Note to New Members ×

Prior 4WD 169

Boarder_Ted

Hey all. So I just received my latest addition to the quiver in the mail yesterday and thought I'd get some opinions-no shortage of those here. :D First impressions of the board are good. Seems well made, but then I expected no less. This is my first foray into the "boutique" market after having ridden Rossi, UltraPrimes, a Proton 178 and a Morrow Rocket 168 (Let's find anyone else with one of those!) I was looking for a board that was a bit more versatile than what I've been on. I also ride Freestyle/Freeride boards but was tired of bringing two boards to the mountain with me- one for the morning when things are nicely groomed out and one for later in the day, riding the bumps, tree, chop, etc.

So....just how versatile is the Prior 4Wd anyway. It seems quite soft to me, as soft as my Freeride setup, a Palmer Crown. I am certainly no heavyweight, tipping the scales at 150 lbs, but I have been riding 16 years and I do tend to push it a bit. I don't want to end up overpowering this thing.

What can I expect when I get on snow this winter? (man it seems like such a long way off!) Any opinions and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Ted

Hey, nice addition to your quiver!

Yes, it's very versatile. My 174 was the most ridden board last season. Great in chop and softer pack, good in bumps and hard pack, ridable on frozen and fresh, sucks in deaper pow and trees. But that's just my impressions.

Funny that you find it soft, mine is quite stiff. I would say stiffer than Burton Speed 168W and almost as stiff as the Generics 170 I've got. But then, I suspect that it was built with quad glass and for someone heavier then me (175lb). If I was to choose just one board to to keep from my quiver, it would be 4WD, Speed W, or Tanker.

I have a board that was built custom for someone else...its a 4WD, but is more like the AWD at 23cm wide. far as I know that's the only diff between the two, width

anyway...its also a 182, and aside from being a bit unwieldy in trees, this thing RULES in ALL conditions. groom, chop, deep hell I even rode it in bumps and I hate bumps.

I cant say whether you'll overpower the board...thats you...but its a damn fine board.

surprised there arent reviews written up in the review section!

Chris Prior Fan here too.

I ride two of the 4WD -- 174 with a 10.5 side cut and a 179 standard. I am with BlueB - deep powder it does not too to well but I always thought me weighing 215 LBS - 100 kilos had something to do with it.

If I know I am going to ride the groomers stuff all day I ride my 178 Volkl or Hot Blast 178 but if going up with a bunch of skier friends where we go everywhere then it is the 4WD that gets to go.

It's great hearing all these fabulous reports on the 4wd. I don't think I have to worry about the riding in powder thing though. Don't get a lot of it here in Maine. Not to say we don't get any, but they certainly aren't the norm. In fact, Sugarloaf had some epic days this spring-best I've seen in years.

D-Sub, I too was surprised there were no reviews here. Not a one! Maybe I'll be the first!

And yes Blue-B, I do find it fairly soft. That's actually what prompted me to post the question here. I guess I was expecting something stiffer. But then if it were as stiff as my Oxygen Proton, it wouldn't be the "all mountain board" it claims to be.

And yes Blue-B, I do find it fairly soft. That's actually what prompted me to post the question here. I guess I was expecting something stiffer. But then if it were as stiff as my Oxygen Proton, it wouldn't be the "all mountain board" it claims to be.

My preference is the more icier it is the softer the board. And conversely - in Powder I like a stiffer board.

I too was surprised there were no reviews here. Not a one! Maybe I'll be the first!

Even funnier - the Boards section of reviews has the 4WD as the icon :D

I've placed a "new product request" for reviews. So, when Finn & Co obliged, fire up!

Also, the Metal probably deserves a separate review page from regular WCR...

As an update, for those not following the US/Canadian exchange rate, the US dollar prices listed on the Prior website are a bit low. I think I ended up paying $40 more than the listed price. :eek: Just one more thing to consider when deciding which board to purchase. It was easier being ignorant. Gee, I'll take the blue one. It looks purty. :rolleyes:

Morrow Rocket 168 (Let's find anyone else with one of those!) Ted

New in the wrapper! However, you are correct in that they are very uncommon.

Love to hear how it rides.

The Prior is a great Damp , super solid, very well made board by a typically understated Canadian company that deserves high aclaim. Chris has always been close to the snow and keeps the boards in tune with the need. Enjoy!!

I have two 179 4x4s ( that should speak volumes ) , I liked the first one so much I got a second one when I seen it for a good price, did I need it? Hell no I have a huge collection of decks to choose from.

Much like Boris I spent most of my time this past winter on one of two decks the 179 4x4 or the mildly tweaked 171 ATV.

I am a bit of a heavyweight (225lbs) and have not had a problem with folding the nose of the 4x4, I would rate myself a medium aggressive rider, Chris has his 4x4 flex dialed very well for the boards intended purpose IMO.

Works very well in slushy conditions all the way to Icy conditions (I like 88 degree with flat base bevel * side note of interest to Boris was able to compare the black 79 with my 88degree to the psychadelic 79 with 90 degree, those two degrees are a noticeable thing on the ice on identical boards otherwise).

The 10.5ish sidecut is a nice compromise of agility to stablity. Works well in tight traffic also.

For powder I personally find the 4x4 is doable in up to about 10 - 15 cms , anything over that and its a bit of a torpedo for my body weight, but would probably be on the ATV or other if over 15cm anyways.

I will take the 4x4 any where on the mountain , bumps trees no problema, the roundish tail makes for a very forgiving and versatile board, I like to be able to carve one lap and go off piste the next if I want with out board swapping (Boris we just got to get you to cowboy up in the bundoos).

Durability on all my Prior decks has proven to be quite good over the years , I will definitly continue to suport Chris's products.

Dave*

curently going thru snowboarding withdrawl by the way.

Bryan- Ahhh, the Morrow Rocket. Had my eye on one back in, what, '99 maybe when I first saw them in the catalog. I was big into Morrow back then and really wanted one. Saw one on ebay a few years back and picked it up. The guy said he worked at the factory and got it as a "going away present" when they shut down. Mine is surprisingly stiff, much more so than the 4wd this post was originally about. They even claim to be built with titanal. Probably not the same stuff companies are working with now but if you look in the inserts, you can see something shiny just below the topsheet. The ride is.....interesting. Decent edge hold but not stellar. Nice turn initiation but the finish is a little...odd. I don't quite know how to describe it. It will throw you sometimes if you're not on your toes. I've had it hook up hard at the end of a turn and was thankful I wasn't too close to the trail edge. Where the board rides surprisingly well is in soft bumps. I've taken it down Top Gun (for you East Coast S.R. fans) and had a blast. I don't take it out much these days but every now and then. I hope to be on the new 4wd this winter. Everyone seems to feel Chris knows what he's doing and who am I to question it. :D

(Boris we just got to get you to cowboy up in the bundoos).

...curently going thru snowboarding withdrawl by the way.

Hey Dave, no worries, next season I'll spend a bit more time on my 3800 in the trees with you. No point torturing myself on boards that I find long and stiff for that purpose...

As for the withdrawl, same here. I dont sail and fish enough to stop thinking about snow. Did you get to use that 6wt flyrod - just currious to hear the comments?

I fished Sassamat yesterday. Dead.

he Prior is a great Damp , super solid, very well made board by a typically understated Canadian company that deserves high aclaim.

How true! One could argue that Prior had more World Cup podiums than any other North American manufacturer, but often disguised under labels of Burton, Sims, Rossi, etc...

Boris

Bryan- Ahhh, the Morrow Rocket. Had my eye on one back in, what, '99 maybe when I first saw them in the catalog. I was big into Morrow back then and really wanted one. Saw one on ebay a few years back and picked it up. The guy said he worked at the factory and got it as a "going away present" when they shut down. Mine is surprisingly stiff, much more so than the 4wd this post was originally about. They even claim to be built with titanal. Probably not the same stuff companies are working with now but if you look in the inserts, you can see something shiny just below the topsheet. The ride is.....interesting. Decent edge hold but not stellar. Nice turn initiation but the finish is a little...odd. I don't quite know how to describe it. It will throw you sometimes if you're not on your toes. I've had it hook up hard at the end of a turn and was thankful I wasn't too close to the trail edge. Where the board rides surprisingly well is in soft bumps. I've taken it down Top Gun (for you East Coast S.R. fans) and had a blast. I don't take it out much these days but every now and then. I hope to be on the new 4wd this winter. Everyone seems to feel Chris knows what he's doing and who am I to question it. :D

Thanks for the info, oddly , it has some of the features of the boardercross/alpine guys shape. Not sure if it would qualify (tail shape) or not. It is shorter than I typically like , however the overall shape/ flex / design has tempted me to give it a go. I like the narrow waist. Wondered about the turn shape. Thanks, Bryan

I will post a photo later when I did it out of storage.

Yep, Chris is not only a super board builder but hella nice guy / excellent rider too. Knows his stuff big time.

Just some comments from a ~70kg rider...

The 4WD is wonderful for riding all the nooks and crannies, fields and coillers, and packed piste on a mountain, but definitely not the best tool for any one area. Damper than a pure powder board, I like to use my 4WD when I'm going to be spending the morning in powder and the afternoon on piste.

Regarding riding the 4WD in powder, it took me a week give-or-take a day to grow into the style that 65/65 bindings on this narrower board necessitate. But gliding down untouched white slopes on my 4WD does feel a lot... faster than a pure powder board, if not as manouverable.

On piste the edge grip feels solid, though not completely stable. Although stability admittedly is influenced by snow quality and riding style. I haven't ridden any other carving boards, but there seems plenty of pop on this board, at least enough for a foot of air between carves.

Enjoy your season, and let us know what you think of the board once after use! :)

Wow! 65 degree angles on this board seems like a lot to me. Is that out of necessity (got big feet?) of preference? And I am making the assumption that you are riding in hardboots, although with those angle you probably could get away with softies. Personally I found I could back off as low as 55 and 45. That's as low as I've had on plates before. I'm sure it'll be fine and if not I can always bring 'em up to something I find more comfortable.

Man, I'm really looking forward to getting this board on snow now! All these positive comment have me primed for winter. Hell, Summer's not even here yet. Dang!

Dude, 31! You would benefit from riding an ATV or custom wide 4WD that D-Sub is talking about. Unless you like those high angles...

I've got oposite problem - dont like angles lower then 45-40 and have small boots. So on my pow setups I ride with underhang. Even the 4WD I ride 55-50 or 50-45, while I could get away with less...

IMHO, all stock All-Mountain boards on the market have way too short sidecut radii. I demo'd a 174 at SES. As far as carving goes, I couldn't return it to the tent fast enough. Just my taste though. If I were to get one, I'd go custom. Prolly a 169 with a 12.5m sidecut. But if the price is right, I'm sure it will be an excellent value.

Damn Jack! Now why'd you have to go and do that? I had been thinking the same thing so that was partly why I had posed the question. I assumed that with a tighter sidecut radius the board would be stiffer than it is. 9.5 meters seemed a bit tight for me too.

But don't worry everyone. I haven't given up hope yet! I'm going into this with an open mind and will let the ride speak for itself. Anyway, if I find it's not the board for me, looks like there are plenty of folks here who would be willing to take it off my hands. :D

Ah, don't worry - you just get to turn more ;) with shorter SCR. Imagine that you are on a mellower slalom board, that's all.

I think that shorter scr is part of an AM's job - get around crowds or bad terrain - make a turn quickly when needed, and ride SLOWER than a pure rip-stick.

When I want to go Mah 2 and sweep big arcs (also meaning I'm on decent snow), it is the WCR 181 that comes out...

FYI: we had a spam issue with the Reviews section and in my attempt to fix it I lost all the reviews for the Prior 4WD :angryfire

It is back up but we need people to repost their reviews of that board. Made me sick to loose about 5 years of reviews of that board!

Help out and post a review please. http://www.bomberonline.com/reviews/boards.htm