliverance type communities and quiest country roads! most excellent in my opinion. and If I were to use the interstates i might save 30 - 45 minutes on the drive, not worth it.

OK I am doing a cross country road trip next month and would like to get alittle info from locals where I will be going. I will start my mission when I get off the ferry in Bellingham, WA on the 10th of July then I will be traveling to Ogden, UT for a few days then on to CO where I think i would like to stop @.........yes Bomber, I have to check out the shop. Then off across WY, IA, IN, OH, NY, RI then my final rest stop will be in Cape Cod, MA.

My question is:

Is there anything I should see in these states? I will be in UT for about 3-4 days and then in the rest for about 2 days ea.

Welll you have to understand that I am prejudiced for Idaho and I am also a big guy, so I tend to avoid low elevation in the summer - go high, stay high. With that in mind. I have traced a couple of routes that would keep you in the mountains, on the fringe of the largest wilderness in the lower 48 and keep you next to the rivers for swimming and general recreation.

The southern route brings you into the Sawtooth's and some of the great white water rivers around there. The northern route would be along the Lochsa River ( also great rafting) into Montana and then down. The red circle is roughly where Stanley is and it is one of the best spots in the country.

Can give more info, contacts and great camping all along the way. Lots of hot springs but the big man doesn't do so much hot springs in summer.

Lots of swimming - more better to stay cool.

post-805-141842233294_thumb.jpg

if you can make it from OH to NY without hitting PA then you must tell me how to do it :biggthump

it'll be pretty boring from IL to PA/NY. depending on how you go you might stop in Erie, PA and check out the lake... go to Presque Isle (http://www.visiteriepa.com/outdoors.shtml). Nice place.

Otherwise if you dont go that far north probably not much else to do in PA unless you check out Ohiopyle (http://www.fay-west.com/ohiopyle/)

Other than those two things PA is rather boring as well. Definitely hit the Adirondacks in NY. Might be out of the way but it's worth it. You could cut across VT or go south again towards the city and cut across MA.

THANKSfor the promo on PA....Yes, stop at Preque Isle and rolerblad e the beutiful 12 mile paved trail...then head south 15 miles and see scenic and exotic Waterford....where Washington gav ethe letter to the Frenchies to get out of town.Also one of the only statues where washington wears a british uniform.....eat at the Eagle Hotel where washington slept.....checkout the rednecks.hav esome realy terrible boutique brewery beer (Presque Isle Pilsner, or Railbender) then get back on the road.... :biggthump

if you can make it from OH to NY without hitting PA then you must tell me how to do it :biggthump

it'll be pretty boring from IL to PA/NY. depending on how you go you might stop in Erie, PA and check out the lake... go to Presque Isle (http://www.visiteriepa.com/outdoors.shtml). Nice place.

Otherwise if you dont go that far north probably not much else to do in PA unless you check out Ohiopyle (http://www.fay-west.com/ohiopyle/)

Other than those two things PA is rather boring as well. Definitely hit the Adirondacks in NY. Might be out of the way but it's worth it. You could cut across VT or go south again towards the city and cut across MA.

Actually I used to live in Buffalo and Rochester. I know that you have to go through PA unless you travel up through Canada from Mich.

• 4 weeks later...

OK well this sucks....the only day I am able to hit up The Bomber shop is today which is Sun. They are closedddddddd. So far the drive through WA, OR, ID, UT and CO have been awesome. I got to see what Park City, Deer Park, Aspen, Snow Basin, Copper Mnt, and many others were like in the Summer. I am now stopped at Ft. Collins, CO and heading out tomorrow to Nebraska maybe Iowa, we will have to see how bad I want to get through there. Like day one of my trip it was to drive as long and hard as I could till I was too tired. 13hrs in one day was alot for me to do. Made it from Bellingham to Boise in one day. So far to this point I have been enjoying my trip.

TEX1230- Yeah definitely I would be down for beer. I will keep you updated as I get closer to the upper east side.

Willy- Nice I cant wait. Looks like you all had a blast out there. I am going to have to learn to kite board sometime.

SO... how are you coming thru Iowa?? Too bad you didn't time your trip to coincide with 'RAGBRAI' July 22-28 Thousands of folks on bicycles... nonstop party from west edge of Iowa to the east edge... one day/town at a time.

my brother does that every year. he told me he's riding a recumbent wearing a kilt this year. keep an eye out (should be very disturbing)

Well I am in Ohioooo now and should be in MA by tomorrow night. Long drive ahead of me....its nice to see thunder storms and golf ball size hail again. Man CO makes some of the best brew around. FAT TIRE is awesome. Its been my friend for the past few nights. I had to buy a half rack before I left. I dont know if they sell it on the e-coast or not. Oh well.

Tex- unfortunetly I will be driving through NY and then on to MA from there, again long drive. 11 hrs or so I should be there. We should get some kind of summer meet together.........party or whatever.

bjvircks- yeah I stayed in Omaha last night and drove through IA, IL, IN, and I am now in OH. I should hopefully be in MA by tomorrow night, that is if I do not stop at OCC in NY first... haha

AKBoarder,

Hey, didn't see you come by the shop! We had a huge party planned with kegs and girls and the cops showing up and.........

Glad to hear you had some good beer while here. Get you on the next one!

Oh yeah now you tell me, its only a 2 day trip back......haha

I will be down there this winter for snowboarding. I plan on stoppin by your shop then....on a weekday. I drove through Aspen and that place looks pretty sweet. The drive up through Independace Pass was really nice. Just like home.

AKBoarder,

Hey, didn't see you come by the shop! We had a huge party planned with kegs and girls and the cops showing up and.........

Glad to hear you had some good beer while here. Get you on the next one!

Well I finally made it to the Cape. It was a very, humm how can i put this......boring trip. Next time I will be taking someone with me to keep me company. Now I get to explore the cape for the next week. I dont start work till the 27th so I get time.

Oh yeah hey Willy I am ready for that CC Beer you so kindly offered!!:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...