Note to New Members ×

Flex or Not to Flex?

stiff more better...at least for me. I love my Fullbag (which is stiff) and after trying a Pavel, an Ick, a couple of Pocket Pistols, an Axe and a Fatboy the Fullbag just feels natural for me compared to the others. Of course the concave is part of the issue (none of the others has as good a concave) but the response of the Fullbag compared to the others for me was significant. I couldn't imagine using a flexy slalom board. BTW Karl Floitgraf is FAST.....really realllly FAST, nice guy too very dedicated to Slalom Skateboarding.

I found running cones to be similar to snowboarding especially when you get a bit behind and end up driving from the backseat.

Envious of those who are still young and brave enough to do it. Me, I think I am done hitting the asphalt. The desire is still there. Just can't take the "Hits".

All my skate gear (not that much really) is going to auction. Accept a few prize items , even a few of those. Turner Needle nose NOS etc.

Not the skateboards that have the "Oldsnowboards" connection. I.E. Winterstick "Streetstick" , Lonnie Toft 10" etc.

Always looking for more in that class.

Anyone got a NOS "Bert Lamar" Sims Pig board for sale? Dreaming out loud.

Slalom skateboarding doesn't really have any hits....wearing gear is still a must but it's so fun to carve cones...oh yeah and I'm 40 so I'm not really young

Not "Hits" like running into a car perhaps, but was that blood and flesh coming off my body my imagination? Did'nt seem like it at the time. :freak3:

Just a guess, one your probably an accomplished skater so you don't fall often.

Two , your not skating in my 50 year old body? I could skate just fine.

It is the superman's onto the pavement that hurt. I know, tuck and roll or run it out. Wish it always went like that. Tell me about it in 10 years. :)

Save the multitude of examples of 80 year old this and that. This guy?, it ain't happening. Judgement call and a good one right now. Saving it for the winter sports. :biggthump

Enjoy!!

accomplished? No, my best result skateboarding happened 2 weeks ago when I placed 13th at Needham. Experienced yes +35 years of rolling around on 4 wheels gives me a bit of a balance advantage but slalom skateboarding feels more like alpine snowboarding than poolskating (what I normally do) does so I'm learning all over again. The big thing is to learn how to fall, running out destroys the knees, tuck and roll exposes part of you body to angles and such that don't need to be exposed....I subscribe to the fall to you knees and pray method of skateboard falling...which of course always requires kneepads (made that mistake ONCE) but a good set of kneepads (187's, PD's, Pain Cheaters) is as much of an investment as a helmet and will last much longer (I've got 6 years on my PD's). Yes there are lots of old guys skating thats because of protective equipment and the judgement to not try some of the things that we used to be able to do without thinking. Age drove onto longer boards and into disciplines like Slalom, Dancing, pumping, distance carving and back to skating curbs. Collecting a skateboard quiver is as much fun as a snowboard quiver and it cost's less...per board anyway my 7 boards total out at about $1500.

Hey TP - great to meet you and race with ya in Needham. I meant to get your contact info but now I know where to find you. will you be at Mahwah, NJ or Montreal June 3rd? I'm not sure which way I'm headed yet - probably will depend on the weather and where PSR and Karl go.

At 45, getting back into slalom skating is the best thing I've done in YEARS! C'mon Bry, it ain't half as bad as you make it sound...and the people who do it make it even better. The equipment (including the safety equipment!) is light years from what you may have ridden years ago. You can always go full leathers and full face mototrcycle helmet if needed - seriously. I think you can get just as wracked snowboarding. I know I go A LOT faster on my snowboards than on the slalom skates. I know it's a personal choice of course, just bustin' on ya a bit...but man is it FUN!

Side note - the WORLDS are in the US this year in Statesville, NC in September. Even for those who don't want to race, it will be a killer event to attend.

Roll and Rock,

-RF

good to meet you too we need to get together this winter tooo though I'll be much further behind you on the slopes than I was on asphault. Sadly I have to work this coming weekend (if there's no rain that is) so I won't be going to Jersey. I think my next event is gonna be the Wheelabrator Jam on July 1st (in Conn) (Hybrid SL and Slide) unless there are any outlaws up in Boston between now and then. Karl looks like he's doing well in Paris.

As for getting hurt skating; I was hurt way worse last winter snowboarding than I've been hurt skating in like 20 years....It funny at Needham when it came time to race all the old guys (and girls) were strapping on the pads, braces, gloves, helmets and such, it was like soldiers going to war...Dr Dan even had a full face, none of us needed it but we were protected none the less. Check out the animal print kneepads I'm wearing in front. Starting slow and just trying to run clean is a blast forget trying to run at "Karl speed" (name the slalom speedster of your own choice). I really like Hybrid the best not the speed of GS nor the perfect technique required of Tight. Hybrid is also the easiest to practice.

group.jpg

Hey Tony - how did you find out about the Wheelabrator Jam? Where in CT is it? Karl said to keep checking the NCDSA calendar for a race at the Soap Box Hill but didn't indicate a probable date.

Speaking of pads - I have an extra set of Pro-Tec knees like new for $30 shipped if anyone needs 'em. I'd like to get some PD's eventually - thatz some serious protection! And of course that white Cascade kayak helmet I'm using has to be replaced with something a little more stylie!

Bola - I'm a flex/pump guy myself, but I've never tried an Axe...Richy, among others, seems to do pretty well on them though. Wonder when Kessler will start making skate SL racing decks? Half kidding, but remember when Blizzard got into the act years ago? And those old Powell Quiksilver decks had alu construction top and bottom...I forget what the core was made of.

Hey Tony - how did you find out about the Wheelabrator Jam? Where in CT is it? Karl said to keep checking the NCDSA calendar for a race at the Soap Box Hill but didn't indicate a probable date.

not to step on toes, but silverfishlongboarding.com

theres a CT thread.

• 3 months later...
Brian, did all your old gear get sold at auction ?

Turner Needle nose NOS ???

QUOTE]

I decided against selling the Turner's. After cruising some of the skateboards forums I decided it would not be worth selling them in the current market. I have three NOS (re-issue) Needle Nose. One is not likely to ever sell (Signed up at a rare Hood River Salom event by many of the legends) It was a really fun day and that one will stay in my collection of memories for sure. The other two I would sell if the price is right. They are just so SEXY!!! The craftsmenship is incredible. Thanks, Bryan

post-198-141842235317_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842235319_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842235321_thumb.jpg