Note to New Members ×

Bad Beers

Gecko

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it happens with names more than you think....look at the WWE; they sued the World Wildlife Fund for the use of the initials WWF...they lost bigtime and not only ended up paying all the court costs but also penalized a bunch of money for the nuisance of bringing the suit in the first place.

agreed with Gecko I work for a large law firm the does alot of IP/Patent law and some companies are very aggressive with their IP (intellectual property). We have lawyers constantly searching the search engines looking for infringement all across the world. but back to the beer...we use to get the beer from our local bar call "Golden Anniversary" granted this was a awhile ago but a case at 1:30am at the bar would cost us 12$. whoever said MHL was good I agree as for all the rest

Natural Ice

Milwaukee Beast

I love IPA's but I know a lot of people who don't so I guess it's an acquired taste. My current favorite is Dogfish Head and it goes well with all manner of spicy food howevr it's rather pricey so i don't buy it often. The beer I'm presently drinking is Harpoon Munich Type Dark which is very chocolaty especially for a Munich beer which in truth is not a favorite of mine normally. Rhode Island Blueberry ale is rather nice to since I followed the Harpoon with it.

guinness is a true beer period . . . . Thats all i can say

My eyes burn too when reading such things... it seems so incomprehensible to me. But then you have to look at things that may have happened to these people. They might have been dropped on their head, or had their taste buds surgically removed by accident when their tonsils came out and they don't know it.

I think for some their brain shuts off in some sort of sensory overload, kind of like whoa, whoa, too much flavor - must get back to fermented sugar water.

As for me I cooked up some pork chops in garlic with veggies last night, deglazed the pan with some Guinness ( happened to have a glass in my hand at the time) and mushrooms, which added a rich smoky flavor to the meal. My girls loved them too. Although some may claim cooking with it to be a sacrilege of sorts - I will be doing it again. :biggthump

Years ago I knew a guy who worked for Anheuser-Busch. He would tell me how AB made beers like Michelob and Bud. One of the things that really sticks in my mind is they injected the CO2 into the beer. He said the main reason AB did this (as well as any other major beer producer in America) is to save costs. Less brewing time = bigger profits.

When I drink an imported beer from Germany, Austria, or Belgium I can taste a difference not only in the overall flavor but in the quality of the bubbles. That is to say, the imports have a distinct champagne-like quality to the carbonation whereas domestic carbonation 'bites' because it isn't smooth going down.

Because of this, I have all but sworn off most beers produced in the US. Does anyone else know what else US brewers do to the beer they produce? I'd rather pay a few extra cents for a beer that hasn't been tweaked just to squeeze out more profits.

Mark

Trois Pistoles

Not nercessarily a bad beer, I just think it is terribly disgusting and tastes like shlt. Some people like it though...

leave it to callen to bring up one of the higher quality mass produced beers in north america

it is strong and perfumy though, if it's not your thing it's overload

Heineken is only good in the Netherlands. They don't actually export the good stuff. Plus is has to be poured correctly with lots of head. The stuff here is ram piss!

As for Guinness, best beer ever! It won't be beat, it can't be beat, it IS the champion.

Piels. Worst beer ever! My dad used to drink that stuff. I think it so I wouldn't swipe it. Keystone pulls in a close second though and he still drinks that crap.

But hey, I'm no beer snob like Jack. The best beer is free beer. Don't kid yourself.

leave it to callen to bring up one of the higher quality mass produced beers in north america

it is strong and perfumy though, if it's not your thing it's overload

Eh? What's that supposed to mean?

I never said it wasn't a quality beer, I just think it tastes really funky. I enjoy the nose though, it really is perfumed, but something about how it tastes just rubs me the wrong way.

I enjoy the nose though, it really is perfumed, but something about how it tastes just rubs me the wrong way.

Perfumed how....are we talking Calvin Kline Obsession perfumed or Harpoon Raspberry Wheat. If it's the former it ranks up there with Oscar the later and well that's fine with me

it's similar to the other beers from the same brewery just has more to it

what I meant earlier was that of all the beers around you'd pick one that is not all that common and rather high end to hate when you're in CO where there is plenty of bad beer like hidden lake or is it lost lake something with a lake in the name

But hey, I'm no beer snob like Jack.

There is one green bottle sorta skunky beer I will drink - Carlsberg. It's like Heineken if Heineken was actually good.

I have a friend who runs a high-end wine and beer shoppe. Yes, shoppe. He says that the Belgian Abby beers that are so delicious and have such creamy meringue-like heads could not be produced in the states due to health codes. He says that the buildings they're brewed in are ancient wooden structures that have mold, mildew, and other stuff growing on the ceiling that flakes off and wafts down into the brewing kettles, resulting in the goodness that can only be found there.

He says that the buildings they're brewed in are ancient wooden structures that have mold, mildew, and other stuff growing on the ceiling that flakes off and wafts down into the brewing kettles, resulting in the goodness that can only be found there.

so, you get your beer, and your penicillin all in one :biggthump

I have a friend who runs a high-end wine and beer shoppe. Yes, shoppe. He says that the Belgian Abby beers that are so delicious and have such creamy meringue-like heads could not be produced in the states due to health codes. He says that the buildings they're brewed in are ancient wooden structures that have mold, mildew, and other stuff growing on the ceiling that flakes off and wafts down into the brewing kettles, resulting in the goodness that can only be found there.

That would go a long way in explaining my almost perfect health since I began imbibing only Chimay Belgian Ales!

Jack, thank you for that fine post. I have a customer who (is from Denmark) and regularly buys Carlsberg and raves about it. I've had it ICE ICE cold and it's not bad. See, if the beer is too cold it'll always taste good. Even to a beer snob. The real test is when it has had a chance to breathe and gain some temperature. Kinda like cheese sitting out on the counter.

PBR is so damn good out of a cooler after sessioning a pool or skatepark in the hot summer. But, warm PBR while listening to my MIL talk about her last gastric bypass, ewwwwwwwww!

Bad beers are easy to hide when they are ice cold. They get by most beer drinkers. Let them come up in temp and WHAMMO! That's when the room starts to spin. Really good beers taste okay cold but really shine when you serve them around 45ºf to 50ºf. That's when the brain recognizes real good flavors and tells the taste buds to keep it coming.

You know, what would be fun is to organize a summer BOL trip to Milwaukee or some other major American city to taste Bad Beers. Then on to Europe to taste really good beers. Like Schneider and Sohns Aventinus (a doppelbock) or their Schneider-Weisse which are both great stand alone beers. Next, the Spaten brewery for a week long beerfest. Maybe even pick up some Viruses while we are all there.

Okay, maybe not (sez the look from the wife). :nono:

Mark

Well Bob, I just finised drinking a bit of trois pistoles and I would rather drink some PBR or natty light any day. Albeit in this iunstance I am drining chimay's blue label. And following it up withy some sauternes.

And I probably shouldnt' be typing right now.

well I was looking through my local package store's selection of IPA's and I came across "Trinity Beer Co" IPA....from Providence RI well after drink a few bottle I decided that it's good, real good, good enough to become my regular IPA. So I did a little search and found out that it's actually made right across the river in Pawcatuck. I very tasty brew that I will be drinking for a while

While working in texas long ago, the migrant workers would drink this AWFUL skunked brew that came in clear quart bottles and had an indian chief on the label...( Indian Head? ) Sooooooo nasty and super skunked.....tasted like molson golden left outside for 10 years.

Another bad brew me and my roommates would get back in the day was "Glacier Bay". It came in dinged/scatched up deposit bottles that featured a "cap-twister-offer" molded into the base of the bottle.

Honorable mentions would be Piels and Stegmeirs and of course leftover green st patty's day beer on clearance. YUCK!

Now I drink Harpoon IPA's and Sierra Nevada ale, or Corona/lime on the beach.

Now I drink Harpoon IPA's and Sierra Nevada ale, or Corona/lime on the beach.

If you like Harpoon IPA you need to try Trinity IPA, made in Pawcatuck CT using Westerly artesian water (Rhode Island's best tasting water so pure no chlorine needed) very nice brewing water.

and back on topic San Miguel beer the pride of the Philippines is particularly nasty with all the formaldehyde in it :barf: