Note to New Members ×

refrigerators (yes, really)

Dan

My old refrigerator is on its last legs and getting ready to go the way of old Paint (i.e, taken out to the backyard and shot in the head).

I've been looking for new refrigerators and there's a bewildering variety of styles...and almost no selection of colors. So:

1) Does anyone have a french door refrigerator? Is it enough better than standard side-by-sides to justify the extra dough? How is the freezer drawer?

2) Does anyone have auto body experience or feel otherwise qualified to comment on how hard it would be to get my new fridge painted British Racing Green with a big fat racing stripe down the middle?

Goddamn, it's going to be a long time before winter rolls around again, isn't it...

if by frenchdoor you are refering to the chill box on top and the freeze box on the bottom i have one in my kitchen that came with the house....at first I didn't like it so much but then I sorta got used to it. I like that the chill box is on top since I'm rarely in the freezer and the overall room is much better than a side by side in my opinion....my wife says the freezer's not big enough but we've known for a while that we want a standup freezer in the basement

My families (houses in VT and NV) both had the non-side-by-side refrigerators. My dad requested it for his custom kitchen. My mom moved to a new house and ended up with one that was side-by-side and hates it/swears at it on a regular basis. I also don't like the side-by-side ones but I don't really cook and I think all three of my parties would definitely agree to spend the extra money on the fridge and get the extra space and better lay out.

This must be what it's like here at BOL to have a 'slow news day' like over at CNN.com or the drudgereport.com.

I thought Paris Hilton and her woes were boring.

Dan, we are only into the first weeks of summer, snap out of it, Man! Refrigerators? Really? Are we finally that lost?

FWIW, there's a personality on Foodnetwork TV (US) named Guy who does a great show for us guy types who has a refrigerator done in racing stripes. It's orange and black, so I'm thinking number 20 Tony Stewart but, I don't think it's linked to anything NASCAR, IRL or F1.

I would go over to the body shop paint supply store and buy some paint, tape, and a respirator and experiment. Hell, it's a refrig-er-ator!!!!!

Good luck and lets see what you come up with. Start a poll and let the CC vote on your final paint scheme.

Remember to spay and neuter your carvers,

Bob Barker

Dan -

Get a stainless side by side -- Place a Delorean DMC-12 logo on the door somewhere. Use your custom building capabilities and turn the doors into gullwing doors. That would be way better than just a simple green painted Fridge. That is "so yesterday!" You might even get mentioned in Architectural Digest. :biggthump

1) Does anyone have a french door refrigerator? Is it enough better than standard side-by-sides to justify the extra dough? How is the freezer drawer?

2) Does anyone have auto body experience or feel otherwise qualified to comment on how hard it would be to get my new fridge painted British Racing Green with a big fat racing stripe down the middle?

Due to an unfortunate incident involving a 12 gauge, a chambered shell that would not come out, and an old trigger mechanism that was apparently faulty - I do have some experience with repainting an older refrigerator from my Uncle's porch. What can I say? I was 15 and I did miss the wedding dress and cake that were on the table.

It repainted pretty well. Seems to chip a little easier than the factory paint. But it held up for another 10 years or so after the repaint. Bondo worked well on the holes too. The inner plastic bits just had to be taped over or something - I don't remember exactly. At least I got a lot less crap after they moved and got rid of the fridge.

Don't know it this helps or not. Good luck.

Due to an unfortunate incident involving a 12 gauge, a chambered shell that would not come out, and an old trigger mechanism that was apparently faulty - I do have some experience with repainting an older refrigerator from my Uncle's porch. What can I say? I was 15 and I did miss the wedding dress and cake that were on the table.

LOL!! Kudos to Carvedog for one of the best posts of the year.

C5, I like the DeLorean idea, but I don't think my kitchen is big enough to accommodate full-on gullwing action :)

You can certainly do fridges, I worked with a guy who "tagged them" and did cool murals, and made a pretty nice living at it too. He just used spraycans and they looked pretty good, and seemed to hold up all right. I'd suggest getting some spray lacquer or something two-pot if you really wanted to do a good job of it.

I find the french door fridges just really cramped and crowded. The seals around the door, and the ice maker (if you get an ice maker) take up way too much room. I'd much prefer a big-a$$ fridge with the freezer on the bottom (which makes way more sense as you're in the fridge way more than the freezer). I really like those new "looks like stainless" ones that are painted grey and look just like the real thing, but with no finger marks - I will never own another stainless appliance again, they drive me NVTS.

Fridges are definitely one of those "bigger is better" things. There is no substitute for cubic capacity...