Note to New Members ×

Longboard suggestions/offers

Pow

I'm looking for a board not just for cruising and carving, but one that can handle some speed as well. Ive really got my eye on a specific model, but it comes to over 400 once shipping is taken into consideration.

Id like one for under 200, so anybody know of a good cheap board that I won't be afraid to rage the mountains on? Or better yet anybody willing to part with one?

I'm 160 lbs, 5 foot 9, if you would like to know. Ive checked out the various soft bamboo boards (sector nine surf camp, arbor pintail) at zumies, but i don't think they'll be able to handle the speed (correct me if im wrong, because i was only making assumptions based on how they handled the flats).

a landyachtz drop wedge or evo would do the job for ya.

drop wedge is pretty easy to set up, evo has some funky angles that you have to work around.

www.milehighskates.com is a great place to order from, and there are nice completes there, though the drop wedge completes are speed-biased, with force C7 35 degree trucks.

theres also some topmount options, such as a rayne avenger or similar.

pick up some crail trucks for that option.

if you let us know what you mean by downhill (you might consider it to be 25 mph or so, others consider it 35+) we/i can help you out some more

I need a board for 35+ specifically for Mount Greylock, but i'm sure i'll find other occasions to use such a board. Thanks for the info:biggthump

edit: ohh, and im looking for a complete, not just a deck. should have put that in my original post:smashfrea

At this point ive found enough of the affordable stuff online so that Im not looking for used anymore, so no offers please! but any more input is greatly appreciated:biggthump

right now im liking the DH, I was thinking i could also save some money and stick with a more traditional longboard by going with the Sector 9 Bomb Hills or the Arbor Blunt... any thoughts on this? I know they wont be as good as the DH, but I'm wondering if Arbor and Sector 9 actually make boards for 35+ speeds, even though they advertise them for "bombing hills"

bomb hills is a capible topmount raceboard.

a little long, actually, but perfectly useable.

people can ride them, with randal 180s, in races.

takes a bit of skill to ride 50 degree trucks at that speed though, you may wish to look at some force C7s or crail DH trucks, they'll make it easier on ya and not break the bank.

by the way, the DH is a bit on the narrow side, and not very maneuverable for tighter corners. best for pointing straight down a hill

Guest needanswer
you might want to check out www.krackedskulls.com They have a nice board for little money. Drop thru truck design lowers the deck height. I love mine.

that's low. any idea how it compares to a loaded vanguard?

does the drop limit turn radius like board edge would skuff the ground on hard carves?

if no, why don't they make all boards with drop thru design?

thanks.

drop through boards are pretty much multipurpose boards...you can DH them though they aren't as stable as drop board, you can carve them though they aren't as easy to carve as a top mount. They are a class unto themselves, often called speedcarver's, they have the advantage of not needing huge wheels like a drop board which is a big plus. The only problem is that they are made for Randal type trucks only and even then there are some trucks that won't work in some boards

I went with the Arbor, my friend is getting a bomb hills, and another one of my friends is considering getting either the bomb hills or the cracked skulls (thanks to your post!:biggthump ) $106 for a complete is mega cheap, and they seem like good quality boards.

I just talked to Bill at Kracked Skulls and he has a more downhill specific version of the M1, called the M1 Scimitar, if anyone is considering racing DH - only $154 complete, which is still a MEGA deal.

Here is what he sent me...

"The M1 is discounted deeply and does have a 73mm wheel size limitation.

I have a different board for you.

The M1 Scimitar Edition is available in lengths from 38 to 46".

It comes standard with the Randal RII 180, 76mm Gumballs at 78a duro, Oust Moc7 speed bearings and spacers.

The width varies with the length to maintain a good flex, for example the 46" is about 10" wide, and the 38" is about 8.5" wide.

The costs are as follows:

complete is $154

deck with trucks $89.95

deck only with mounting hardware $59.95

add shipping.

There is a lead on these of two days if I don't have it cut already.

It is available with my standard graphic on the bottom in red or without the graphic.

Soon it will be listed as right now I only lack the photos to do it.

83mm Flywheels 78a duro are the wheel upgrade and are $25 more"

Again, if anyone here wants to find extended info on this subject visit the forums at www.silverfishlongboarding or www.ncdsa.com

Ride on!!!

-RF

that's low. any idea how it compares to a loaded vanguard?

does the drop limit turn radius like board edge would skuff the ground on hard carves?

if no, why don't they make all boards with drop thru design?

thanks.

The drop doesn't limit turn radius - that's more a function of board length / truck width or and setup (i.e. wheelbase and bushing type) / kingpin angle. The only way you'd scuff the board edge on the ground turning is if your wheels were too small for the deck. The reason all boards aren't drop thru is simple. Drop thru lowers your COG meaning more stability at speed (less chance of speed wobble) but at the cost of manuverability, which you don't want in a board made for speed. I'm not saying there is NO manuverability, but it won't be anywhere near as loose and juicy as a slalom setup on a 30-34 inch board with 19-22" wheelbase with 100mm wide trucks for example. Just like risers on an alpine snowboard increase leverage for tight turns, so does a higher deck on a skateboard, so tight turning decks want to be higher off the ground - to a point of course...eventually height means loss of stability.