Note to New Members ×

Internet Radio is in need of your help to keep it alive

Dave ESPI

***EXACTLY.***

The market DOES NOT BEAR a $14 to $20 price tag for a Compact Disc. That is why we have music piracy. Slash prices of CDs to $5.00 to $7.00, and the piracy will all but disappear.

Heck, even the iTunes store might go out of business - it's sole reason for being is to save people from buying entire CDs when all they want is one or a few songs off of one. (and iTunes is even more of a rip-off than a CD when you consider that for a dollar - roughly the current price per song of a CD or more - you don't even get CD quality.)

Dave - sorry for the threadjack, I agree that internet radio needs to pay royalties, and at a fair rate.

The market bore that price for a long time, with very little inflation (the vaverage price of a cd hasn't really changed since I got my first player in '89). You cannot blame them for trying to protect their place in the market.

Regarding I-tunes

has anyone used www.mp3search.ru? I hear it is a russian site (disclaimer is in cryllic, rest is in english) with $0.18 downloads (the going rate in russia for music). It is supposed to be a good site, with good features, and totally legit. Any feedback?

I do not work for Bose.

Yes masters still need to be in the highest formats. (You can get live recordings that are mastered live and recorded straight to CD.) The technology for higher than CD audio quality is arround but not desired by the mass market.

You do have an ear, everybody does. Listening is a skill and some people don't have an interest or desire in practicing it. It seems to be a skill not suited for todays fast paced lifestyles. You need to sit down, relax, stop talking and focus on what you are listening to. Some people like to do that, some don't, some like to carve, some don't.

I would be more interested in I-net audio if it was high quality audio.

Come a long way since the phonograph? hmmm...

The market bore that price for a long time, with very little inflation (the vaverage price of a cd hasn't really changed since I got my first player in '89). You cannot blame them for trying to protect their place in the market.

The market bore that price because a CD was clearly superior to cassette in every way, but also because we were waiting for the price to come down. This is the standard way of emerging technology - expensive at first, cheaper as it becomes more ubiquitous. You can't commend the industry for the price of a CD not inflating - it is already inflated.

You said it yourself, the price of CD's has not gone down as it should have. Music lovers and even casual listeners had gotten hooked on the quality and convenience of CDs, so we certainly weren't going to go back to tape. The music industry basically copied the business model of drug dealers - get people hooked, and charge unfair prices. So when the wait-time for fairly priced CDs extended into the digital age, a way around the problem presented itself - the floodwater found its way around the dam.

The relative value of $15 in 1989 is anywhere from $23-$34 depending on which calculator you use. That a new CD still costs the same (and there are plenty of cheaper CDs out there) 15 dollars as it did in '89, tells me that the price has gone down relative to the rate at which most prices have increased since then.

As for double cassette players, they still required that an acquaintance purchased the music. Kaaza, limewire and the likes allow anyone to get any music that only one person had to purchase at one point. With that ease of piracy, it's no wonder that prices remain high.