Note to New Members ×

kiteboarder chaos

Dr D

I was in jupiter fl last week, in the ocean and a kiter was using me as a target, pissed me off, I had no pity when he hit a wave twisted, got upside down, and almost broke his neck in shallow water,and broke his kite. Nothing wrong with kite boarding, just that guy was a prick, when he got up he was trying to tell me that when you're pushing the envelope things happen, I laughed till I cried

Then I saw in the paper some guy got blown onto the shore,

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=20819107463

a long way-300 feet, hit a parked car, now I understand they are prohibited, can't verify that, but no more kites are in the water

Crazy, Ya and if you get into a crash with a car they should ban cars also!!!

Kiting is safer then snowboarding if you are a safe Kiter. Problem is alot of people buy a kite and just try to have at it with out lessons. Just like many buy snowboards and try to have at it.

Also kiting is safer in shallow water so if something goes wrong you can walk in. Hence the guy in neck deep water.

I'm sure the guy "useing you as a target" wasn't really doing so. And perhaps a comment asking for some room would have changed it all. laughing at some one crashing seems a bit odd.

I have read the account of the article in the paper on kite forums the KID who got dragged had no lessons and very little experance. he also had much to large a kite for that days wind or his ability. It would be like putting a new rider on a 225 SG board at the top of a FIS down hill without and saftey fence for his first run ever.

Most beleave the vid to be fake. There are airports where you can kite at the end of the runway. I haven't heard anything about it on any Kite forums.

There are FAA rules about how high you can fly any object in the approach pattern.

The guy had also "unhooked" to do a Railey for the camerea. With that much pull he probably would not have been able to hold on and would have a different image when being sucked away.. One of him being pulled sideways by the saftey leash of his harness. Plus it seems a bit odd the kid smiling and pointing to the sky.

The fact that the kite is flapping behind the engine and the spectra lines that melt at a very low temp didn't melt after going thre the turbine also seems a bit suspect.

Plus almost seems poor taste to post on Break if the guy was killled which I would imagain happens when you pass a human threw a jet engine while making enough thrust to fly, I have seen the Navy crew man vid with the aircraft stopped and that guy got messed up. Seem like the fall alone would do ya in if you made it?

I'm sure the guy "useing you as a target" wasn't really doing so. And perhaps a comment asking for some room would have changed it all. laughing at some one crashing seems a bit odd.

we were the only people in the water, he had been spending his time several hundred yards away, when I entered the water he decided that where I was standing was where he needed to be, laughed till I cried was just an expression, I was concerned when I saw him go down, hugh surf, upside down and tangled, but when he started boasting about pushing the envelope I had a hard time keeping a straight face, the guy was a jerk

Some people are just assses... Perhaps he thought you were cute and wanted to impress you :p ha. ha.

I am sorry if my last post was foward i didn't mean it to be. But after rereading it it seems a bit harsh.

Not a problem, I am thinking about a rig myself, grew up on a lake, used to spend nights syphoning gas from cars and days waterskiing on the lake, made our own skis because the commercial products then were piss poor, single skis were the same as doubles, we made em wider with shape and large fins, used to sailboard, stopped because it was boreing if the wind wasn't above 40mph on sunappe, hmmm, no asphalt to hit, hmm

I wondered if it was fake. Although it doesn't appear that it went through the engine. It loooks more like a snag to me. A turbine wouldn't likely reel in something that long and suck it in. I also couldn't see the guy in the picture when looking at the plane. IT seems likely that he would have cut free if he was experienced and hit the fence or something. I can see how the vortex of a large jet would suck you up and spit you out even if you didn't get snagged by the plane itself. maybe the second part of the clip with the piece flapping behind is the fake part. He could have got some big air when the jet went by and come back down after the camera moves past.

Smart stunt! Keep trying buddy.

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=164908

I'd like to personally thank the Kitesurfing community ( marypoppins.org? )

For the KILLER windsurfing session I had last Tuesday.

With only a 1/2 dozen dedicated windsurfers due to the mass kite migration, and conditions too windy for kites made for an EPIC UNCROWDED DAY!!!!!!! It's like having a whole groomed mountain to yourself all day.

10 years ago it would have been an annoying cluster of kooks!

Keep on kitin'!

post-182-14184223273_thumb.jpg

Dano looks like great wind, i have a 5m and a 3m that are good around 40+ we had 35+ gust on saturday that I was easily holding my 7m down in and some of the heaver guys were out on 9m and 11m. But again thats land locked sailing. Was it offshore? that will keep any kiter out of the water in the ocean.

Ursle. Make the plunge kiting is great any time its 15+ even though you can ride in as little as 10, and I have heard the Snowkite scene at sunapee is sick in the winter. All the freash tracks you can handle.... And the summer is a great time to work on your airs on the water. Just be sure to take a lesson there are alot of saftey asppects you need to be taught. By a 3m Best trainer and learn to fly the kite first then when you roll into your lesson it will be smooth sailing!

Hey Bordo,

Totally onshore, WW was there but said it was too cold and windy to kite or some damn thing. I'm from further north and it felt MUCH warmer to me.

It was a wsw at Kalmus Beach, on the south side of the cape. I'm sure if you continue running in kite circles and want great summer wind and conditions you'll end up on Cape Cod eventually. Best wind on the east coast north of corpus christi. There a whole crew with places to stay.

It seems Kiters around here are more dialed for 15 to 20 mph wind ...which is barely worth doing windsurfing, unless you like huge boards and sails. If I'm lucky I might get 7 days like last tuesday a year. Totally wound up on a 5.6 sail and 95 liter shortboard. YEEEEAHHHBAYBEEEEEE!

post-182-141842232746_thumb.jpg

post-182-141842232748_thumb.jpg

Is here playing Drunken Kennedy In-law on the beach in Hyannis.

http://www.yachtsmancondo.com/photo_gallery.html

My in-laws have a unit at the same place, so WW is impossible to aviod. :)

The other day he was babbling to gapers the beach parking lot bartering kite lessons for who knows what.... He also enjoys taunting windsurfers there who need to lug massive ammounts of gear around

C'mon down Bob, Take the train. WW's not using his RV, I'm sure you could squat there.

post-182-141842232749_thumb.jpg

post-182-141842232752_thumb.jpg

post-182-141842232755_thumb.jpg