Note to New Members ×

Great books

skategoat

For Fun I read Clive Cussler...It is mindless, but fun..

The last great book I read (for the fourth time) was a must read for anyone interested in the stock market. "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds"

detailed studies of market bubbles and their aftermath. if you have anything in the stock market, read this book.

And the bit where she's going to be skinned alive by the Skaldi warlord - I almost couldn't read that bit. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch!

In that case, I suggest you stay away from A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. It's an incredibly easy book to read, but it's non-stop misery. And he's very descriptive with the violence in the story. I got up to about half the book (it's a 700-page book, so I still managed to read quite a bit :) ), and then stopped. That was about 2 years ago. Despite cries of being pussy by my ultimate-book-geek best friend who recommended it to me, I still haven't picked it up. If I ever get out of this semi-depressive state and get back my thick coat of optimism, I'll pick it up again.

I'm still extremely surprised that book was so hugely popular and award-winning. Apparently the ending is really nice.

'later...

If you are into Fantasy at all, read about the Heralds of Valdemar. Mercedes lackey wrote several novels featuring swoard and sorcery. She has a great talent for creating characters you really care about. A friend introduced me to her work by giving me the first 5 books in the series. I asked her why she gave me so many, and what if I don't like them (at the time I never read fantasy). She just laughed and said to trust her. Glad I did. Loved those books.