Note to New Members ×

What exactly is "Dampness"

Tick

Sorry to be asking such a simple question. I checked the FAQ site and elsewhere on BOL, but didn't find anything. I'm not exactly daydream carving like skategoat, but am looking at buying a new board. What does dampness mean when refering to the performance of a board on the snow?

A damp board is generally heavy and doesn't react as much to small changes in the snow. Now keep in mind there is a difference between damp and dead. A dead board has lost its camber and doesn't react to the small changes in the snow for a different reason.

I think the carvers almanac has some good explanations...

www.alpinecarving.com

It's a good resource for lots of things alpine.

I know I'm gonna catch alot of hell for what I just said, but keep in mind I said generally. Also keep in mind I may not be the best at splainin things..

A damp board is generally heavy

My Prior Metal 177 is the lightest board I've ever owned by a wide margin.

Dampness is a measure of how quickly a system or structure returns to its equilibrium state after it has been excited or perturbed in some way.

Jack, your answer either excited or perturbed me (just kidding, couldn't resist :) )

So...that means if a board is being toted as "damp", it is able to handle variations in terrain easier than a stiffer board?

The abilty to stop vibration. Has nothing to do with weight or flex.. A damp board has a soft feel and chatters less. It can still be livley and have a stiff or soft flex. Metal make most boards damp... More fiberglass or carbon makes them less damp. High speed boards like SG or GS boards are more damp then SL boards which need mor pop and are usally less damp.

I never understand first-hand what is DAMP until I get and rode my coiler 196sg superboard (180rc regular is very damp, but superboard is DAMP!). and I cannot describe it in words...

one thing characteristic: little to none tail rebound kick at the end of the carve. 80kmh seems like 30kmh on the lively board.

Dampness is a measure of how quickly a system or structure returns to its equilibrium state after it has been excited or perturbed in some way.

I wish some of the ladies I have dated in the past were a bit more damp after reading your garrulous and edifying response. :biggthump

How about: The ability to decrease, lessen, or reduce energy's amplitude (oscillation, waves, etc.) in a given medium or material (air, water, wood, etc., etc.)

Which is really a more wordy way of saying what Billy stated above - "the ability to stop vibration."

It would be fun to experiment with devices mounted to the board that could "dampen" it while riding. Just something mounted under the bindings, like a layer of some material.

I just found out that I'm going to be a dad :) Which means that, no matter what technology brings, I won't be buying any new boards for the next 18 years :confused:

I just found out that I'm going to be a dad :) Which means that, no matter what technology brings, I won't be buying any new boards for the next 18 years :confused:

Steve, as a certified old fart dad, I have the sad :( duty to inform you that the 18 year estimate is at least 5 years too short. Can you say college or wedding? Also, don't forget to add at least a few more years for the second and third kid. But, congratulations :biggthump they are worth it.

- Dave

Thanks Dave! We're really excited. I might get lucky and only have to pay for Junior college or beauty academy. Actually things aren't too bad, I did get the OK to get a season pass for next season, so boarding isn't out, just no super-damp metal boards for a while. The rest of you guys can laugh all you want, it'll happen to you someday. :rolleyes: Chris, I didn't realize that's what they were for. Cool.

Wow, how did a thread on dampness get to kids :) ? As long as it went that way, Steve, there is one amazing intangible about kids that you can't put a price on - sharing your snow passion with them. This was my 5-year old boy's first year on the snow, and it is truly incredible sharing that with him, as most guys with kids can attest to! You can also earn "bonus points" with the wife, by "sacraficing" your weekend to take the little one to the slopes and maybe giving her a break.

The other day, my little boy already asked, "Dad, when is it ski season again?" He's turning into a demented snow freak like his dad!

"sacraficing" your weekend to take the little one to the slopes and maybe giving her a break.
Tick, you are a genius. I need to write this stuff down.
The other day, my little boy already asked, "Dad, when is it ski season again?" He's turning into a demented snow freak like his dad!
It's stuff like this that's making me really look forward to being a dad.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

A little imagination and you can transform self indulgence into "sacrificing for the good of your children." A local place has night skiing 7 nights a week. My wife would drop my son off at the base after school. He'd do his homework on the drive up. We'd go until about 9 o'clock then he'd sleep in the car on the way back. He wound up getting straight A's because I told him we would stop going if his grades slipped. A kid that's into snowboarding transforms, "Honey I'm going snowboarding - see ya," into, "Mom, can you or Dad take us snowboarding this weekend?" "Well, gee, Honey, I guess I could, and I was so looking forward to regrouting the guest bathroom."