Note to New Members ×

Binding Patterns- Hooger Booger

Guest violetbleiz

Guest violetbleiz

Hi all

New to forums and pretty new to snowboarding too. Have some newbie questions hope you'll bare with me.

Picked up this Hooger Booger(Grinder 140) at a garage sale. Had wombat bindings (which I got a guy to look at and said they're looking a bit worn)

Considering changing the bindings but not sure if this pattern is too old for 'modern day' bindings? Any help appreciated. Thanks! (sorry the bottom pic's a bit dark)

www.raimagination.com/Hooger.jpg

(sorry. image upload wouldnt work)

Guest violetbleiz

Haha, damn, don't tell me that, wanted to take it for a ride this winter (ski season's just started in Australia). Should I put it on display instead?

(Btw, couldnt find it on the site :freak3: )

Welcome on Bomber!

I've got a Grinder 168.

Don't worry about the board being old - it's a nice board. Very good as a learning board or as an all-mountain carver. Give it a go (assuming that you are small and light).

Modern alpine boards design has come full circle, and there's more and more shapes that are wider, have quite a bit of taper, upturned tails and are softer in flex. Grinder has all of these specs. However it is not too stiff torsionally either, but still holds the edge. And it would carve at low speeds!

It has one of the nicest top sheet graphics ever...

Insert pattern is 4x4, so no problems. Reference stance is on narrow side and with quite a bit of set back, so you might find yourself riding at the outermost set of inserts, unless you like the narrow stance.

Let us know how it rode for you!

Guest violetbleiz

Hey, Thanks so much BlueB, that's actually the thread I read just before I signed up! (I was going to reference that but saw the insert pattern was different to mine)

Your reply is super helpful though - at least now I know I can buy cheaper bindings online without worrying it won't fit.

As far as my 'stance' goes, I havent been to the snow in about 3 years only snowboarded twice so I wouldn't know... it felt alright stepping into the old bindings in bare feet :p . I guess i'll just wait until I get up there and get a feel for it. I'm sure i can get used to it.

Thanks again...

btw.. any recommendations for good new bindings? I'm about a size 6-7ladies. Was going to go with a Burton...

Insert pattern is 4x4, so no problems.

B

did you look at the photo the OP posted a link to? That aint no 4X4

OP..sorry, but good luck finding bindings to fit that board! That is a museum piece, and you'd be much better served buying something a bit more current. Plenty of cheap boards with true 4X4 insert patterns, even in australia where it might be harder to find some equipment sometimes.

try ebay.

Ooops, my bad. I didn't look at the link. Don't think that I even noticed the link in the first place... Just got carried away by the fact that my, and Ruwi's, Hoogers have 4x4 insert patterns. Thanks for putting me straight, guys.

Yap, Violet, hang it on the wall.

Boris

Might be tough to get bindings for that. Other than that, Hooger Booger boards are an eye catcher in the slope and great learning board. Graphics are really awesome. I've been approached several times young and older generations asking about my Hooger Booger.

Guest violetbleiz

Damn! There i was getting over-excited. The dude i saw said something about turning it into a bench. Might do that then =D.

So i guess my next question would be what board to get/invest in. I only have the chance to go up once a year (if that), but if there was something that would last me a while, i might consider forking out a bit to get it.

Thanks guys for all the help! :biggthump

Guest violetbleiz
Damn! There i was getting over-excited. The dude i saw said something about turning it into a bench. Might do that then =D.

So i guess my next question would be what board to get/invest in. I only have the chance to go up once a year (if that), but if there was something that would last me a while, i might consider forking out a bit to get it.

Thanks guys for all the help! :biggthump

Cool oldsnowboard that would ride just fine, under most circumstances especially for Ninjas

First.

You understand you are asking an "ALPINE" forum correct? Meaning: you probably found the forum after doing a search on "Hooger" , take note this is a site that is specifically geared snowboarders that ride hard boots. Of course many ride soft also. Just an FYI

Advice. If I only road once a year. I would simply hire at the ski field. This way the equipement could be changed to suite your skill and conditions. No storage, probably very modern , fairly well serviced equipement and no hauling , no , well, no anything. Easy.

Then, take a lesson package, get the equipement included, short lesson, ride better, have fun the rest of the day with friends, get hooked , come back more than once a year?

Good news , bad news. The Hooger , does have inserts and you might find soft bindings that would work. Just keep in mind the older boards tend to be heavier, narrow insert pattern, not as soft flexing, this one is "Directional" , Meaning, meant to really go best in one direction vs modern freestyle boards are easier to ride any which way.

Good luck Rachel, have a great season! Save the Wombats, they are funky but cool. If you ride it, get photos and return here to post them.

Oldsnowboards RULE!!:1luvu: Must have been the graphics that sold you on the snowboard? Or the 5$ price tag? :cool:

post-198-141842233274_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842233275_thumb.jpg

IMHO the board would be OK to learn on. FYI Hooger Booger made excellent boards. The problem as others have pointed out is that the holes in the board do not match up with any modern bindings. This leaves you with 3 options: 1. Use the Wombat bindings; 2. Take the board to a snowboard shop and ask them to "drill & T-bolt" the board so it will take 4x4 bindings; or 3. Buy a more modern board that will take 4x4 bindings (or a Burton with 3D inserts).

Re the Wombat bindings: What type are they i.e. hardboot or softboot bindings ? What condition are they in ? In what way are they "worn" ?

On a more general note what kind of snowboarding do you want to do ? What kind of snowboarder do you want to become ? For example do you want to ride half-pipe ? You have to choose whether you will start out in softboots like the majority of people do or if you will take the road less travelled and start out in hardboots. Your decision here dictates what kind of board, bindings and boots you should buy.

The next thing to take into account is your weight plus things like how athletic/aggressive you are. (Height is not that important). Also if your feet are very big i.e. over US13 that will mean you have to get a wider board.

If you end up buying a softboot type board on E-Bay usually you will find that Burton boards will be more expensive than other brands. (It's a brand-name recognition thing). So you will probably find that you can pick up another reputable brand e.g. Salomon, Rossignol, Atomic, Oxygen, Ride etc etc a bit cheaper.

Mainly for a first board don't go too long or too stiff. Nothing longer than 164cm.... say around 150cm or 155cm... but unless you are a child don't go under 150cm.

Before bidding on any board why not ask the seller what year model it is and what year did they buy it. And then don't buy anything older than say 2000. Also ask them "Does the board have standard 4x4 insert pattern ?" And maybe ask them "What is the recommended rider weight range for this board ?" Oh and ask them "What size are the bindings ?" (If you have big feet and the bindings are Small or vis versa they may not be the right size for you).

Hope this helps.

Hi all

New to forums and pretty new to snowboarding too. Have some newbie questions hope you'll bare with me.

Picked up this Hooger Booger(Grinder 140) at a garage sale. Had wombat bindings (which I got a guy to look at and said they're looking a bit worn)

Considering changing the bindings but not sure if this pattern is too old for 'modern day' bindings? Any help appreciated. Thanks! (sorry the bottom pic's a bit dark)

www.raimagination.com/Hooger.jpg

(sorry. image upload wouldnt work)

Guest violetbleiz

well only about 2 and a bit weeks to go before snowtrip. snow seems awesome at Hotham this year. CANT WAIT! checking snow reports every day!

If i end up taking by hooger i'll take photos for all of you.

Thanks for all the tips =D