Note to New Members ×

Is this a decent F2 Board

Tick

The roadster is an extremely crappy board. If you want a short and wide F2 for hardboots try to get a Speedcross. It´s a much better construction and fun to ride when it´s crowded or to take out into moguls.

/M

A 166 Roadster was my first carving board about 5 years ago. It is F2s entry-level alpine board and was fine for a first board, but had some quirky flex characteristics and a definite speed limit once you started to push harder. I replaced it with a Burton Speed 168W which was all around a much better performing board. The Roadster's construction materials are not even close to the Speedster, nor your Volkl or Donek. It has cap constuction and a Graphite impregnated F-1000 base vs sandwich construction and an F-8000 base for the Speedster. Here's an excerpt from an old Blue Tomato ad ( I love some of the translations):

F2 ROADSTER

Very simply driving Freecarver for in and Umsteiger, which want to have fun beside the runway also still in the area.

Level: Einsteiger&Fortgeschrittene

Terrain: Hard luggage & all terrain

Connection: Yield disk connection

Handling characteristics:

Very Carvingboard with high engine speed and well to be dosed with super edge grasp and simple kurvenverhalten.

Lengths

Size 166

Effective Edge > mm< 1430

Waist Width > mm< 220

Sidecut radius > m< 9

Weight > kg< 3.4

Stance > mm< 460

receiver binding angle

Being thing angle>°< 50/43

Target group

target group > kg< 70+

Construction: 45° Suspensioncap

Triaxial laminates

F-1000 graphite cousin

Twin torsion core

Fathead edge

EURO 300. - | DM 599, -

inclusive. Bdg Freecarve or connection Intec Challange

I still use mine as an early season rock board

O.K, I get the input. Stay away from that board. I'm just struggling looking for an "all purpose" board. I have a Donek Freecarve 171, which I LOVE. It actually works awesome on my home mountain at Silver Creek (Snowshoe, WV). But when I go out west, I love to hit the steeps and trees, and sometimes have a hard time getting the FC to respond quickly enough. I also have to work hard to keep the nose up in significant powder. I crave the big carves as opposed to short snappy turns (grew up in Florida surfing, and love to surf the mountain). I'm finding it hard to find one board that can "do it all". I usually end up bringing two board on my trips, my FC and something shorter, but would like to reduce that to one.

Coiler AM unlike the donek axis and other alpine All Mountain rides from other vendors the Coiler AM has a flex that works for both hard pack and soft crud

I've been on allot of boards and if I had to choose one board to do it all on it would be a AM

they're not too expensive either, if you get it with the extra rubber it will come in just below 700 US, cheaper than a donek olympic and better for what you wanna do.....

I do have to say that metal is worth the extra money so get it if you can.

Coiler AM unlike the donek axis and other alpine All Mountain rides from other vendors the Coiler AM has a flex that works for both hard pack and soft crud

I've been on allot of boards and if I had to choose one board to do it all on it would be a AM

they're not too expensive either, if you get it with the extra rubber it will come in just below 700 US, cheaper than a donek olympic and better for what you wanna do.....

I do have to say that metal is worth the extra money so get it if you can.

Coiler AM Metal.... it does exist and it's the sh*t. I will wrote more later, not enough time to write it up @ work right now.