Note to New Members ×

Do you daydream carving?

skategoat

I was at an overly long, excruciatingly boring school concert this evening and I started virtual carving. I imagined myself really cranking a heelside and grabbing the edge of the board. Then I started linking turns. After a half dozen runs, I opened my eyes to find my wife glaring at me with that "what the hell are you doing" look. She said later I was swaying my body and it definitely wasn't to the music.

Should I seek help?

I don't close my eyes, but I definately think about it alot.

When I went to Searchmont for the first time, we were riding up the lift and I just stared at the hill thinking to myself, "I'm puttin a hard healside right there... toeside... healside...." And this was on a mountain that I've never ridden or even seen before..

According to some studies anyway.

visualization alone caused more improvement than practice alone in free throw shooting in one study. both methods used together was even better:biggthump

I also heard a story about a NAM POW that played his favorite golf course in his head every day for 4 years in captivity and his handicap was significantly improved when he returned home.:freak3:

Day dream all you want just make sure your form is spot on:eplus2: don't be practicing the butt drag:lol:

Worse yet, I visualize carving while slalom skiing in the summer....pretending the boat's not there, the serenity of the mountain abounds, and each pull isn't costing me $9.00 in gas. :angryfire

PS. The best part of professional help is group, one way to surround yourself with fellow enthusiasts.

Al

PS. The best part of professional help is group, one way to surround yourself with fellow enthusiasts.

Al

Depends on what kind of enthusiasts:freak3: Some group sessions out there are a little weird:eplus2:

I daydream about carving all the time. Sometimes I'll even strap into the board just to make sure i remember what it feels like. I never dream about carving though. If there's snowboarding involved in my dream, I'm always trying to get to the mountain but something keeps me from getting there:mad:

I do that too... How many times do people here strap up in the middle of summer, just to feel the board on their feet?

I gotta say, I do it a couple, 3-4 times a summer. Usually I'll wait a while after winter, then the frequency jumping as it gets closer to winter.

I've had many of my regular students combine visualizing with standing in their equipment whenever they have time during the week between lessons and visits to the resort and, without exception, the feedback on the effect it has on their riding has been positive.

Visualization works in golf too.

Score so far

Visualization - approx 50 hole in ones

Real ones -- Four

:biggthump

That's funny... It hasn't helped me any..

Visualization - all of them, except the par 5s. I see double eagles on those..

Real ones - Ha ha ha...

Really, 4 holes in one are freakin awesome...

Really, 4 holes in one are freakin awesome...

2 of those were within 2 weeks of each other playing with the same group of guys for money. After the second one and taking their money 2X for Closest to the Pin, the Skin for the hole, $$ for Birdie and $$ for eagle, They said they wouldn't play with me any more. The other one was in a 4 man Scramble Tournament. I Tee'd off first and we all saw it go in, so they said " Well, no reason for us to even T it up" :biggthump

The more detail the better. Sight, sound, kinesthetics, even smell all add to the escape. Whether it's replaying a particularly satisfying run or mentally rehearsing what you're going to do next time, good daydreaming is the only way to survive marathon "mandatory" meetings or 75+ elementary school "Perfect Attendance" awardees. In pilot training they called it "chair flying." We'd mentally rehearse our aerobatic routines or tactical missions over and over. Some guys would go so far as to stick a plunger on the floor in front of the chair ("Break Left".)

I daydream carving a lot. I night dream carving too. It seems like the hotter it gets the more I dream carving. Powder and cord both.

Then in the middle of winter I start looking at the accumulated winter goodness and start daydreaming about river running.

:rolleyes: :o :1luvu: