Note to New Members ×

Hangl Plate Configuration

Vandalrob08

Ok So I got one of these 07 Kesslers with a hangl plate. The board is set up for a Goofy Rider And I ride Regular. I have dissasembled half of the plate and am stumped. After you diss assemble the entire (Half) of the plate, there is a long white strip that the plate lies on....How the flip do you move that thing...Is it glued on or what????

just come off

unless I have a different part in mind, perhaps a picture would help?

so, are you gonna remount these yourself?

good luck with that but I'd really suggest having a shop do it, you have no idea how much experience with mounting skis will help you with this

ohhhhhh, okay now I know what you're talking about, it's a easily obtainable from 3M but I don't remember what it's called but you can get the stuff in sheets and cut it to size

you can carefully peel it of I'd think, maybe start with a razor blade

It's secured to the board with thin "2 sided" tape. Best luck I've had to remove it is with a piece of fishing line. Take the line and hold it on either side of the strip at one end. Work it under the tape and pull back and forth until you get it going. Some rubbing alcohol or 'goof off' helps to cut the glue and allow the fish line to feed under the metal strip. Try to not bend the strip... it just doesn't hold down as well afterwards when you tape it.

Don't know what the thickness tolerance is for the tape but there is a very permanent high bond product made by 3M called 'VHB' tape (stands for Very High Bond). I think Home Depot sells it. It is a transperent gel tape about 1 mm thick. Best bond is produced by cleaning surfaces with alcohol and heating with a blow dryer. The resilience of the gel and the extra thickness makes the bond very durable at low temperatures.

I am going to have One of our local boarders Zac Kay put the plate back on for me but... There arent any inserts drilled to re arrange the Hangl for a Regular Rider??? Does this mean that I cant Ride It With The Hangl? Does it mean that I have to have a shop put in more inserts and Heli Coils??? Will More inserts affect the board in a bad way???

yes and yes

they are put on most boards without what we call inserts excluding some of the coilers out there

ski screws are weaker than inserts and every place you put one in is another place for a delam to start

the board will probably be fine though, ride it and find out

to have the plate installed I'd find someone that has done these before or someone who's been mounting ski for years and has a good idea of how the gear works

I agree with bob on the delam issue...

you are taking a chance by needing to put another 24 holes into the board. i did it with my donek and raced this past season with no trouble. I also worked in a ski/snowbaord shop for about 7 years.

i would advise not riding the hangl plate if you need to switch it to regular footed from a goofy footed stance- i think it's a big risk.

the kesslerr probably doesnt have a 4X4 insert pack though, correct?

i would recommend heli-coils or the equivalent if you are an aggressive rider. i got 60 days out of my set up and i weigh in at 200 pounds. (the system still has no visual signs of failure)...

good luck.

I think there is no delamn issue on a Kessler, neither would be on a Tomahawk (that has allways screwed in directly) or a SG snowboard. Titanal snowboards like skis generally should do fine without inserts.

I've seen goofy and regular insert packs on test boards though (well not 4x4 but 4 and 4 wholes to mount plates on so 8 wholes in total

ski tear out all the time

in particular with remounts

these days tele skis are gettin' inserts and there are some proprietary approaches to aleviate the issue on alpine skis

tear out is possible, trust me