Note to New Members ×

Bad Beers

Gecko

I was in the check out line at the liqour store and the two guys in front of me were having a problem. They had ordered a keg of Bud light for a party and the store had messed up, only having regular Bud. After much arguing, one of the two exclaimed "this is so embarrassing". I had to say to them "I'd be embarrassed too, if I were trying to buy a keg of Bud Light"

BobD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ugggh I'd fogotten about Red Dawg...it's pretty sad when beer won't get touched in a house full of single guys holding parties

I used to brew with a guy, his little brewpub was called "Red Dawg". He'd been in business about 5 or 6 years, when some shmuck from Miller comes in one day and slaps a lawsuit on the counter. Tells him they own the name, now that their beer's been on the grocery store shelf for a few months.

He built a damn fine new brewpub with the settlement, that beer put his kids through college.

As to the worst beer I've had, that'd be Michelob N/A in lukewarm cans on the flight deck in the middle of the Persian Gulf. Floated around for weeks looking forward to beer call -- damn skipper was a teetotaler, so he had N/A beer shipped aboard.

-jon-

oh yeah...any of you fellow new englanders ever have Narragansett???? it was the cheap teen beer of choice for most of us growing up...It ranks up there with Carlings various offerings.

Gecko, I've had Narragansett and I rate it right up there with Bud, Miller, etc. :cool: So basically terrible. I work in Smithfield RI and can't believe the RI guys I work with love this stuff.

I would agree with Jack on all but the Corona as skunky beers are a taste I never aquired.But nothing beats being on the lake on a hot day with a cold Corona and lime.

I will actually enjoy a Corona with lime on a hot day if someone gives me one, but that's the thing, it is only tolerable with lime.

Yes, I do not understand the skunky beer thing. Heineken, et al, smell and taste like the business end of a skunk. Literally. What's up with that?? And Stella - they try to play the "made in Belgium" card, but make no mistake, it is no Belgian-style beer. Just another skunky Heineken rip-off. You want Belgian, get Leffe, Hoegaarden, Gulden Draake...

Every year we go on a mild whitewater canoe trip with the old college buddies and try to drink like we used to back in the day and that usually means that we buy a bunch of the cheapest cases we can find. With that said, the worst beers I've had are:

Burger (should be an umlat over the u)

pigs eye

grainbelt

some horrible thing in a green can that started with an L

I think we paid about $6 a case for most of those. You'd think that floating down a river in the hot sun anything would taste good cold, but some of that stuff was so bad it wasn't even enjoyable then.

so, Geoff, what is the best place locally to have a guiness? (said the new guy in town, still looking for a good pub with excellent wings)

Noah, locally I haven't found a good place that has it on tap or can poor it correctly :angryfire At least not in Garfton or Whitinsville. I wounder if Post Office Pub right in Grafton is any good, I haven't been there in years so I don't remember.

I will actually enjoy a Corona with lime on a hot day if someone gives me one, but that's the thing, it is only tolerable with lime.

Yes, I do not understand the skunky beer thing. Heineken, et al, smell and taste like the business end of a skunk. Literally. What's up with that?? And Stella - they try to play the "made in Belgium" card, but make no mistake, it is no Belgian-style beer. Just another skunky Heineken rip-off. You want Belgian, get Leffe, Hoegaarden, Gulden Draake...

So as we can see Jack is a beer sob..... :D

Ok I'll agree on everthing but Stella, it doesn't taste anything like Heineken (which is terrible), I'd actually take a bud light over Heineken. Yes it's not a Belgian-style beer but rather a lager (I think?), but it's still good in the summer. Ah and Becks, every body thinks that because it's made in Deutschland at it must be good. Well you can't buy Becks in Germany because it doesn't pass their purity laws.

Steinlager is the worst beer ever. New Zealand exports this stuff to the rest of the world and it is GROSS. They used to make a Steinlager Blue which was actually pretty good (I think it only came in cans) but it was a vast improvement over the export (green) stuff.

Aussie beers (and watch me get flamed here!) Tooheys and Fosters (with the exception as noted below) make the most disgusting stuff on the planet. I'm sure they recycle the samples from the horse races at Eagle Farm...

I'm not a beer drinker, and North American beer has done nothing to change my mind. However, there is one Kiwi beer I love - Speights Distinction Ale - and one Aussie - Crown Lager. The North American I'm still working on.

Aussie beers (and watch me get flamed here!) Tooheys and Fosters (with the exception as noted below) make the most disgusting stuff on the planet. I'm sure they recycle the samples from the horse races at Eagle Farm...
I spent a couple of months in Perth, and I don't recall a single commercial Australian beer that I liked.

I used to brew with a guy, his little brewpub was called "Red Dawg". He'd been in business about 5 or 6 years, when some shmuck from Miller comes in one day and slaps a lawsuit on the counter. Tells him they own the name, now that their beer's been on the grocery store shelf for a few months.

He built a damn fine new brewpub with the settlement, that beer put his kids through college.

wait...did I understand that correctly? they sued him and he won?

Noah, locally I haven't found a good place that has it on tap or can poor it correctly :angryfire At least not in Garfton or Whitinsville. I wounder if Post Office Pub right in Grafton is any good, I haven't been there in years so I don't remember.

The Post Office has Guiness on tap, and it will do just fine...but the wings suck, and the help has an attitude. The food is marginal at best, and they don't serve shots...therefore no Irish Car Bombs.

All told, I steer clear of that place as much as possible. Looks like the best option for a while will be my Homebrew: Bad Idea Brewing - That Guy Pale Ale is the current bottling, due to be released next weekend (After that comes an as of yet unnamed Bock, to be followed by a Pilsner...) and 42" of HD Red Sox games...

wait...did I understand that correctly? they sued him and he won?

yeah it happens with names more than you think....look at the WWE; they sued the World Wildlife Fund for the use of the initials WWF...they lost bigtime and not only ended up paying all the court costs but also penalized a bunch of money for the nuisance of bringing the suit in the first place.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :smashfrea :lol: :eplus2: Gawd I love this place its like a good local pub in many respects. we even throw someone out on the sidewalk occasionally.:eplus2:

the guy who likes the berry coolers with his bud lite is getting weird stares from the rest of the bar.

A heated which Guinness is best and how it compares to Heidi Klums sweaty arse argument is developing over in the corner booth.

etc etc its beautiful

I personally couldn't choke down a light anything if I had to. coors and bud being the lowest on my list.

Guinness :1luvu: saved me from a life of shame drinking wine coolers.

I never liked beer before my first guinness I still don't like the hoppy sugary american basics. I prefer brown ales now and the occasional stout. BLack and tans top the list of faves.

local best is MOOSE DROOL:biggthump

Buckhorn Beer .99 cents sixpacks (I bought 2 of them just to make sure)' Bought at a Safeway food store in SLC and shook for 12 WARM arduous hours in a jeep to Spokane, WA (Jeep= Short wheelbase) in August of 1982 and opened after having downed 3 Big Macs and fries and listening to Aldo Nova on a cassette tape player. The beer was higher in temperature than the McD's Cow on a Bun and what goes down must come UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Unibroue product: Maudite and Terrible are some of the best I've ever tasted. Spaten's Optimator is perfect with a Grilled Reuben Sandwich and Kettle Chips. Don't forget, cold beer and warm chocolate chip cookies on a Sunday afternoon. I know, I know it sounds SO disgusting, but it feels so right.

Mark

Guest dgiff
Funny that you'd mention Hite...I've got a couple friends who order that whenever we're out for dinner, but they've never gotten drunk off of it (and I don't drink it at all since I'm always driving, dammit - although perhaps that's a good thing, after your description of it).

My worst? Guiness. Oh. My. God. It's horrible. Hell, Colt 45 (an ultra-cheap, extra-large bottle beer usually purchased by alcoholics, the homeless or teens) is better. Although I will need to try skittlebrau sometime.

Actually, I've never had a hangover, so I can't comment on beer giving me that. :ices_ange But to finish on a more positive note, berry coolers and traditional beer go very well together - one in each hand, sip back and forth, bliss indeed.

guinness is a true beer period . . . . Thats all i can say

Guinness is only good if you like to chew your beer. And to everybody who says budweiser is so terrible, give me a break. Of course it's not one of those high-dollar beers, but comparing it to coors or busch or the like is like comparing (going back to famous poeple) Jessica Simpson to Lisa Simpson.

Corona is ok just plain. With a lime it's awesome. With a lime and a beach in mexico it's just amazing. I had more, but I got distracted, you're lucky. Later everbody.

Unibroue product: Maudite and Terrible are some of the best I've ever tasted.

Maudite set the Unibroue hook in me, but I've since discovered the beer that it is trying to be: Gulden Draake - waaaaay better.

Try Unibroue's Don de Dieu too - verrry smooth for 9% abv.

Spaten's Optimator is perfect with a Grilled Reuben Sandwich and Kettle Chips.

oh hell yes. Optimator is one of my faves. A German restaurant sorta near me has it on tap.

Guinness is only good if you like to chew your beer.

Bzzzz - wrong. Guiness is lighter and lower in calories than a lot of beers. Pour a black and tan and the Guiness floats on top. And the low/fine carbonation makes it very easy to drink.

Bzzzz - wrong. Guiness is lighter and lower in calories than a lot of beers. Pour a black and tan and the Guiness floats on top. And the low/fine carbonation makes it very easy to drink.

+1

Man all this talk about beer on a Friday, hmmm can't wait to get home and through down a few PBR's, Busch Light's, Buds, Meisterbrau, Keystone :lol: :AR15firin:smashfrea :D :eek: :o :eplus2::barf: