Note to New Members ×

Done with school!

Justin A.

...for now, that is.

I had my second and final exam today, and I'm happy to say that I kicked it's ass all the way to the judges table (well, the waiter brought it to the judges table, but I kicked it's ass to the serving bench) and the usually anal-retentive, you guys all suck, why are you doing this anyway, chef even gave us compliments today...I imagine it's alot like graduation from Basic...the TI's hate you on the surface, but when they don't have to deal with you anymore they let you know that they actually care. It was kinda bizzare having Chef Benoit tell us that he thought we all did very well , but a welcome respite from his harshness. Graduation is friday, I can't wait to get my certificates ...I'm so excited. This is better than high school graduation. I have a month off then I'm back to school, but this time back in NH .

Congrats Justin !!

As for being yelled at, the culinary world sounds alot like the TV world. They yell at you like crazy, and then at the end of it all, congratulate you on doing a great job. That happened to me a few years ago when I took a week off work to volunteer at the Canadian Nationals and Honda Element tour snowboard comps, where I worked with the TV crew as a result of my work background. I don't mind it, as long as they're not doing it maliciously and I understand why they're doing it, as was the case with the TV crew at the races (although I only found out after the race, and not before the race , which would have been preferable. :) One thing I do like about those kind of people, though, is that they pretty much lay all their cards on the table.

Are you doing more culinary studying in NH ?

'later...

Congrats Justin. Does that mean you're catering SES?

Sure, how much ya gonna pay me? :ices_ange ;)

So Justin does this mean you'll finally get a real job and start contributing to my Social Security fund?

Not if I can help it ;)

I'm going to be finishing up at a different school back in NH, but I'm officially an LCB Graduate now :D .

Are you doing more culinary studying in NH

Yep. I'm going to finish up the degree at Atlantic Culinary Academy...I'm going to save about $5000 (at least), I won't have nearly as many crazies to deal with on a daily basis - and for those that I do have to deal with...well, you know why I love NH so much :ices_ange , I'll be 10 minutes from the ocean and 40 minutes from the area that I really call home. Best part about ACA is that all of the places that I want to work at post graduation activley recruit from them! It's not as nice of a school as LCB Ottawa, but I can deal with it for the 98% placement rate at the restaraunts/inns/hotels that I want to work at...it's like wanting to work at a law firm in Boston and NOT going to Harvard - just...why?

Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated.

bartron - you still thinking about going into pastry? How's that working out?

bartron - you still thinking about going into pastry? How's that working out?

Yeah, it's still on the table as a next career choice, along with becoming a researcher/teacher in some science.

But it's a few years out still. It's something I would do in about 4 years, when the next recession hits and I lose my job, as has happened in the last 2 recessions. That's when I'm planning on making a career change. Right now I'm going to stick it out in tech because it's hot now and will be for about another 3-4 years, and it pays really well.

In the meantime, I have a 1000-page book on pastry fundamentals and 2 cake books to tie me over. :D

'later...

Congrats, that's gotta feel pretty good.

Just out of curiousity, what are your goals? Do you have a dreamjob or destination area?

....I just had a new hood system finished today - fire inspected, stamped and all that stuff, making me one happy dude. It's supposed to be 90 tomorrow. That should put it to the test.

Congrats, that's gotta feel pretty good.

Just out of curiousity, what are your goals? Do you have a dreamjob or destination area?

....I just had a new hood system finished today - fire inspected, stamped and all that stuff, making me one happy dude. It's supposed to be 90 tomorrow. That should put it to the test.

There are a few inns and hotels that I want to work at up in tourist country in NH, then in a few years I want to open my own restaraunt up that way after I get some real-world experience under my belt. It's gonna be a good ride I think. 6 more months or so of real school, then an internship then real world. I'm excited. Graduation is in 1 1/2 hours!